• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

timmyjones

Thought that Worcestershire needed its own thread for people to share where they've been birding so thought I'd start one off.

After news of the first record of Glossy Ibis for Worcester was re-found yesterday somewhere down river of Grimley thought I'd go and try finding it again.

Went to Grimley to see if it was there and there was no sign, 5-6 Little Grebe 10 or so Shoveler and 3 Cormorant were the only birds of note.
We then decided to drive to Harrow which is where it was reported near by, walked through Harrow Wood which lead down to the river but it was all flooded near the bottom and so couldn't really get a good view out over the other side or anywhere. Lots of Pigeons roosting up in the trees and a flock of LTT where around, looked like a really good place for woodcock might have to go back earlier in the morning and try again.

Lickey Hills

All these recent mentions of Crossbills had been getting to me lately. Lickey Hills really are on my doorstep, but I hate the place due to all the ill-behaved dog walkers and general drop-outs that frequent the place.
But, this was my last day off work having had the flu of late so I thought a brisk walk (and boy was it brisk!) would stand me in good stead for tomorrow's return to the office.
It was a squally day with a strong cold northerly wind, but when the clouds passed the sun was bright and, if you could get it behind you, useful.
Remembering that I've only restarted birding this year, after a 30+ year lay off, these little beauties are lifers for me. Hand-held and very windy, these were the best I could manage.

Attachments

• Crossbill 1_resize.jpg
    Crossbill 1_resize.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Crossbill 6_resize.jpg
    Crossbill 6_resize.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Crossbill 7_resize.jpg
    Crossbill 7_resize.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 396
  • Crossbill 8_resize.jpg
    Crossbill 8_resize.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 336
All these recent mentions of Crossbills had been getting to me lately. Lickey Hills really are on my doorstep, but I hate the place due to all the ill-behaved dog walkers and general drop-outs that frequent the place.

Hi Sy what you doing there then - are you trying to avoid me ( wolves 0 Blues 1)
I haven't seen crossbills this century - nice pics
cheers John

Last edited:
Amazing photos simon, dads had these crossbills I should really try harder to go get them, there only just down the road!

GLOSSY IBIS!!! Today at Holt Fleet on floodwater no further details! Its still hanging around then!

Amazing photos simon, dads had these crossbills I should really try harder to go get them, there only just down the road!

GLOSSY IBIS!!! Today at Holt Fleet on floodwater no further details! Its still hanging around then!

upton this weekend would be nice Tim

Congrats John will hopefully be up there first thing tomorrow to see if I can connect with it, hope it sticks around!

Gutted that I haven't been able to get to the glossy ibis so far hopefully it will stick around a little while longer.

Went to Lickey today quickly managed to hear the Firecrest near the Obelisk but could only just see the tops of the trees with the fog so will have to go back and try again another day.

Gutted that I haven't been able to get to the glossy ibis so far hopefully it will stick around a little while longer.

Went to Lickey today quickly managed to hear the Firecrest near the Obelisk but could only just see the tops of the trees with the fog so will have to go back and try again another day.

so your hopeing the IBIS will stay and im hopeing the firecrest will stay LOL:-O
one of my favorite species firecrests are:t: below waxwings though8-P
MB

Im hoping both will stay, I've tried twice for the Firecrest so far and heard it today but couldn't get onto it due to being high up and foggy!

Birding at lower park farm north Redditch today.
On the approach road a large flock of Golden Plover numbered 403 with c200 Lapwing also a small flock of 6 Common Snipe were flushed by the farmers dog.
Around the fishing pools were 17 Wigeon and 10 Tufted and good numbers (c100) fieldfare feeding on the grassy banks. A lone Raven flew over.

Please note the fishing pools are private but the fields are viewable from the the fishery approach road.

cheers John

a record shot of some of the Goldies

Attachments

• A DSCF0019.jpg
    A DSCF0019.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 318
Perhaps not for this site (maybe Garden site, but I thought I would mention it as it is an unusual occurrence.
I had 27 Blackbirds in my garden today not rare but amazing to see them fighting for their bit of territory. My garden is only 66 foot x 36 feet. I feed the birds throughout the year and at this time I put out the normal seeds but plenty of cheap sultanas, raisins and apples thrushes love them
Over the last few days there as also been 5 Redwing , a Song Thrush, Bullfinch, Blackcap, 5 Goldfinch, Coal tit, 60 House Sparrows, 9 Jackdaws plus the commoner species.

cheers John

not loads to talk about nut a few birds seen on my local patch. the lickhill area of stourport. on 19/12 had a site first when 4 teal flew upriver a flock of lapwing passed distantly and an imense flock of 80c cormorant passed over in one flock at 8:19 am

20/12 a jack snipe was flushed from a masrhy field with 2 common snipe, a golden plover was with a flock of 134 lapwing on the riverside fields also 2 meadow pipit in the grass here and a raven flew over, also had the 1st siskin on our feeders this winter

and today only 7 lapwing were in the fields a marsh tit put in a reappearence and shown well(if in a bush) and 2 raven flew over
MB

Went to Lower Park Farm earlier only briefly as it was on the way back from getting a new pair of Bins for my birthday and mom was in the car! Saw about 10 in the field to the right of the entrance looking at it but there could easily have been more.

Anyone been to look for the possible Nutcracker reported in Hadley? Or anyone know any more details on it?

Also I've decided to do a Worcs year list and an Upton Year list for the first time this year seen as Brian's made a section for it on his website be interesting to see what I can get. Anyone know of anywhere I can view a map that shows the Worcestershire county boundary? And are there many sites out there that are spilt by the boundary to another county that anyone knows of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back