• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Window mounts (1 Viewer)

jimtfoto

I'm looking at purchasing a window mount to hold 20D and Bigma. Looking at both L.L. Rue's Groofwin and Kirk's Window Mount.
Anyone use either of these? Pros/cons for each?
The one consideration I have is that I'd like to be able to use it with my Wimberley head. Is that possible, or would ball head be the better option?
Input/recommendations appreciated.

cheers,
jim

I use for my window shooting a bag of beans. Simple, cheap and outputs very good results...Needs some bending though.

Jim

Have you thought of using an Ergorest,I have one & I think it will take practically any head & lenses up to the 600mm f4(Canon).It also doubles up as a chest support & macro stand.A really useful piece of kit in my opinion www.ergorest.fi I have tried a double beanbag & for smaller lenses i`ve found there ok but for larger stuff for me anyway it has to be the Ergorest.(I have no links with this company at all)

Cheers Steve.

stevo,
I actually do have the ergorest as well. I'm not happy with it, only because my windows slope radically down and it's hard to get a stable position to shoot from.

yossi,
I may end up giving the bean bag a try until I decide on which of the mounts to buy.

thanks to both for your input

cheers,
jim

I have a window mount that I had hoped to use for digiscoping but find that with my heavy scope, Leica Televid 77,and camera, Nikon Coolpix 4500, the window seems to flex and move in its track. Its fine for the scope alone. I know some one else who has encountered the same problem although with a different scope and camera.
If possible before buying see if you can try the product on your window.

Dan,
Unfortunately, both the items I'm interested in are mail order only. I've seen pix of them on the manufacturers' sites, but it's feedback from users that will help make my decision.
This seems to be something that Canadians run in to quite a bit with specialty photographic equipment. The demand doesn't appear to be as high here as in the U.S., so the gear just doesn't make it to our stores.

Thanks for your reply,
jim

I have never had much luck using window mounts. They are never the right height or fit on the window or are in an awkward location and severly restrict camera movement. The best solution I have found so far is to use a short piece of pipe insulation. It comes split down one side and you just place it over the window edge and support you lens on it. You have infinite directional mobility for you camera. As with all window mounts, you have to remember to turn the car engine off or the vibrations will get to your lens.

The best solution I have found so far is to use a short piece of pipe insulation. It comes split down one side and you just place it over the window edge and support you lens on it. You have infinite directional mobility for you camera. [/QUOTE]

My wife went through the trouble of sewing me a bean bag but this pipe insulation stuff is better.

I'm with Yossi - go for a bean bag.

Have tried Manfrotto, Opticron and Kirk window mounts without success - I am sure they are fine for small lenses, but I regularly shoot with 200 f2.8, 300 f2.8 or 4.00 f4 (plus convertors) and have never felt my kit was totally secure.

Warehouse Express stock the superb "Wildlife Watching Supplies" bean bag in a variety of sizes and I fill mine with polythene (NOT polystyrene) beads that are used in beanie toys - these are readily available in craft / sewing shops and are not affected by water, etc.

I have a Bushnell mount that slips down over the window edge. It has a low profile. I find it is satisfactory for most situations. I'm pretty sure a Wimberly would be too much for it though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back