• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird hides (1 Viewer)

malc1

I find in the majority of bird reserve hides that the opening dimensions mean that using an angled scope while seated means the object lens of the scope is lower than the bottom of the opening. Standing and keeping the object lens lower than the top of the opening means an uncomfortable stoop, not easy for those of us of advanced years. There are two solutions, deeper openings that compromise hiding from the birds or adjustable height individual seats or seats that are designed to suit the openings. Adjustable seats seem to fail quite soon after being supplied. I’ve been pondering carrying a block of some type to carry about with me but designing one that is of sufficent light weight and robustness has defeated me thus far. I’ve spoken to one or two wardens of hide design and apparently the RSPB have debated it. Has anyone any views on this matter or am I making too much of it. I’ve found that all hides are binocular friendly.

There are two solutions, ....
There is a third solution :king: . . . use a straight-through scope instead of an angled one :t:

Also, some angled scopes (not all though) you can rotate the angled part so you're looking in level from one side rather than down from above. Or alternatively, some tripods you can rotate the head from flat to vertical for the same effect (though this does make panning left-right very awkward!).

Last edited:
For perfection in big opening windows, visit the lower level of the new Estuary Tower hide at Slimbridge WWT. :king:
For even better views, go up to the open-topped roof level!

There is a third solution :king: . . . use a straight-through scope instead of an angled one :t:

Also, some angled scopes (not all though) you can rotate the angled part so you're looking in level from one side rather than down from above. Or alternatively, some tripods you can rotate the head from flat to vertical for the same effect (though this does make panning left-right very awkward!).

Not the solution though - the majority of scopes (75 -90% (?)) sold/in use are angled because they are better for situations outside of hides.

I guess if all your birding is done in hides (unlikely) it could be the solution.

Last edited:
Double openings could be one solution (ie a top flap that folds up, and a bottom flap that folds down) to accomodate either.

Hides that have movable benches - some lower to allow for those views. But still not a solution as dragging benches around not ideal.

Only hides im not keen on are the ones at Musselburgh Lagoons. yes you do get fantastic views but the benches are cemented to the ground which makes it tricky to move.

Don't think I've been in the perfect hide yet. My main beef is with the fools at Blashford Lakes who are progressively making theirs worse and worse by introducing more and more non-opening glass windows with stupidly dark one-way film on - though I'm also not a big fan of RSPB hides with huge glass windows you have to wind forever to open (assuming the feeble mechanism hasn't already broken).

Wooden shutters that open upwards with secure latches, creating windows big enough for bins, scopes and big lenses, with the bottom side high enough to rest any of the devices on comfortably; with shelves at elbow-resting height and continuous to the front wall so your pencil/notebook/short lens/garlic sausage sandwich doesn't fall off the back of them, and eaves long enough to keep most of the rain out unless a hurricane is blowing - good enough for any birder.

If someone could invent a door that nobody can bang, that would be nice....

John

I've always had problems with scopes in hides and I've usually got round it by giving myself a bad back, or if the bench is moveable, by pushing the bench back far enough to squeeze my tripod between it and the hatch.

Back in 2009 they built some screens at the Guadalhorce reserve at Malaga and I was delighted to see their beautifully simple solution to the problem. They simply cut out a series of semi-circles out of the shelf, allowing a tripod and scope to be set up (or not if you didn't want to and just wanted somewhere to rest your elbows and bocadillos de jamon).

I posted this photo on Birdforum on a similar thread to this after I got back in the hope that somebody would take up the idea over here, but UK reserves have an allergy to anything 'not invented here' and I've never seen them anywhere else.

Attachments

• 003 Shelf Detail, Guadalhorce Hide copy.jpg
    003 Shelf Detail, Guadalhorce Hide copy.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 50
Well we may as well go the whole hog and have heating, tea making facilities and reclining chairs....
.... Or is that going too far !
Ian

There have been some interesting reports produced in to hide best practice.

A GUIDE TO WILDLIFE VIEWING AND PHOTOGRAPHY BLINDS Creating Facilities To Connect People With Nature (by VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF GAME AND INLAND FISHERIES & COLORADO DIVISION OF WILDLIFE).

Wildlife watching hides A practical guide 2.1 by Rewilding Europe.

It doesn't matter what the subject is, the challenge is always getting knowledge passed on so people/groups learn from previous experience and not just reinventing the wheel or just doing stuff the same way because it's always the way it's been done...

I like the Avalon Hide at Ham Walls. Great views and moveable chairs :)

Where are we all on eating in hides?

I just know that in some places rats are a problem, so eating is discouraged?

So glad the Glaucous is still there :)

Going back to your original post malc1 - would the sort of collapsible, plastic boxes/bowls used for camping be any use. They are lightweight and pack small?

Last edited:
Maybe Julie, I don’t know exactly what you mean, I think Probably a 2inch lift, would be ample. Unfortunately I’m not lightweight. In some of the hides at Cley I recall there are blocks of wood, maybe they are for height adjusting purposes.

I actually think that the fact that we have any hides at all is a real bonus for birders. Being able to carry out our beloved hobby in dry seated comfort is a real plus and I am truly grateful for the facilities at my local reserve Upton Warren, where we have 7 hides. To be honest , overcoming the 'few' discomforts that we may have to endure is nothing to what has been well thought out and supplied, virtually free of charge, for our convenience.
I use straight and angled scopes....and just getting a chance to use either under cover and out of the rain is brilliant.
So well done to the RSPB and local trusts for all of their hard work and dedication.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back