• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths (2 Viewers)

Updated October list (last update post #65) -

1. Pale Mottled Willow
Common Marbled Carpet
Snout
Barred Sallow
Garden Carpet
Red-green Carpet
Brimstone
Lunar Underwing
Shuttle-shaped Dart
Green-brindled Crescent
11. Black Rustic
Setaceous Hebrew Character
Square Spot Rustic
Large Yellow Underwing
Mallow
Lesser Yellow Underwing
Autumnal Rustic
Feathered Ranunculus
Beaded Chestnut
Spruce Carpet
21. Dark Swordgrass (immigrant)
Chestnut
Gem (immigrant)
Merveille du Jour
Grey Shoulder-knot
Turnip Moth
Light Emerald
Hummingbird Hawk-moth (immigrant)
Rosy Rustic
Blair's Shoulder-knot
31. Deep-brown Dart
Willow Beauty
Juniper Carpet
November Moth agg
Figure of Eight
Yellow-line Quaker
Red-line Quaker
Brindled Green
Angle Shades
Pink-barred Sallow
+
41. Brown-spot Pinion
Silver Y (immigrant)
L-album Wainscot
Double-striped Pug
Satellite
Copper Underwing
Feathered Thorn
Large Wainscot
Frosted Orange
Delicate (immigrant)
Large Ranunculus
52. White-point
+
53. Sprawler
54. Brick
55. Herald
56. Scarce Bordered Straw (immigrant)
57. Pine Carpet
58. Flame Shoulder
59. Grey Pine Carpet
60. White-speck (immigrant)
61. November Moth (in addition to agg. previous)
62. Dark Chestnut

Hopefully correct!

Weather in Cornwall looks to remain mild, though a bit wet and quite windy at times (sometimes from the south), so should be more to come. Don't know about the rest of the country?

Last edited:
22/10. 16 moths of 14 species. Trapped till 23:30 when it started raining (again), disappointing total considering that it was still and warm at the start.
New for garden - Brick and Feathered Thorn.
The rest - Common Plume, Red-green Carpet, LBAM, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Diamond-back Moth, Double-striped Pug, 2 Merveille du Jour, Beaded Chestnut, 2 Chestnut, Setaceous Hebrew Character, Black Rustic, November Moth agg (I'll check it later).

A little rain here too last night. I got 32 of 12 species. Nothing new here.

Red-green Carpet 2
Merveille du Jour
November Moth agg 6
Black Rustic 5
Beaded Chestnut 5
Chestnut 2
Yellow-line Quaker 4
Green-brindled Crescent 3
Barred Sallow
Large Wainscot
Spruce Carpet
Red-line Quaker

Still some fairly common moths missing from my list this year. I will try again tonight as Saturday looks out of the question, both wet and windy.

Trapped twice more this week with only two moths on the morning of 22nd (Box Tree Moth and Grey Pine Carpet) while this morning there were three: two November Moth aggs - neither in the trap - and a Cypress Carpet.

John

22 of 11 macros here last night - last 2 nights min temp has been around 9C. Wetter last night though.

Black Rustic 4
Common Marbled Carpet 4
Beaded Chestnut 3
Feathered Ranunculus 2
Grey Pine Carpet 2
Setaceous Hebrew Character 1
Angle Shades 1
Dark Sword-grass 1
Lunar Underwing 1
Green-brindled Crescent 1
Chestnut 1 NFG
Dark Chestnut 1

Also

Light Brown Apple Moth 1
Diamondback Moth 1
Rusty Dot Pearl 1

Will try and put some pics up later, the DBM and RDP both eluded capture though.

Last edited:
Box Tree Moth, Blair's Shoulder-knot and Cypress Carpet are 3 species I've never seen ...

Three that are similarly absent from my garden list!

A real changing of the guard in this morning's with 38 of 13 species, with seven of those species being new for the year, including two new for the garden. Of the year ticks, November moth (agg.) was the commonest moth with 11 individuals present, followed by four Green-brindled Crescent and three Merveille du Jour. Singles of Feathered Thorn and Chestnut were also new for the year and the garden ticks were Grey-pine Carpet and Satellite. My second Scarce Bordered Straw of the week was also notable.

