• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CF okay... but what about the center column? (1 Viewer)

KorHaan

I've been thinking lately about buying a new tripod. I use a Velbon Sherpa Pro 530 CF now and it's a good pod. The thing that bugs me a bit is the center column. It's made of metal and rather long. I'm 6'4'' and even with an angled scope I have to pull up the column 3/4 of its total length.
The stability is much better when I sit down on a stool and don't extend the column at all. Which I prefer to do whenever it's possible, and that is on most of my outings.

I could purchase a taller tripod and then use the column only a slight bit up.
The greater weight of the whole set-up is what's keeping me from doing so.
I have no car and my current CF 530 is wonderfully lightweight; not much of a problem to transport on my bike or to carry around.

What came to mind when looking at tripods on the internet was: why are the center columns of tripods made of metal when the legs are carbon fibre?
Why are center columns not made of carbon fibre as well?

Or do all-carbon fibre tripods exist and am I missing something?
CF is better than metal in vibration dampening, and is at least as strong ( when I consider the pathetic thin center column of my 530 ), so it puzzles me why tripod manufacturers would compromise the superior CF legs with metal columns?

Anyone who could shed some light on this, please?
I welcome all suggestions and thoughts on this.
Oh, and selling my Zeiss Diascope 65A to buy a lightweight Nikon ED 50 is NOT an option!

Thanks,

Ronald

Gitzo, some new Manfrotto, Benro, and Induro all offer tripods with CF center columns.

IMO, it's a false economy to have a too short tripod. The extra 1/2 or full pound of weight can pay off greatly in stabilty.
If you're willing to spend the money, Gitzo (in particular) has some quite tall, yet light tripods.

My guess is that they get away with simpler locking mechanisms for the center post with a metal post (with the CF being a more sensitive material).
The difference in center post locking mechanism between a gitzo and my velbon 630 CF tripod is huge (the gitzo is way way better).

My solution was to get a higher tripod and skip the post alltogether ;) , I got a gitzo systematic (for photography)

Thanks guys, then Gitzo it is. I should have known, because I already use the Gitzo 2180 head and I'm very impressed with it.
I skip the center post when I'm in the field sitting on a walkstool, for the time being it's OK.
Spending big bucks for a tall CF Gitzo seems worth it.
On the other hand I'm lusting after IS bins too, this will be a difficult decision. New Gitzo tripod legs will cost about the same as Canon 18x50's IS bins.
Tough one, this, as I can only spend the money on one of them.
Maybe second hand for the Gitzo, and 12x36's Canons....

But thank you both again, your suggestions are well received.
I'll look around in shops to try them out and come back if I've made up my mind.

Regards, Ronald

This is the one I'd like to have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...42L_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html#specifications

The "L" versions offer a lot of height and capacity for a 3.1 lb tripod. A bonus is that it has enough height to accommodate a straight scope if you wanted to put one on it. Big scopes and big binos should be right at home as well.
Really, a beautiful piece of kit.

I'm also getting IS fever lately Ronald, is there something in the air?

Thanks guys, then Gitzo it is. I should have known, because I already use the Gitzo 2180 head and I'm very impressed with it.
I skip the center post when I'm in the field sitting on a walkstool, for the time being it's OK.
Spending big bucks for a tall CF Gitzo seems worth it.
On the other hand I'm lusting after IS bins too, this will be a difficult decision. New Gitzo tripod legs will cost about the same as Canon 18x50's IS bins.
Tough one, this, as I can only spend the money on one of them.
Maybe second hand for the Gitzo, and 12x36's Canons....

But thank you both again, your suggestions are well received.
I'll look around in shops to try them out and come back if I've made up my mind.

Regards, Ronald
If you are out for a tall CF tripod with or without CF centerpost and want to save some money you should seriously consider Feisol: http://www.feisol.nl/carbon-statieven-grote-statieven-c-1_10.html. 95% Gitzo quality @ 55% Gitzo prices. Especially the CT-3371 could be the one for you.

This is the one I'd like to have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...42L_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html#specifications

The "L" versions offer a lot of height and capacity for a 3.1 lb tripod. A bonus is that it has enough height to accommodate a straight scope if you wanted to put one on it. Big scopes and big binos should be right at home as well.
Really, a beautiful piece of kit.

I'm also getting IS fever lately Ronald, is there something in the air?

Hi Kevin,

That one looks spot on for me too!
The weight is only 1.4 kg, and with an angled scope I'd hardly have to extend the center column. But would I buy them? I'll explain.

As for the IS fever: I mentioned the Canon 18x50's because I've seen and tried them, and they would make excellent backup bins with my 8x32 roofs.
I seriously consider buying them to replace my scope and tripod on more active birding trips, and in the woods. My Diascope has fixed 23x mag, so the difference isn't too great. The stability of the 18x Canons is really that good, that I truly consider them to be a competitor for my scope!
And they are a lot easier to carry around than a scope on a tripod, and quicker on the bird as well. Too often do I miss birds flying overhead because I can't get my scope on them in time.

It would seem that I get a bit off topic, but the purchase of a better tripod may only make sense if I dismiss the purchase of IS bins. I can't have them both, unfortunately. The Gitzo GT 2542L Mountaineer is very tempting, though.
But on the other hand, oh well, IS is too...
Next month is my birthday, maybe I can make my mind up on what I really want.

Thanks,

Ronald

If you are out for a tall CF tripod with or without CF centerpost and want to save some money you should seriously consider Feisol: http://www.feisol.nl/carbon-statieven-grote-statieven-c-1_10.html. 95% Gitzo quality @ 55% Gitzo prices. Especially the CT-3371 could be the one for you.

Thanks!

The CT-3371 will be too heavy, but the 3372 looks good ( although more expensive ). The 3371 of 2.2 kg with added 450 grams for the centerpost is almost the weight of my scope and Velbon together, so the 3371 is not an option. The 3372 is better in that regard.
Feisol may be harder to find here in shops, never saw them on the websites of big internet optics providers.

I'm grateful for your suggestion, though.
I know now that good, affordable CF pods with CF center columns do exist, and in various brands, too.

Thanks, Ronald

If your scope is only 2-3Kg, also consider the Gitzo GT-1531...

No, my scope is 1.33 kg. The scope AND tripod are around 3 kg. I guess that's what you mean. The 1531 is not going to be an improvement on my current Velbon, I think. It ( the Velbon ) is stable enough apart from the metal centerpost. I must have long legs short centerpost.

Regards, Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back