• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron 2nd generation SP 150-600mm Di VC USD 'G2' (1 Viewer)

At the moment I am shooting jpeg Fine as I don’t understand RAW sufficiently and don’t have an editing program. My son shoots RAW and reckons, if you’re not careful, you just get mountains of RAW files that you don’t get round to editing/processing.

Raw files are big and can backup your disk, yes!

Personally, I use this method for photos (this applies to my "serious" shots of things, I am much more lenient with personal snapshots with family or friends). I use Lightroom as it has an easy and fast way to reject photos then delete them. Using the built-in Photos app (I'm on mac) is much slower to review a large number of files.

I load them all into Lightroom, and do one pass through them all looking for bad shots (out of focus, boring, obviously wrong) and press the "x" button to reject them. This is a quick pass to get rid of the obviously unusable. Then I select "delete rejected photos" and remove them from disk (they end up in the trash that I then empty). If I am shooting something like the d850 at 45 MP, the raw files are hugh! Often I will load all the JPEG files in this step and do this process on them, then in the last step load the RAW file of the final down-selected images.

Then I do a second pass where for each photo I decide if I want to edit it. This decision is more on the quality of the content, like is it interesting or showing some behavior. For every burst of similar photos, I try to pick only 1 or 2 and get rid of all the other duplicates. At this point, I'm also deciding in 1:1 or 1:3 loupe view if the photo is truly in focus and throwing it out if not. Same method, press "x" then at the end delete all the rejected.

Finally, I'm down to a manageable number of photos (maybe about 20 - 30 out of 300 - 500). Then I edit them (crop, fix lighting, etc.) and during that process I might thrown out another 1/2 of them because they are not really an interesting shot or cannot be salvaged. So, after an afternoon of shooting, I might walk away with 10 - 20 good shots.

Everything else went in the trash and was deleted. After years of doing this, I know that I'm never going to go back to look at a boring photo again.

marc

There's another setting to disable beep (I always do that!).

I tend to use the arrow keys to select things on the Info menu, though really I don't use the Info menu that much as it requires looking away from the viewfinder. I'm more of a knob and button guy.

Marc

I like the in-focus beep but have selected the higher pitched one as it’s not as loud and is therefore less obtrusive.

Just blown some money on a Tamron G2 150-600 which arrived 2 days ago. Havent used it anger yet, as the weather is awful, but if it's a few degrees better than the G1, then i'd be happy enough.

I got some decent pics with the G1 , then sold it for Nikon 500 f4 prime but i got fed up with the weight and sold the 500mm

Some G1 pics uploaded and if the G2 can equal, but hopefully better the G1, it will be money well spent, especially as i got twice the money for the second hand 500mm prime that i paid for a new G2

G1 pics added

Attachments

• Whitethroat Male.jpg
    Whitethroat Male.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Common Tern Inflight 2.jpg
    Common Tern Inflight 2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Starling scrap 2.jpg
    Starling scrap 2.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 49
I like the in-focus beep but have selected the higher pitched one as it’s not as loud and is therefore less obtrusive.

For you, other human beings, or wildlife?
Keep in mind that the human range of hearing is very different from a lot of animals in terms of frequency range. Think about the high frequency (high pitch) whistles that (most) humans don't hear but dogs obey. Or the high pitches in a lot of bird songs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back