Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Questionnaire: What Do You Think About Birds Of Prey?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 10:33   #1
amym389
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 2
Exclamation Questionnaire: What Do You Think About Birds Of Prey?

My name is Amy and I am a third-year student at Nottingham Trent University. I am studying for my BSc Wildlife Conservation degree, and I have created this questionnaire to determine public perceptions of birds of prey in Northern Ireland compared to England. The data received will be analysed and interpreted for my dissertation. All returned questionnaires will be completely anonymous, so please answer all questions honestly.

‘Birds of prey’ and ‘raptors’ may be used interchangeably throughout.

In total, there are 15 mandatory questions and 6 optional questions. However, if you do not want to answer a question, you do not need to.

It would be massively appreciated if you could fill this in. Here is the link:
https://ntusurvey.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/5k2thygx9m-11
amym389 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 10:48   #2
PYRTLE
Registered User
 
PYRTLE's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 5,609
Completed.
PYRTLE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 14:04   #3
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 15,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Completed.
Ditto.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 15:03   #4
crapbirder
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: norfolk
Posts: 158
Am I correct in thinking that public acknowledgement of completing this survey means to do so is no longer anonymous?
crapbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 15:11   #5
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 12,129
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
Am I correct in thinking that public acknowledgement of completing this survey means to do so is no longer anonymous?
Probably only if results are time-stamped, no-one has else has done it at exactly the same time, and the OP comes on here and works out who people actually are (from avatar/details given/illegal GDPR dissemination of data by BirdForum), and cares enough to do so.

So probably not?
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 15:43   #6
Hauksen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 882
Hi Dan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Probably only if results are time-stamped, no-one has else has done it at exactly the same time, and the OP comes on here and works out who people actually are (from avatar/details given/illegal GDPR dissemination of data by BirdForum), and cares enough to do so.
If you can do that, it legally means the information is not anonymous by the definition of the GDPR, as implied by https://gdpr-info.eu/recitals/no-26/

Is birdforum subject to the GDPR anyway? I didn't find any imprint with company data, other than the name Birdforum Ltd.

Regards,

Henning
__________________
3D Printable Objects for Bird Watching: https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/bird-watching/things
Hauksen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 16:08   #7
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 12,129
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
If you can do that, it legally means the information is not anonymous by the definition of the GDPR, as implied by https://gdpr-info.eu/recitals/no-26/

Is birdforum subject to the GDPR anyway? I didn't find any imprint with company data, other than the name Birdforum Ltd.
My understanding (which may be flawed ) is that a business or organization can't give out personal details to a third party without that person's permission?

I don't see a privacy policy as such on this website, the closest would seem to be this -
https://www.birdforum.net/help/How_d..._my_account%3F

Emails used to be given out for occasional marketing, such as binocular competitions, no idea if that is still legal in the uk.


EDIT: this may be off-topic, but at least it will still be promoting the OPs survey above as gets more views
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 16:32   #8
Hauksen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 882
Hi Dan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
My understanding (which may be flawed ) is that a business or organization can't give out personal details to a third party without that person's permission?
It's correct, and even applies to private persons if they exceed normal private use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Emails used to be given out for occasional marketing, such as binocular competitions, no idea if that is still legal in the uk.
There are quite a number of small things you have to observe when you do this if you want to be GDPR compliant, but it's not automatically illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
EDIT: this may be off-topic, but at least it will still be promoting the OPs survey above as gets more views
I'd certainly love to fill in the survey, but German postal codes have 5 digits, and I couldn't find out how to provide only the first half of these as required by the questionnaire ;-)

Regards,

Henning
__________________
3D Printable Objects for Bird Watching: https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/bird-watching/things
Hauksen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 16:44   #9
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 12,129
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Hi Dan,
It's correct, and even applies to private persons if they exceed normal private use.
There are quite a number of small things you have to observe when you do this if you want to be GDPR compliant, but it's not automatically illegal.
I'd certainly love to fill in the survey, but German postal codes have 5 digits, and I couldn't find out how to provide only the first half of these as required by the questionnaire ;-)

Regards,

Henning
Thanks Henning,

Yes, I was looking for a privacy policy to include a statement or something to the effect that emails could/would be sent. tbh I can't remember when the last was sent out but probably ages ago and before the UK became GDPR compliant ...

I'm guessing what kind of stand you'd be taking? I presume the views of bop lovers/bop haters will be pretty obvious, and link to the question on whether you belong to a relevant organization. What would be most interesting is if this survey was filled in by the max number of 'ordinary people' with no vested interest in England and NI (eg people on knitting, motorbike or classic car forums), but I'm sure that will come out in the analysis ...
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 20:14   #10
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 15,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
Am I correct in thinking that public acknowledgement of completing this survey means to do so is no longer anonymous?
I don't see how anyone would know your ID from filling in the survey? Nowhere are you asked any personal data.

The only people who know I've filled this in, are readers of this forum who, may or may not know who I am and I don't care one way or the other tbh.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 20:38   #11
Hauksen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 882
Hi Andy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I don't see how anyone would know your ID from filling in the survey?
If you fill in the survey, and immediately afterwards post here that you have done this, it would theoretically be possible to combine the knowledge about the time at which a survey was finished with the knowledge of when you posted about it to make the informed guess that the "anonymous" answers belong to you. Accordingly, they would not be anonymous any more.

However, that's the kind of thought experiment computer scientists engage in, and I don't think it's something to be concerned of in this particular example.

Regards,

Henning
__________________
3D Printable Objects for Bird Watching: https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/bird-watching/things
Hauksen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 09:03   #12
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 15,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Hi Andy,



If you fill in the survey, and immediately afterwards post here that you have done this, it would theoretically be possible to combine the knowledge about the time at which a survey was finished with the knowledge of when you posted about it to make the informed guess that the "anonymous" answers belong to you. Accordingly, they would not be anonymous any more.

However, that's the kind of thought experiment computer scientists engage in, and I don't think it's something to be concerned of in this particular example.

Regards,

Henning
This would only work if, I posted that I had done so, at or around the time I did, what if I didn't?
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 09:18   #13
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hants
Posts: 1,445
There are serious implications around losing anonymity, e.g. if someone was whistleblowing or complaining about a manager, then could subsequently be identified as she was the only female in the office, and the whistleblower was referred to as "she".
I can't think of any similar consequences in this case though.
__________________
Blogging since 2006!: https://pdjwildlife.blogspot.com/
peter.jones is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 09:46   #14
Hauksen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 882
Hi Andy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
This would only work if, I posted that I had done so, at or around the time I did, what if I didn't?
You're right, that's why I wrote "informed guess" :-)

Regards,

Henning
__________________
3D Printable Objects for Bird Watching: https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/bird-watching/things
Hauksen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Large prey items of birds of prey Richard Prior Birds & Birding 24 Tuesday 31st December 2013 08:13
Dissertation Questionnaire - please help! cranefan Birds & Birding 14 Wednesday 30th May 2012 11:10
what birds of prey will carry off prey while its still alive? scuba0095 Birds Of Prey 12 Thursday 12th January 2006 20:56

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.15051603 seconds with 28 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38.