• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID- Birds of Southern Africa (1 Viewer)

balbuzard26

Hello,

During a trip to South Africa in January, I took several pictures of birds, I have trouble identified. Could you help me please.
Thanking you in advance.

1 - Photographed in Graskop
?

2- Photographed in Kruger Park
Marico Flycatcher (juv)

3- Photographed in Kruger Park
?

4- Photographed in Kruger Park
?

5- Photographed in Kruger Park
?

6- Photographed in Kruger Park
?

7- Photographed in Kruger Park
Spotted Flycatcher

8- Photographed at Mbabane Swaziland
?

9- Photographed at Mbabane Swaziland
Red-eyed Dove

10- Photographed at Mbabane Swaziland
?

11- Photographed at Hluhluwe
?

12- Photographed at Hluhluwe
Wood Sandpiper

13- Photographed at Hluhluwe
?

14- Photographed at Cape of Good Hope
?

1 - Spotted Flycatcher?
2 - not sure
3 - Female Weaver, looks similar to this African Golden http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=278954
4 - Greater Honeyguide
5 - Cuckoo sp, maybe Red-chested, but hard to be sure
6 & 7 - Spotted Flycatcher
8 - Sunbird sp (like you didn't already know that), but beyond me in that plumage, and to be fair not a great shot.
9 - Always found these tricky, and can't really do this with confidence from just the one shot, but Red-eyed looks a fair shout.
10 - annoying. Looks distinctive enough but can't find a match.
11 - Tricky angle, but I'd go for Barn Swallow
12 - Yes, both Wood Sandpipers
13 - Possibly African Golden Weaver again
14 - Looks large & long billed, so probably female Malachite.

A tricky bunch of photos, which is most likely why they've been a little overlooked, and is definitely why I've hedged a bit on most of them. Hopefully this will at least bump the thread and get it noticed again, as there's a few guys out in Birdforumland that are pretty sharp on these.

Cheers

James

14 - Looks large & long billed, so probably female Malachite.

I'd say definitely :t:

I think 3 is Red-headed Weaver, 11 is Wire-tailed Swallow, I think the Weaver in 13 is probably what most SA field guides call Yellow Weaver (As opposed to what they call Golden Weaver). But these two both have confusingly different names elsewhere.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back