• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hornbill - Botswana and Zimbabwe, July 2019 (1 Viewer)

marcperxas

Hello!

Picture 1 - Elephant Sands (Botswana), July 2019
Picture 2 - Nyamandhlovu Dam (Zimbabwe), July 2019
Picture 3 - Mwandi View Campsite (Botswana), July 2019

Can anyone confirm if all of them are Bradfield's Hornbill?

Marc

Attachments

• Hornbill - Elephant Sands (Botswana), July 2019.jpg
    Hornbill - Elephant Sands (Botswana), July 2019.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Hornbill - Mwandi View Campsite (Botswana), July 2019.jpg
    Hornbill - Mwandi View Campsite (Botswana), July 2019.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Hornbill - Nyamandhlovu Dam, Main Camp (Zimbabwe), July 2019.jpg
    Hornbill - Nyamandhlovu Dam, Main Camp (Zimbabwe), July 2019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
All Bradfield's

Hi Andy.

As we can see, all these birds, which can only be Bradfield's, show a yellow eye. And my (few) personal photos of Bradfield's show a yellow eye. And the HBW illustration seems to show a yellow eye, though eye colour isn't mentioned in the description.

But my Sasol guide, third edition, has an arrow specifically marked 'red eye' for Bradfield's.

Can I / we assume that the Sasol is simply wrong - though it seems a big thing for a guide to have got wrong for such a large bird - and maybe this is why the OP wasn't confident of his ID?

Hi Mac,
seems like an obvious error to me having looked at Google images. There are a few examples where birds have what could be generously described as having slightly bloodshot eyes but none are red.

Edit: Eyes are yellow in Birds of Africa.

Just sent an e-mail to Warwick Tarboton, co author of SASOL to see if anyone has pointed this out to them, just in case they a have any plans for another edition.

WT has already replied and there is a revision in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Hi Andy.

As we can see, all these birds, which can only be Bradfield's, show a yellow eye. And my (few) personal photos of Bradfield's show a yellow eye. And the HBW illustration seems to show a yellow eye, though eye colour isn't mentioned in the description.

But my Sasol guide, third edition, has an arrow specifically marked 'red eye' for Bradfield's.

Can I / we assume that the Sasol is simply wrong - though it seems a big thing for a guide to have got wrong for such a large bird - and maybe this is why the OP wasn't confident of his ID?

Hi Mac,
seems like an obvious error to me having looked at Google images. There are a few examples where birds have what could be generously described as having slightly bloodshot eyes but none are red.

Edit: Eyes are yellow in Birds of Africa.

Just sent an e-mail to Warwick Tarboton, co author of SASOL to see if anyone has pointed this out to them, just in case they a have any plans for another edition.

WT has already replied and there is a revision in the pipeline.

Good to know Macnara and Andy. The 4th Edition SASOL specifically states "has red (not pale yellow) eyes."

I find it quite a good guide, despite the areas where it could be better. I think a lot of the newer guides include colour photos, but I'm not sure if all plumages are covered. Can you imagine the size of "Birds of Africa south of the Sahara" with full colour photographs in all ages and plumages? It would probably need to split into zones or families.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back