• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

and here's a vid I took this morning of the GWE with some background murmurings of Phil and Dave! Phil quote 'that big White thing'.. Oh and it's my 132 nd of the year and 170 th lifer for UW :) Another video clip to follow where Dave is phoning John in the background and John clearly puts the phone down to get out of the house!

http://youtu.be/4RdbiiJpXi4

Last edited:
A bit tame for you Dave..that's not what you usually call me and you don't say that when your drinking my Tea8-P
I think you should be bringing cakes to the work party, to celebrate the record;)

Ok big bro - you know I don't mean it! :-O

Got a few cakes packed for the work party tomorrow. :t:

Congratulations Dave on breaking the record. What a bird to do it with?

Well done to Sy for finding it. All those early mornings have paid off at last.

Thanks Gert for texting me. Unfortunately it had flown by the time I got there; it's been that kind of year for me at UW! If only I hadn't gone to a Gentlemen's Curry Club in Luton and a subsequent Beer Festival on Friday I might have risen from my bed earlier and seen the bird. Still, had the compensation of seeing the Desert Wheatear (a lifer) at Titterstone Clee Hill.

Congratulations Dave on breaking the record. What a bird to do it with?

Well done to Sy for finding it. All those early mornings have paid off at last.

Thanks Gert for texting me. Unfortunately it had flown by the time I got there; it's been that kind of year for me at UW! If only I hadn't gone to a Gentlemen's Curry Club in Luton and a subsequent Beer Festival on Friday I might have risen from my bed earlier and seen the bird. Still, had the compensation of seeing the Desert Wheatear (a lifer) at Titterstone Clee Hill.

Andy why don't you Gert and Mark organise a beer festival at Upton:smoke:B :)B :)

Yesterday's sightings

Also on the reserve today
Moors:
Shoveler 15, Teal 70, Snipe 8, redpoll 9

Flashes (water level 0.28) - still very dry around periphery.
Teal 2, Lapwing 400, Snipe 12, Linnet 20+, Lesser Redpoll 7

I must admit I didn't do the usual counts today, for some reason:t:

In addition to the above and the GWE, in the morning I had:

MOORS
46 Teal, 21 Tufted Duck, 202 Coot, 5 Pochard, 3 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 19 Curlew, 24 Canada G, 6 Mute Swan, 4 Grey Heron, 23 Cormorant, 14 Greylag Geese over

FLASHES
30 Teal (so a miniumum of 76 on the reserve), 1 Grey Heron

Work Party

As per John's recent note a good turn out for some bramble management on the 'Sandy Heath' at the Education reserve today. We made a good impact in a couple of hours or so.
Pics show one of the areas tackled and the merry band of Bramble pickers by the mound we managed to remove! Better quality pics per Flickr link below

Attachments

• P1030236(1)(1).JPG
    P1030236(1)(1).JPG
    357 KB · Views: 98
  • P1030238(1)(1).JPG
    P1030238(1)(1).JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Nice one Des, it was good to see you earning that tick.

For me, it was a great way to break through to 143 species for the year. My first GWE for the reserve and my 3rd for Worcestershire. My photo attached (not as good as Sy's, but he deserves it more than me). Cheers.

Nice one Dave. Congratulations on taking the new record - I know how many fruitless visits it takes to get such a total! Fully deserved after all your efforts over the last couple of years. And what a bird to take it with. I'm sure you won't stop now - 150 beckons!

have a look at these

can you check these for me, wondering with the swift because of pale throat and i think the other is a juvi wheatear could someone confirm either way, cheers in anticipation.

Attachments

• _DSC5092.jpg
    _DSC5092.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 102
  • _DSC5195.jpg
    _DSC5195.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00800.jpg
    DSC00800.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 118
Nice one Dave. Congratulations on taking the new record - I know how many fruitless visits it takes to get such a total! Fully deserved after all your efforts over the last couple of years. And what a bird to take it with. I'm sure you won't stop now - 150 beckons!

Cheers Stu, I reckon 145 is do-able and is a realistic target for the end of the year - also a nice challenge for someone to have a crack at in the future. Think I'll give it a rest next year, though - it has been great but, as you rightly say, it's a hard slog. :t:

I enjoyed my first volunteer day at UW. nice bunch of guys. well sort of.

Barry (cockney)

Nice one Barry, thanks for helping us out mate..like being at ome with all the other 'cockney' boys with us today innit..well Gert and Gav anyway.

Glad you didn't suffer too much. Just a warm up for next weeks session at the Flashes.B :)John
ps we get biscuits as well as squash.

Last edited:

Hi Stu, well your record stood for a good few years mate. You can hand the trophy over boxing day or when you next come up. I think the cake that crofty junior brought today will suffice.
Dave what was it?

see you soon Stu, let us know when you are coming up.B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back