• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is Your favourite Species of Bird (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pursey said:
What is Your favorite Speices of Bird and can you explain why

Great Blue Heron - similar to your Grey Heron. They're big, regal, easy to watch for a long time, can move with lightning speed when hunting. Usually found in lovely places with water, usually alone, look good flying. There are a lot of them and they are all over. Barbara

We've been here before and I wasn't too sure last time. Can't really choose a favourite. I think I have three equal ones: the spring males of Blackburnian Warbler, Magnolia Warbler and Northern Oriole - it's the stunning colours.. But then again, show me a Northern Flicker, Red-headed Woodpecker, Evening Grosbeak... Just so many.

In the UK it's easy: Red Kite any time.

In Europe Roller, superb and I've been lucky enough to work on them for the past two summers in France.
In the world probably Black & Yellow Broadbill - is there any bird with more character?

I love birdwatching for almost my entire life and I have see quit a few species
in the Netherlands as well as abroad.

One of the most impressive birdwatching moments of my life was when I was following a perigrine falcon in flight with my binoculars in Öland Sweden, when it decided to perform it famous hunting move comming straight towards me with foulding it's wings and comming down from an enormous hight at full speed to catch a little birdprey just a few feet from me.
therefore the perigrine falcon is one of my all time favorites.

The last couple of years I've been meeting smaller and bigger groups of longtails tits, almost on a regular basis. Because of us 'meeting' so often I kinda learned a lot about their behavior and they became my favourite outdoor birdspecies.

Since I am interested in all kind of birds it is not easy to choose a favorite species, but I have to admit my real favourites are Psittacidae.
(Parrots and parakeets)
I prefer the Neotropical species Macaws, Amazona, Pionus, Forpus, Aratinga and Pyrrhura.
My absolute favourites are genus Pyrrhura and particular Pyrrhura picta picta (painted parakeet) for it's striking colorationpatterns and excellent and very interesting behavior.

Last edited:
Has to be Pitta's first - Why? Difficulty in seeing them, overall wierdness, incredible colors...

probably Broadbills or Spiderhunters second... - Broadbills are just awesome looking, and spiderhunters are up there with Pittas in terms of difficulty to see and overall coolness.

Favorite bird that i've seen before - Probably a couple rank up there including Ocellated Tapaculo, Collared Crescent-Chest and White-faced Nunbird are up there....Other favorites less difficult to see just due to sheer beauty would be Resplendant Quetzal, Green-and-black Fruiteater, Toucan Barbet...

Last edited:
Well, I have to confess I love Lapwings - the colours, the calls and to watch a group in flight - magical. But for drama I think the moment that stands out for me was watching a group of about 30 Gannets diving just off South Stack - wow !

Hawfinch

Watched a male trying too woo a female last winter at Lynford.
Loved every second of the funny waddling on a branch display.
This bird was always on my 'most wanted' list, ever since I got
that old Readers Digest Book of Birds for a birthday prezzie
many, many years ago....superb portrait in there.
It took me 30 years to get to see some...and I go back each
winter to see them again..love 'em.

Dave.

An age-old problem...

I too love Long-tailed Tits. Why? Well I like the way they are constantly moving and in family groups.They are always 'moving through'. I like House Sparrows too, another social bird, I guess.

I also like to see flocks of wild geese, like Pink Feet. They bring a sense of excitement on a drab winter day.

However, I also lean towards the exotic. I like Pittas, Toucans and Hornbills but best of all it is the Barbets for me. I saw Great Barbet in NE India earlier this year and was well happy! Why, well they're big bright and colourful and you don't see them in the UK.

Dave

Hmmmm....
I don't think I can choose between the gray jays or grosbeaks (any kind).
You can see why I love the jays by looking at my avatar. These birds are just loaded with personality!
As for grosbeaks? Evenings: color and chatter............ Pines: color and song and sweet disposition......... Rose Breasted......... color and shyness.

Don't think I could ever pick just one out of this group.

Bank Swallow - They fly fast, their sounds are cool, and they nest in holes in sand banks. I also like them because one very cute juvie allowed me to photograph it from ~3 in.

Seeing great and bizzare birds on vacation is overwhelming. I agree with the Pittas, Spiderhunters, etc.......... But, for pure personality, behavior, color, and other intangibles it has to be the Western Scrubjays in my yard here in California. They occupy Wilderness and City. Intense in both. Both avian and reptillian in everything they do. Under-appreciated.

Been lucky enough to see many of the choices above, including the stunning broadbills (amazing such striking colours can exist on a single bird) and the quetzal (tail and a half), but still a firm favorite has to be Swift - screaming packs of hooligans hurtling round the roof tops at lunatic speeds, true symbols of a mastery and freedom of the air ...if I were a bird, I'd be one of them thanks very much. And, they have the sense to be a proper sun lover - last in, first out, no wasting life in cold climes!

I suppose the birds I like best either sound great - Nightingale, drumming Common Snipe - or seem somehow symbolic of a particular time or place - Dippers in Dartmoor rivers, Marsh Harriers on hot summer afternoons in the East Anglian waterlands.

Hard to pick just one...Nightingale and Snipe score extra points for subtly beautiful plumage, Snipe for eccentrically long bill and Dipper for eccentricity of lifestyle. Nightingale comes with all the literary associations, while Marsh Harrier is just majestic in flight.

James

Little Grebe..... How cute are they??? I think they are responsible for me getting into "proper" birding. We saw a couple on a river in Derbyshire and just had to find out what they were, and one thing led to another!

Now if I can only get one to sit still long enough to get a decent photo!

Chris

Like so many others, it's hard to choose. I get a thrill out of watching almost any bird of prey, but the bird I feel I know the best is the Downy Woodpecker. We have 7 of them who visit our feeders regularly (suet and peanuts in their shells). It's easy to observe them after they leave the feeders so I've gotten to learn a lot about their behavior. They're like an old friend.

James Blake said:
I suppose the birds I like best either sound great - Nightingale, drumming Common Snipe - or seem somehow symbolic of a particular time or place - Dippers in Dartmoor rivers, Marsh Harriers on hot summer afternoons in the East Anglian waterlands.

Hard to pick just one...Nightingale and Snipe score extra points for subtly beautiful plumage, Snipe for eccentrically long bill and Dipper for eccentricity of lifestyle. Nightingale comes with all the literary associations, while Marsh Harrier is just majestic in flight.

James

I'd agree with you James, I tend to have favourite individual sightings, rather than a favourite bird. Watching a Peregrine sat on a fence post for half an hour can be pretty dull, whereas one spotted stooping through a flock of swirling waders usually looks rather spectacular. Likewise, a singing Robin in a silent wood can be incredibly beautiful, whereas the same bird hopping about on one's lawn in the middle of the day would hardly be noticed. All birds are beautiful, a lot depends, IMO, on the situation and surroundings one sees them in as to whether one will remember the encounter or not.

saluki

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back