• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa Jan 2020 2nd group (1 Viewer)

frogstar

Another 5 that I'm having problems with.
1. ? - Ramsgate beach
2. White-throated Swallow? - Lake Eland Game Reserve, Oribi Gorge
3. ? - Lake Eland Game Reserve, Oribi Gorge
4. ? - Lake Eland Game Reserve, Oribi Gorge
5. ? - Lake Eland Game Reserve, Oribi Gorge

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 7D2_7248_temp.jpg
    7D2_7248_temp.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 7D2_7535_temp.jpg
    7D2_7535_temp.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 7D2_7698_temp.jpg
    7D2_7698_temp.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 7D2_7867_temp.jpg
    7D2_7867_temp.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 7D2_7936_temp.jpg
    7D2_7936_temp.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
1- Prinia i think, Tawny-flanked
2- White-throated Swallow imm. ?
3- Grey-backed Cisticola i think
4- Zitting Cisticola i think
5- Rufous-naped Lark
Jean

Last edited:
4- I think Kamba is right for a Wing Snapping. The tail is not suitable for a Zitting.
I'm thinking about the 3.
Jean

Not sure it's safe to ID this, is it a juvenile, no white tail tips as there would be in both adult Zitting and W-s? Relative to W-s 'Chamberlain's LBJ's' states 'secretive, seldom perches openly' although the apprently black tail, is a feature in support but that could be deceptive as the bird looks damp?

Last edited:
Not sure it's safe to ID this, is it a juvenile, no white tail tips as there would be in both adult Zitting and W-s? Relative to W-s 'Chamberlain's LBJ's' states 'secretive, seldom perches openly'.

Andy, please read the previous post. Abraded tail tips mean this is an adult (a juv would be fully fresh), and starting tail moult (the new growing feather has the typical pattern).

Note the tips are heavily abraded (basically obliterated) and a new growing outer tail feather is just showing up on the right side.
Indeed !
Do you conclude, as I initially thought, that this is a Zitting ?
For the other (3) i think, from the tail, that it could be a Zitting.
Jean

Indeed !
Do you conclude, as I initially thought, that this is a Zitting ?
For the other (3) i think, from the tail, that it could be a Zitting.
Jean
Zitting for me. The dark subterminal tail band is there (only the pale tips are gone) and I really can't see any clear difference from the ones I see around here in the "garden" :)
Other confusion species in SA differ in habitat, facial and tail patterns, tail length, etc...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back