• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Berlin-based birding summer 2017 (1 Viewer)

Pietrzak

I'm traveling to Berlin for a wedding in August 2017. I don't know exactly how much free time I will have while there, but I am planning at least a couple of days of bird outings for some target species. Couple of questions have come up already if anybody has input (or any other birding-related suggestions):

1. Great Bustards around Havelland look accessible via Deutsche Bahn. If I can borrow a bicycle or even just hoof it a few km, should this be pretty do-able?

2. Any chance at Capercaillie in any forests within one day's travel from Berlin?

3. Same question with Hazel Grouse.

Thanks for any advice or help as I am just starting out my planning!

I'm traveling to Berlin for a wedding in August 2017. I don't know exactly how much free time I will have while there, but I am planning at least a couple of days of bird outings for some target species. Couple of questions have come up already if anybody has input (or any other birding-related suggestions):

1. Great Bustards around Havelland look accessible via Deutsche Bahn. If I can borrow a bicycle or even just hoof it a few km, should this be pretty do-able?
Probably. The bicycle seems to be a good idea at least for some places, since walking distances in Northern Germany can be quite long.
According to this site, bustards are difficult to find in late summer, and it's best to get a local guide (addresses are in the "Information" segment). Hopefully they'll be able to speak English.

2. Any chance at Capercaillie in any forests within one day's travel from Berlin?
Depends on how you define that. I don't know how the situation is like in Poland, but I think the closest population is in the Harz range about 100km west of Berlin. According to Google Maps, it's at least 2 and a half hours drive from Berlin Central Station to the Harz National Park by car, and 3 hrs by train. I guess it's doable as a day trip but probably better to check in at a local hotel or B&B for a night and be able to go to the relevant spots in the early morning. No idea how difficult it is to find them, though.
Other spots are the Bavarian Forest and in the CR, the Bohemian Forest (Šumava). Those are quite far away, though.

3. Same question with Hazel Grouse.
Very difficult outside the Alps. I don't know if they even still exist in the Harz or in other ranges in central Germany. The closest population in Germany would probably be in the Bavarian Forest. Other than that, in the Tatras in Poland. Neither are exactly close to Berlin, not even by American standards.

Do you have any other target species in mind (e.g. Lesser Spotted Eagle, Barred Warbler, Hoopoe etc.)?

Last edited:
Catercaillie and Hazelgroose, no chance in Berlin area.
Maybe Harz which is about 150 miles away from Berlin.
August ist not really the best time, eventhough possible is the whole year.
Hazelgrouse is very shy and really hard to find.
Middle of April is possible to hear the whistle of the Hazelgroose in the Alps.

Around Berlin is very high chance for Great Bustard near Nennhausen.
In this area is also breeding place for Montagues Harrier, which is rare in Germany.
Middle of August starks main migration time.
Very good place is Havelland with lake of Guelper See.
Lake Guelper See is reliable place for White-tailed Eagle, Cranes and Barred Warbler. South of lake Guelper See is also an wetland, where breet Black Storck.

Here is a map with bird spots
http://www.birdinggermany.de/brandenburg.htm

2 and 4 are about 50 miles away from Berlin, 5 about 30 miles.

If You want to drive farer away like 150 - 160 km miles, than You can visit area of Greifswald or Wismar. There is possible to find rare waders like Broad billed Sandpiper.

Last edited:
Like others said, no forest grouse next to Berlin. Great Bustards are almost always visible from one or another of two watchtowers NE of Garlitz, village not far from Brandenburg, but getting there with public transport takes really long. The latter place has plenty of other birds, too (Cranes, raptors, meadow birds).

Like others said, no forest grouse next to Berlin. Great Bustards are almost always visible from one or another of two watchtowers NE of Garlitz, village not far from Brandenburg, but getting there with public transport takes really long. The latter place has plenty of other birds, too (Cranes, raptors, meadow birds).

It doesn't - 54 minutes from Berlin-Spandau:

Berlin Spandau: dep 11:11
Nennhausen: arr 1149 dep 1156
Garlitz arr 1205

That said, August isn't the best month to look for Great Bustards as the vegetation will be quite high. It may still be worth looking for them though. Note there are no shops in most of the smaller villages in that so take supplies with you. The tower hides also have quite a few pairs of (Barn) Swallows breeding in them which are always fun to watch close up and the area is excellent for birds of prey. Pallid Harriers have summered here in recent years for example.

A bit further away, the Mueritz National Park is well worth a visit for White-tailed Eagle, Osprey, Barred Warbler, Red-backed Shrike, etc. Take train to Waren (c2 hours) and you can walk/cycle various trails from there.

If you wanted to do something completely mad, you could just about do a day trip to the Alps to get Ptarmigan, Wallcreeper, Alpine Chough and other high alpine species at the Westliche Karwendelspitze near Mittenwald. Best time of year for Ptarmigan!

Berlin dep. 446
Mittenwald arr 1325
15 minute Cable car ride
1 hour on Summit
Mittenwald dep 1536
Berlin arr 0020

:-O

To Nennhausen I would recommend a bike.
The towers are not close together.
Mostly you will have success from first tower, but not always.

If you wanted to do something completely mad, you could just about do a day trip to the Alps to get Ptarmigan, Wallcreeper, Alpine Chough and other high alpine species at the Westliche Karwendelspitze near Mittenwald. Best time of year for Ptarmigan!

Berlin dep. 446
Mittenwald arr 1325
15 minute Cable car ride
1 hour on Summit
Mittenwald dep 1536
Berlin arr 0020

:-O

I think I'm going to go ahead and do this - sounds like a great plan. I just checked the fare and it's less than $100 roundtrip from Berlin! Maybe I could do an overnight to make it really worth it though...

Depends on your target birds, there are many protected areas around Berlin.
Even national parc Wartha river mouth in Poland is not far.
https://www.pnujsciewarty.gov.pl/133,birds.html

Normaly there are no checks at border, but I do not know if situation has changed since last year.

Travel to Alps will costs more than 100 US$ for both directions.

Last edited:
Travel to Alps will costs more than 100 US$ for both directions.
I agree; express trains in Germany are expensive. Unless either money isn't an issue, or you get a bargain price ticket in both directions (possible, but you'll have to look well in advance), it'd be a lot of expense for uncertain return. Particularly if you really only stay there for an hour.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back