• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Not much more to add about today, the roost didnt add up to much, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, 6+ Green sand, 2 common sand, 29 Curlew.
However a heavy object was thrown at the back of the hide (from the transmitter field), i have suspitions as to whom the coulprets were but wont go into any detail on the fourum.
lets hope this behaviour doesnt comtinue with the new hide!
MB
If you ever see anything suspicious around the reserve, don't get involved if you think you cannot handle the situation. Ring me or one of the Lads or the police or more importantly the WORCESTERSHIRE WILDLIFE TRUST, in the present climate I think there will be zero tolerance from the 'old bill'. If you have a camera take distant pics of people and car numbers and pass them onto me or the Lads. I have found over the years it is best to nip things in the bud before it becomes a problem. Thankfully and touch wood the reserve is a very safe and friendly place to be with so many birders/photographers present everyday (apart from people not wanting to pay for a permit8-P).
B :)John

Last edited:
A series of photos from today the first 2 were taken from the 1st Flash hide looking over the 1st flash ..showing new areas of reed bed that are appearing all over the place. They also show the areas of mud, that should hold passage waders over the coming weeks if the 2nd Flash dries out.
pic 3 shows some of the 100's of ducks and geese in the north field.
pic 4 is a moth resting in the 1st flash hide.

Would agree with Copper Underwing, although difficult to fully rule out Svensson's without seeing the hindwing (so i gather ;))

Mike

14/08/11

Not a bad day today. The migrants should come pouring in over the next few weeks.B :)

Attached is a record shot of the female juvenile Ruff - it never really came close enough to get anything decent.

The second image is possibly the most bizarre picture of a Dunlin you will ever see. Mark Islip saw it along the path near the bench. It then walked into the nearby hedge and climbed into the undergrowth. It looked like it may have injured its wing - I just hope it recovers before any predators find it.

Thirdly, a picture of the underwing of a male Common Blue.

Attachments

• Ruff UW140811.jpg
    Ruff UW140811.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Dunlin UW 140811.jpg
    Dunlin UW 140811.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 122
  • Common Blue UW 140811.jpg
    Common Blue UW 140811.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 72
Will the new hide be any closer to the "water" on the Flashes? I use quotes as there doesn't seem to be much water there (or anywhere for that matter - Draycote Water was as low as I've ever seen it, yesterday).

Has anyone got the design plans for it to show? Would be interested to see the heights of the 2 levels in it.

Might be worth incorporating a gun-tower into the top, to deal with these cretins who hurl things at the hide... ;)

Will the new hide be any closer to the "water" on the Flashes? I use quotes as there doesn't seem to be much water there (or anywhere for that matter - Draycote Water was as low as I've ever seen it, yesterday).

Has anyone got the design plans for it to show? Would be interested to see the heights of the 2 levels in it.

Might be worth incorporating a gun-tower into the top, to deal with these cretins who hurl things at the hide... ;)

I've not seen any designs / plans etc. However, I've been told that it will have a similar footprint to the existing hide. The upper storey will be at a similar height to the existing and the lower storey will be at ground level. The front of the hide will be shifted forward slightly (a few yards) and the fox-proof fence adjusted slightly so that it buts up to the sides of the hide (rather than in front) and doesn't obscure the view.

Apparently, the people who are building it have never constructed a bird hide before (hence, the 3-weeks build-time!!) :eek!:. However, I'm assured by the Trust reserve manager that it is a "good design". I guess we'll soon see. As far as I understand, the chosen contractor was decided unilaterally by the Trust.

I like your idea above BTW. :t:

Last edited:
The second image is possibly the most bizarre picture of a Dunlin you will ever see. Mark Islip saw it along the path near the bench. It then walked into the nearby hedge and climbed into the undergrowth. It looked like it may have injured its wing - I just hope it recovers before any predators find it.

Thirdly, a picture of the underwing of a male Common Blue.[/QUOTE]

That's a strange sight seeing a Dunlin in the undergrowth. Looks like it must be injured as you say. Will be interesting if there is report of Dunlin today.

Just a quick note off topic - I was chuffed as a train to hear today that some images I took recently in Scotland, of an osprey being chased off by some ducks, made the National Press on Friday.

Here's a link to the Daily Mail's online version (not sure if it made the printed copies).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ucks-fighting-lives-make-cunning-escapes.html

I'm rather proud of it, to say the least. :)

There are more from the series on my website (Birds of Prey section) and also on my Flickr account.

Again no news on a Monday? Surely someone will have been down based on Sunday's sightings. Think Ruff and Tree Pipit puts us on 146 for the year. Will post the stats for Tree Pipit when I get back from Norfolk - still a very scarce bird at Upton. Several Spotshanld in Staffs at the mo so must be half a chance.

Anti social behaviour!

If you ever see anything suspicious around the reserve, don't get involved if you think you cannot handle the situation. Ring me or one of the Lads or the police or more importantly the WORCESTERSHIRE WILDLIFE TRUST, in the present climate I think there will be zero tolerance from the 'old bill'. If you have a camera take distant pics of people and car numbers and pass them onto me or the Lads. I have found over the years it is best to nip things in the bud before it becomes a problem. Thankfully and touch wood the reserve is a very safe and friendly place to be with so many birders/photographers present everyday (apart from people not wanting to pay for a permit8-P).
B :)John

I fear that this kind of behaviour might become more widespread, especially in the school holidays and also if we have a hot spell. Whilst doing some wildlife photography I and more importantly a nesting Great Crested Grebe were pelted with rocks at Trimpley Reservoir by 4 drunken scum-bags only a couple of weeks ago! Fortunately we both came out of it unscathed and she now has 3 beautiful chicks and is now safe on the water! Why go to such a lovely place if don't have any respect for its inhabitants? Weird!

Again no news on a Monday? Surely someone will have been down based on Sunday's sightings. Think Ruff and Tree Pipit puts us on 146 for the year. Will post the stats for Tree Pipit when I get back from Norfolk - still a very scarce bird at Upton. Several Spotshanld in Staffs at the mo so must be half a chance.

Nothing on Worcester birding either....Gavo while you are off from Uni mate, Monday's is yours for the taking;). It might be worth putting this forum's website in the log books. I'll be there tomorrowB :)John
I notice there is a region wide movement of tree pipit and a few little gulls

I visited the flashes briefly this afternoon and noted the following:
14 Greylags, 1 Imm Shelduck, Mallards, Lapwings, 4 Common Sands, 7 Green Sands, Black-headed Gulls, 5 Stock Doves, 1 Sparrowhawk and a few Goldfinches and Linnets.
Cheers,
Roger

I visited the flashes briefly this afternoon and noted the following:
14 Greylags, 1 Imm Shelduck, Mallards, Lapwings, 4 Common Sands, 7 Green Sands, Black-headed Gulls, 5 Stock Doves, 1 Sparrowhawk and a few Goldfinches and Linnets.
Cheers,
Roger

I visited the Flashes in the late afternoon and have little to add to Roger's tally: a Swallow and some House Martins at the Sailing Pool, a Blackcap in the large conifer by the boardwalk, and a Buzzard flying over the Flashes, which were even dryer than ever.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back