• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Raptor (1 Viewer)

attachment.php

It does remind me of this pig of a mystery photo I posted a few years ago!

There is a similarity with your photo Jane, but surely, yours was a Red or Black kite.

ROD.

it has sth. of a juv bonelli's eagle but is not quite right. six fingers could suggest goshawk (in moult). otherwise i also came on phil's idea of an immature white-tailed eagle...maybe that's what it is?

For me its a Rough Legged Buzzard, been seeing them a lot of late here on passage, looks like one to me....;)

took this photo which reminds me of yours, though this one less sillouetted..

Now go ahead an' tell mr I'm wrong...!

Attachments

• AAROUGHLEG.jpg
    AAROUGHLEG.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 86
My gut reaction before opening the pic was Marsh Harrier, but on closer examination I fall into the young White-taile Eagle camp, largely on the basis of the 'serrated' trailing edge to the wing, and what appears to be a white interior to one of the outer tail feathers.

Stuart

Well done Recovering Scot! - spot on at 2nd attempt.

It is indeed a 1st yr WTE - one of several quick shots I took of one that flew over the car the other lunchtime - it's a yellow wingtagged bird.

Given the guesses it just shows how deceptive a single cropped pic can be.

Cheers,
Andrew

Well done Recovering Scot! - spot on at 2nd attempt.

It is indeed a 1st yr WTE - one of several quick shots I took of one that flew over the car the other lunchtime - it's a yellow wingtagged bird.

Given the guesses it just shows how deceptive a single cropped pic can be.

Cheers,
Andrew

It's a good job I have never seen the species in the wild. If I saw them every day, like Sparrowhawks, I'd have got it wrong.

Interesting how the obvious characteritics sometimes are overlooked because you get a different idea in your head. When I just concentrated on what was visible, it seemed quite natural. Well done on a first-class teaser, though, any bird that can be identifed as any one of a half-dozen unrelated sub-families makes a good challenge.

Cheers,

Excellent thread Andrew, it proves how wrong we can all be with ID's. Well done to Phil on getting it correct.

ROD.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back