• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replace Nikon Ed78 with Swarovski ATS 65HD? (1 Viewer)

MacGee

I have a Nikon ED 78 that I mostly use with a 30x MC eyepiece. Would there be any benefits in terms of optics, weight, handiness, digiscoping, or anything else, if I bought a Swarovski ATS 65HD with 30xw eyepiece?

Michael

Only if you value the Swaro weatherproofing, size/weight and high cost. The view would almost certainly be better in the Nikon.

Rick

I agree with Rick, adding that having owned and used an ED 78 A for a number of years, I would rate its weatherproofing very good to excellent in real field use. Mine never fogged up caused problems of any kind despite often getting rained upon. If one intends to submerge the scope or habitually spends hours and hours in rain, then the added security of a fully waterproof model may be an advantage.

Kimmo

I own the ats65hd and I really like it. I have never tried a scope I prefer over this. The ergonomics with the heliocentric focuser is the best out there imo and the view leaves little to be desired.

I don't see any real gain to be had for your money and you'd be giving up valuable aperture. You might look for a 30x DS or MC wide EP however.

I own and use an ED78 and have in the past owned an ATS65HD, both are very good scopes... but given the chance I'd switch back to the Swaro I con't put my finger on exactly why but the 65HD is the best scope I've ever had it was a big mistake to change it. :-C

Yes,
I agree. It has something special about it. I have never felt the urge to change my 65HD for another scope. And that is historic considering how short life expectancy my other optical and technical instruments has.

I own and use an ED78 and have in the past owned an ATS65HD, both are very good scopes... but given the chance I'd switch back to the Swaro I con't put my finger on exactly why but the 65HD is the best scope I've ever had it was a big mistake to change it. :-C

I have never felt the urge to change my 65HD for another scope.

Ha! That's how I feel about my 78ED. I've purchased a lot of bins over the years but have stuck with my 78ED because it is optically about as good as a scope can be (certainly, when used at 30x). Since it was the original "compact" 80mm class scope, it is competitive with all the latest compact designs in that respect as well. My only gripes are that I wish it were rubber armored, had a slide out hood to keep rain off the objective, and that it were better sealed (unlike Kimmo, I've not had good luck getting mine wet).

I've supplemented my 78ED with a 50ED, but I still use the big scope most often. I also got a 30x DS when they were selling for $70. Overall, it's a trivial improvement on the 30x WF or MC, but it's an impressively massive eyepiece (especially compared to the WF) and has better eye-relief for glasses and a flatter field for digiscoping.

--AP

Thanks for your interesting views. Owing to a slight brain malfunction, I said that I used the ED78 mostly with a 30x MC, but I meant 30x Wide DS. Sorry. 1 a.m. is too late for me to be trying to think.

I'm happy enough with the Nikon, but the weight is sometimes a pain. And the Swarovski design looks just gorgeous. And there are times when I arrive at a hot birding site and find that everyone else, without exception, is using a Swarovski angled 65mm scope. It seems to be standard issue in Scotland.

My optics acquisition gland had been dormant for a while, but it's not the vigorous organ it was and I suspect that, in the event, the idea of spending upwards of £1500 will be more than enough to put it peacefully to sleep again.

Michael

Hi Michael,

If you bought a used Swaro scope you wouldn't have to spend £1500 or more. All of my Swaro optics were purchased second hand & all together I've paid less than half the new price.
As to the quality, both opticaly & build, I feel the same as Kristoffer & Postcardcv the scope is a pleasure to use. I've only used 1 scope that is optically better & that's the Kowa 883.
IMO the diferences between the top manufactures is very slim so whichever scopes birders purchase is more a personal preferance.

Cheers, Neil.

I'm happy enough with the Nikon, but the weight is sometimes a pain.

The Swarovski 65 is probably no more than 5 or 10 ounces lighter than the Nikon 78, which is trivial as a percentage of total scope + tripod weight. Better to add weight with a good neoprene tripod strap.

And the Swarovski design looks just gorgeous. And there are times when I arrive at a hot birding site and find that everyone else, without exception, is using a Swarovski angled 65mm scope.

Ah, well, perhaps they lack imagination, because there are plenty of other good scopes besides the Swarovski 65. And I sure hope they all have the HD version because only a style-governed fool would spend on the nonHD over something like the Nikon 78 or 82 ED. In my neck of the woods, the Nikon 78ED has never been a popular scope. Most folks had the old Kowa TSN, and if they bought something new they got the original Swarovski ST scope (not sure if the HD version had come on the market by then). So I'm used to folks being confused by or dismissive of my scope until/unless they look through it.

--AP

And there are times when I arrive at a hot birding site and find that everyone else, without exception, is using a Swarovski angled 65mm scope. It seems to be standard issue in Scotland.
l

Another reason I love my Nikon 82ED, it's good to be different sometimes!

Perry

And there are times when I arrive at a hot birding site and find that everyone else, without exception, is using a Swarovski angled 65mm scope. It seems to be standard issue in Scotland.

When I read this I thought here's a good reason not to get a Swaro 65. As has been said, there are many fine scopes available these days in addition to Swaros.
Nobody is disputing that the Swaro (HD) is a great scope, it is. It does have a superior zoom to Nikon's, for instance. But, you use a wide 30x on your 78ED and with these fixed EPs on a Fieldscope I seriously doubt any gains are to be had going to a Swarovski with a similar EP, from a visual standpoint.

I was aware that it's been a couple of days, maybe a week, since I last replied to this thread. I'm appalled to see how long it's actually been. I apologise, but though I'm obviously deficient in common courtesy, I have read and greatly appreciated all your contributions. They were very helpful.

The upshot is that I've decided to stick with the ED78. I will have to buy a new head for it, and will start a new thread to ask about that.

Michael

I'm happy enough with the Nikon, but the weight is sometimes a pain. And the Swarovski design looks just gorgeous. And there are times when I arrive at a hot birding site and find that everyone else, without exception, is using a Swarovski angled 65mm scope. It seems to be standard issue in Scotland.

Michael

Sorry Micheal, but does it mean that those who owned Swarovski is one step ahead than other brands in Scotland ?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back