• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit Udewalawe National Park in Sri Lanka November 2019 (1 Viewer)

robinchittenden

Award winning wildlife photographer, writer, tour
Anyone want to have a go at identifying this Pipit taken in Udewalawe National Park in Sri Lanka in November 2019? Presumably either Paddyfield or Blyth's.

And if you could indicate the plumage details that pointed to the ID that would be great.

Thanks

Robin

Attachments

• AU7T1840 ccp2 cr 130dpi.jpg
    AU7T1840 ccp2 cr 130dpi.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 102
Anyone want to have a go at identifying this Pipit taken in Udewalawe National Park in Sri Lanka in November 2019? Presumably either Paddyfield or Blyth's.

And if you could indicate the plumage details that pointed to the ID that would be great.

Thanks

Robin

First of all, what is the difference between the Paddyfield and Blyth's Pipit? I can't tell the differnece.

Blyth's Pipit for me.
Jean

Ummm been down this track before. Any chance of updating the Opus entries [I did for paddyfield]?

...Esp. in the light of the recent neotropical birds announcement. How long will ebird remain free?

[Blyth's was my impression too based on previous conversation + experience of the other species]

Ummm been down this track before. Any chance of updating the Opus entries [I did for paddyfield]?

...Esp. in the light of the recent neotropical birds announcement. How long will ebird remain free?

[Blyth's was my impression too based on previous conversation + experience of the other species]

I highly doubt eBird will ever not be free... Why do you think it won't?

I highly doubt eBird will ever not be free... Why do you think it won't?

Depends a bit which aspect of it. There's nothing which says that they need to provide a unified page for each species with photos, description, link to Macauley, ebird map etc.

>>Why do you think it won't?
Because of what's happening to the Neotropical birds site.

Thanks

Robin

I'd say that the hind claw isn't long enough for Paddyfield for starters.

Supercilium in Paddyfield is said to 'taper' at the rear which this doesn't seem to to me.

Decent article here

https://digdeep1962.wordpress.com/2...field-richards-and-blyths-pipits-in-malaysia/

Last edited:

Thanks

Robin

I can't see anything that discounts the most likely species, Paddyfield Pipit. I'd want a feature that conclusively discounts that before thinking of the other possibilities. (Blyth's for example always appear to have a broad-based bill), and I can't see any pro-Richard's, non-Paddyfield feature.

James

I agree. I can't see anything other than Paddyfield here, especially as this species is dirt common at this location, whereas Blyth's is a scarce migrant in Sri Lanka. I certainly wouldn't call Blyth's with that bill shape, a loral stripe (albeit thin) and a weak cheek stripe, not to mention no view of the breast streaking or median covert centres. The streaky/scaly appearance indicates an immature bird, the juvenile plumage of PP being unique among the large Anthus Pipits - they can be darker and more heavily-marked than this.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back