Three that are similarly absent from my garden list!

A real changing of the guard in this morning's with 38 of 13 species, with seven of those species being new for the year, including two new for the garden. Of the year ticks, November moth (agg.) was the commonest moth with 11 individuals present, followed by four Green-brindled Crescent and three Merveille du Jour. Singles of Feathered Thorn and Chestnut were also new for the year and the garden ticks were Grey-pine Carpet and Satellite. My second Scarce Bordered Straw of the week was also notable.

Looking just a couple of posts back, I still need Green-brindled Crescent, Beaded Chestnut, Dark Chestnut and Feathered Ranunculus - everyone's garden is different!

Trap out again tonight. I'll look at it a couple of times through the evening in between feeding the foxes out the front and trying to spend quality time with Maz - wildlife watching is harder work than working!

John

Trap out again tonight. I'll look at it a couple of times through the evening in between feeding the foxes out the front and trying to spend quality time with Maz - wildlife watching is harder work than working!

John

I remember over fifty years ago a retired guy talking to my father about their mutual interests and hobbies, he came out with the line "the problem is when your hobbies start to interfere with your hobbies". I think to those of us fascinated with natural history, science, the arts, music etc it inevitably happens.
So much stuff so little time.

I remember over fifty years ago a retired guy talking to my father about their mutual interests and hobbies, he came out with the line "the problem is when your hobbies start to interfere with your hobbies". I think to those of us fascinated with natural history, science, the arts, music etc it inevitably happens.
So much stuff so little time.

An increasing worry with age.....

One moth this morning (no outliers last night, disappointingly): Red-line Quaker.

John

Indeed - dire last night (23/10).
4 identifiable - LBAM, 2 Black Rustic and a Beaded Chestnut. Also, 2 Nov. Moth agg, which I let go.
My November Moth agg from the night before I gen deted and it was November Moth. I swopped the MV to actinic at 23:00 which I checked at 06:00 and it was empty.

7C min last night and fewer moths too, showery/windy. Overslept in the end, although did wake in the night and checked around 6am.

Red-line Quaker 1 during the night, not in the morning.
Dark Sword-grass 2
Pink-barred Sallow 1 (2nd Oct record)
Large Yellow Underwing 1
Black Rustic 1
Beaded Chestnut 3

At some point when it's not raining will go out and check the environs a bit.

An uninspiring yield up here too, two each of Red-green, Common Marbled & November agg, singles of Silver Y & Yellow-line Quaker. Only the Quaker was actually in the trap, and the Silver Y was noted on the wall last night and then gone by morning.

Sounds as if I was lucky last night. Temperature was below 6C last night but not until 4am. I got 34 moths of 12 species.
Black Rustic 6
Beaded Chestnut 5
Yellow-line Quaker 5
Green-brindled Crescent 4
November Moth agg 3
Feathered Thorn 3 NFY
Merveille du Jour 2 one in the trap for once.
Chestnut 2
Sallow
Barred Sallow
Large Yellow Underwing
and a late Pediasia contaminella

7C last night after a cold wet day.

Two moths during the night - both a bit nasty, a Spruce/Grey-Pine Carpet and something which I can only think was a Square-spot Rustic (probably put them into an id thread later). 5 of 5 total. Edit: the id thread - https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=395964

Am - in the trap only 2 moths -

Turnip Moth 1
Dark Chestnut 1

with

Feathered Ranunculus 1 outside

Last edited:
From the last few days -

Chestnut and Dark Chestnut comparison.
Dark Sword-grass
Green-brindled Crescent. Haven't managed to get the green iridescence as well as hoped.

Attachments

• image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image029.jpg
    image029.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • image023.jpg
    image023.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • image036.jpg
    image036.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • image034.jpg
    image034.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
And a few more -

Turnip Moth
Yellow-line Quakers (mirror image?!)
Dark Chestnut - different individual

Attachments

• image052.jpg
    image052.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image057.jpg
    image057.jpg
    920.7 KB · Views: 11
  • image071.jpg
    image071.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back