• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On The Hoof - Fieldwork From Orkney (1 Viewer)

SO good to have your new thread up and running, and like all here I feel so grateful to know of you and your work, which always inspires, informs and makes an experience of unmitigated pleasure.

Sure hope the book comes soon from Amazon...

and hope soon to get back into the birds, the landscape painting at last is starting to respond to all my efforts and work , and when I get it under control I have so much I want to paint with birds. The inspiration of your work is always a mainstay in my mind and heart.

Thank you all for welcoming the new thread so warmly.
The following are from the past few days whenever I've had the opportunity to sneak off, or indeed just peer through the scope from the house.

Attachments

• rk1.jpg
    rk1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 68
  • rk2.jpg
    rk2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 74
  • oik3.jpg
    oik3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 74
  • oik4.jpg
    oik4.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 78
  • comgul.jpg
    comgul.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
. . . and these are from today;

Attachments

• har1.jpg
    har1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 74
  • harcol1.jpg
    harcol1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 102
  • harcol2.jpg
    harcol2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 74
  • oik1.jpg
    oik1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 81
  • oik2.jpg
    oik2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 114
Wonderful as usual, Tim! The oystercatchers are a real favorite of mine - don't get to the coast as often as I would like to see them. However, is there not a law in Orkney forbidding sketches of anything of non-avian genes?

what a nice treat to have these drawings fluttering down

things seem more right in the world when you know that artists are still out there, sketching birds

what a nice treat to have these drawings fluttering down

things seem more right in the world when you know that artists are still out there, sketching birds

yes when it all gets too much there is always a sense of reality here...
feel like I'm in the field with you here Tim

Woo-hoo; onto my second page and over 900 views - that's what I call a thread!!! ;) B :)
ps - thanks folks - I'm still feeling my way in a tad at the moment, but I may have news of a rather exciting field-project coming up soon.

fanatstic fieldwork - some wonderful characters in the rooks and common gulls, and the hare studies are second to none - good to see that you're getting out, even if it seems to be in the rain.

Tim just got your book....OMG what a gift, the art, the writing, and the unconditional sharing of so much hard won knowlege...thank you thank you

So very beautiful, and it is such a treat to be able to see what you are seeing. I am having Orkney envy! The sketches are so immediate, and I feel like I am there.

Thanks.
I’m finding time for fieldwork extremely tight and most days I do get a spare moment I tend to be out in my little corner of the property planting my shelterbelt which will, in a few years’ time, become one of the migrant hotspots in the whole of the county – one dreams! We also dug a small pond in the wettest corner of the field.
The one bit of drawing I have done was of curlew courtship, which seems to entail the male pursuing the female incessantly, occasionally tapping her on the rump with his bill whilst she threatens brutal retaliation and makes herself as unpleasant as possible. The little male is relentless yet she appears to give him no encouragement at all. How curlews actually manage to procreate given these circumstances is beyond me. Having said that, we have two children yet I get a similar response to any amorous advances I may make . . . . :eek!:

Attachments

• williisle.jpg
    williisle.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 65
  • pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 63
  • curskt.jpg
    curskt.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 78
  • curlcol.jpg
    curlcol.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 89
Presumably it's the 'tapping on her rump with your bill' that Mrs. W objects to? ;)

Great observational drawing/painting as always.
You've picked a rough time of the year to be getting too involved in 'house stuff', even if it is with fabulous, long-term goals. I wish you the best of British with it, but we're missing your fieldwork around here!

Mike

You've got to stop digging that pond. No wonder you have no time for any art work.;) Boy, what a beautiful view you have though! I think half the time I was out I'd just be tempted to sit and enjoy it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back