• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NRW Birdwatching (2 Viewers)

lark o'dell

today the local patch tommrow the world
Hi All,

Recently just moved to Köln and looking at getting back into Birding, Anyone know of any good areas around the NRW preferably nearer to Köln than anywhere else as transport is limited for the time being.

Let me know.

First, sign into ornitho.de to make the most of local observations! You can search the database better after you've made a certain number of entries, so start reporting those pigeons and parakeets...
If you're not a member, you cannot see exact locations. Still, if you set it to English and go to "Summary of today" and then click NW (in red, for the state) followed by BM or K (in grey, for the district), you can check sightings per day. It will soon become clear what the better areas are.

I do not live near Cologne, but I've looked into some sites around the city to help out visitors before.
A good area near Cologne is the Wahner Heide (surrounding the airport) with e.g. Woodlark, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, later in the year Red-backed Shrike and Melodious Warbler.
The vineyards of Bad Honnef just south of Bonn are a good spot to search for Rock Bunting (northernmost spot in Europe). Some years ago, Cirl Bunting also bred there.
Southwest of Immendorf there are some gravel pits which hold a few birds, but I don't know how easily they can be viewed.
Probably the best spot in the area are the former sewage ponds just southeast of Bedburg in Kreis Bergheim. Should be easy to reach by train. They are visited by quite a few birders (nothing compared to the UK or the Netherlands) and turn up rarities with some regularity.
Hope this helps!

First, sign into ornitho.de to make the most of local observations! You can search the database better after you've made a certain number of entries, so start reporting those pigeons and parakeets...
If you're not a member, you cannot see exact locations. Still, if you set it to English and go to "Summary of today" and then click NW (in red, for the state) followed by BM or K (in grey, for the district), you can check sightings per day. It will soon become clear what the better areas are.

I do not live near Cologne, but I've looked into some sites around the city to help out visitors before.
A good area near Cologne is the Wahner Heide (surrounding the airport) with e.g. Woodlark, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, later in the year Red-backed Shrike and Melodious Warbler.
The vineyards of Bad Honnef just south of Bonn are a good spot to search for Rock Bunting (northernmost spot in Europe). Some years ago, Cirl Bunting also bred there.
Southwest of Immendorf there are some gravel pits which hold a few birds, but I don't know how easily they can be viewed.
Probably the best spot in the area are the former sewage ponds just southeast of Bedburg in Kreis Bergheim. Should be easy to reach by train. They are visited by quite a few birders (nothing compared to the UK or the Netherlands) and turn up rarities with some regularity.
Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for this information, It's great to know there is a similar site to the rare bird report here in the uk but for Germany :) I will be sure to take a look at the sewage ponds they sounds like a decent gamble.

Thanks again!

There must be good chance for Little Owl ( Steinkauz ). the federal coutry has 70 % of Little Owl population of Germany.

Look for Steinkauz in ornitho.de
Choice "NW" for federal coutry Nordrhein Westfalen
Choice "K" for Koeln
Choice "Letzten 7 Tage" means last 7 days

There must be good chance for Little Owl ( Steinkauz ). the federal coutry has 70 % of Little Owl population of Germany.

Look for Steinkauz in ornitho.de
Choice "NW" for federal coutry Nordrhein Westfalen
Choice "K" for Koeln
Choice "Letzten 7 Tage" means last 7 days

Thanks albatross, I already signed up for the ornitho.de website.

Will keep my eyes posted for any regular sightings of anything I really want to see :)

such a change to living in London where all I saw was ring-necked Parakeets.. finally a garden with actual bird life! haha regular, Nutthatch, Tree-creepers, various tits etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back