• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some facts about CF cards (1 Viewer)

hollis_f

There's a lot of guff talked about CF cards and speed. Here are some facts regarding CF cards and the Canon 7D. The same principles will apply to much of the rest of the EOS range, I've no idea about Nikon, perhaps somebody can do the same experiments as I've done.

First off - how does CF speed affect how your camera performs. If you're shooting video then all you need is a paltry 8 MB/s which almost all modern cards are easily capable of. If shooting stills then speed only really has noticeable effects if you shoot in rapid bursts, filling the buffer (the camera's inbuilt memory). With the 7D, shooting raw at 8 fps, the buffer can handle around 20 images. So, regardless of the speed of your card, you'll be able to rattle off 20 images at full speed. What happens next depends on the speed of your card.

Attached is a diagram showing how various cards respond to burst mode. (Note that the two Extreme IV cards were stopped at 11 and 12 seconds, respectively, and that the Extreme III is mislabelled as Extreme II). Larger image is here.

With the very slow Digitex card, after the initial burst, it fires two pairs of shots 0.5 s apart then there's a 6 second gap between subsequent pairs of shots. When the buffer is full, after 20 images, this card takes an incredible 166 seconds before the 'busy' light switches off.

With the Extreme IV (45 MB/s) cards they belt out pairs of shots at 0.5 second intervals after the initial 20. The buffer is cleared in around 11 seconds.

So the card speed only affects the rate at which the buffer empties (after 20 raw shots) and how fast you can shoot with a full buffer.

Now to CF speeds and uploading to your PC. Most people are probably using a USB interface with a bog-standard CF reader. That's going to limit transfer speeds to around 30 MB/s - no matter how fast your card is. Using a UDMA card with a UDMA-enabled reader will up that to around 40 MB/s. But to get faster than that you're going to need a Firewire 800, ExpressCard (using PCIe) or SATA card reader.

Here's my results, using a Sandisk UDMA 16 GB, 45 MB/s card writing to a SSD -
  • Standard USB reader - 26 MB/s
  • Lexar UDMA USB reader - 38 MB/s
  • Lexar ExpressCard reader - 46 MB/s
So, before you splash out on a 60 or 90 MB/s card ask yourself some questions -
  • How often do I fill my camera's buffer?
  • Do I ever fail to get a shot because I'm waiting for the 'Busy' light to go off?
  • Do I have a high-speed card reader?
If the answer to any of those questions is 'Yes' then a high-speed card may be for you. If the answers are all 'No' then you'd probably be wasting your money.

Attachments

• card%20speeds%20lablelled%20small.jpg
    card%20speeds%20lablelled%20small.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 141
Good stuff Frank - it looks as if a new Sandisk Ultra (30MB/s) is going to be all I need as I have never taken a burst of more than 20 shots and only have a standard Card Reader. Thanks for the info.

As an update, I have purchased a couple of the new Sandisk Ultra's (30Mb/s) 8 GB cards at around £20 a piece and they are fine when shooting the 7D at 8 fps (I rarely, if ever, fill the buffer so a faster card would be a waste for me). Performance on these new Ultra's are on par with the old Extreme III (also 30Mb/s) that I have.

As an update, I have purchased a couple of the new Sandisk Ultra's (30Mb/s) 8 GB cards at around £20 a piece and they are fine when shooting the 7D at 8 fps (I rarely, if ever, fill the buffer so a faster card would be a waste for me). Performance on these new Ultra's are on par with the old Extreme III (also 30Mb/s) that I have.

Hi Roy,
Where do you get your cards from?

Thanks, Marcus

PS great info Frank

Hi Roy,
Where do you get your cards from?

Thanks, Marcus

PS great info Frank
Hi Marcus, I got my cards from MyMemory. Make sure you get the Ultra 200x (30Mb/s) and not the Ultra II which is just 15Mb/s and almost the same price.
I got mine for £19 when they were doing a special on St Patrick's day but they are only £20.99 now so great value IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back