• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of frog is this? (1 Viewer)

jeffs55

jeffs55
Found in middle Georgia on my front porch 9-21-09. It has great leaping ability and is very active.

Attachments

• frog ab.jpg
    frog ab.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 68
Looks like a Southern Leopard Frog. The light spot in the center of the tympanum (the rounded organ behind the eye -- it's their ear) is typical of this species. Some individuals show no spotting on the back at all, as in this one. The light lip and dorsal lines are also typical.

Leopard Frogs often wander far from actual watery sites. I have one that's lived most of the summer in a big pot of caladiums on my front porch, a hundred yards from a pond.

One of my favorite frogs - such a handsome guy! You got a nice shot of such an active critter.

Parula, I didn't know you could have one living happily a ways from water - quite interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back