• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long eyelashes / new binoculars (1 Viewer)

mTown

Hello Guys,

I currently own a Nikon Prostaff 7s (8x30), which was my first "real" binoculars since I started birdwatching a few years ago, and I'm very satisfied with the price, too.
But now I want to buy a new (or used) pair of binoculars in the near future, with even better optical performance (CA control, sharpness) and above all more brightness. But it should also be quite compact, so I thought of an 8x4* or 10x4*. I didn't want to spend more than 500 Euro.

The "problem" with many binoculars is that I (I think at least that's why) often have "blackouts" due to my quite long eyelashes when I look through the eyecup. In my opinion, this is mainly due to the length over which the eyecups can be unscrewed. Examples are for example Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, Meopta Meostar B1 8x42, Swarovski binoculars.

I am therefore looking for binoculars with which you can unscrew the eyecups as far as possible and which possess the characteristics described above. Do you have any recommendations for me? I mean that here in the forum the Minox BL HD was recommended for such a case.

Thanks a lot!

Many expensive binoculars do have screw on and screw off eye cups to make it easier to clean the oculars. Even some moderately priced binoculars have eye cups like these.

Some people have tried using "O" rings inside the tubes of these binoculars to make the eye cups somewhat longer in order to get the longer eye relief they seek.

I have never had to try this on any of my binoculars so I can't can't help you here with that information. I think it would be a trial and error situation.

Bob

Last edited:
I've had similar blackout issues, but I've always associated it with my having deep-set eyes. I've noticed issues with long eyelashes at times too, though not quite to the extent you describe. Anyway, eyecups not extending adequately is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I've been able make due with resting the binocular eyecup on my brow bone when necessary, but it's not ideal. This issue has made it tough for me to find compact binoculars that are comfortable to use.

I own a Nikon 10x42 MHG, and the eyecups on it are excellent and extend sufficiently. I assume the 8x42 and 8x30 are similar, but it's above your price range. I tried the Maven C3 8x28, and it also had great eyecups with sufficient extension, but I couldn't stand the tunnel vision. If you're okay with a narrow FOV, the Maven C series might do. And if the Maven B3 8x30 has similar mechanical priorities, it might just do the trick with even better views. I haven't tried one yet though.

I'm currently evaluating a Meopta Meostar 8x32. The views are great, but the eyecups are horrid. Too short and too thin. They do screw off, however, and I can gain a few mm of extension. Maybe I'll try adding an O ring...

I'm curious about what others have to say about this topic.

Tim

Have you ever considered trimming your eyelashes?:king:
Ha, I actually did this once as a bit of of an experiment. Not to fix blackout issues, but because I thought I was getting excess skin oils on the eyepieces of my various optics. I can't say it helped much, but my wife noticed the difference immediately and laughed at my obsessiveness. It certainly wasn't an extreme trimming...but I did learn (or rather had it reaffirmed) that she's much more observant than I. :)

Ha, I actually did this once as a bit of of an experiment. Not to fix blackout issues, but because I thought I was getting excess skin oils on the eyepieces of my various optics. I can't say it helped much, but my wife noticed the difference immediately and laughed at my obsessiveness. It certainly wasn't an extreme trimming...but I did learn (or rather had it reaffirmed) that she's much more observant than I. :)
You could also curl them if you didn't want to cut them.:-O I trim my eyebrows all the time. I become a uni-brow if I don't.

Attachments

• 7e38b2db64e6490644a3bd159a090bf4.jpg
    7e38b2db64e6490644a3bd159a090bf4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back