• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Soaring Sparrowhawks in January? (UK) (1 Viewer)

birderUK007

Hi there

Was out birding today and over a large lake in inland Gloucestershire I saw a bird of prey soaring above it, not ridiculously high but certainly above the tree line. My first impression was Peregrine, it didn't circle as if on thermals, it glided across the sky and changed direction with barely a wing beat. There was no flap-flap-glide of the Sparrowhawk and the general shape was not Kestrel. The tail was fanned a lot.

I've never seen a Peregrine at this location before but have seen Sparrowhawks.

I know Sparrowhawks can soar in early Spring for mating reasons, but would they do so in January? Is this ever a method they use for hunting?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Regarding soaring Sprawks in Jan, they can soar at anytime,
on the 19th Dec.(last), I had male and female displaying for c10-15 minutes, fine still days are probably best for soaring purposes regarding Accipters.

FWIW...You mentioned Peregrine (for size?), you also suggested no real discernible flapping during the soaring, I have observed Goshawk gliding with the occasional tail twitch over a long distance without any wing movement, might be worth another visit.

Cheers

Last edited:
Regarding soaring Sprawks in Jan, they can soar at anytime,
on the 19th Dec.(last), I had male and female displaying for c10-15 minutes, fine still days are probably best for soaring purposes regarding Accipters.

FWIW...You mentioned Peregrine (for size?), you also suggested no real discernible flapping during the soaring, I have observed Goshawk gliding with the occasional tail twitch over a long distance without any wing movement, might be worth another visit.

Cheers

Great thanks Ken, that's very interesting and indeed might be worth another visit. I was not aware SP soared outside of breeding season!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back