• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Two Birds, Colombia (1 Viewer)

Pitter

Photographed in Valle De Cauca in the Western Cordilla at around 2000 meters.

Attachments

• IMG_8758 s.jpg
    IMG_8758 s.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8837.JPG
    IMG_8837.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 122
The second bird looks like it's some sort of Tody Flycatcher... but that's about where my knoweldge of Columbian birds ends. Sorry!

With the caveat that I have no Colombian guide to confirm or do better than this, I'd say the first looks like a Greenlet, perhaps Tawny-crowned, and the second like a pygmy tyrant or tody-flycatcher type.

I think the first one is a female Plain Antvireo.

Not sure about that second one...it's also got that kind of antvireo / antwren feel to me...hopefully Diego will have an idea.

Last edited:
Thank you yes good ID, the first is a female Plain Antvireo. I've seen them in the area brfore and forgot to check it in thr guide.

I am struggling on the second one...were the underparts really yellowish or is that just reflected light from the leaves?

Edit:
I am leaning towards them both being the same species. There seems to be some rufous evident on the crown, the build and bill is similar in both photos. The difference in colouration I am going to put down to lighting and angle. The first photo seems to show no pale orbital ring at all but this photo taken in Panama http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebriccetti/3350543642/ shows an obvious one for this species.

I can't imagine anything else it can be at that altitude and location...?

Last edited:
A pair of Plain Antvireo

Photographed in Valle De Cauca in the Western Cordilla at around 2000 meters.

I'm no expert, but I looked up in my Proaves Field Guide to the Birds of Colombia and it is clear the photos are of a pair of Plain Antvireo. The first being a female and the second a male. Also they are in distribution and altitude range. I also note the Proaves Checklist of the Birds of Colombia lists four subspecies - this one being "extremus" from Central and Western Colombia. Nice photos.

Glad someone agrees with me Eric, but interesting you think the second one is a male. I will have to have a look at the extremus race in Restall.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back