• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (5 Viewers)

A Whinchat and a Stonechat on fenceline just above Tapenhall farm, near Porter's Mill.

A Whinchat briefly at Copcut Rise first thing.

A few pics from today:

1. Stonechat
2. Stonechat
3. Whinchat
4. Stonechat and Whinchat together
5. Meadow Pipit, Stonechat and Whinchat (honest ;) - pesky grass!!)

Attachments

• Stonechat Tapenhall.jpg
    Stonechat Tapenhall.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Stonechat Tapenhall 2.jpg
    Stonechat Tapenhall 2.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Whinchat Tapenhall.jpg
    Whinchat Tapenhall.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Stonechat and Whinchat.jpg
    Stonechat and Whinchat.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Meadow Pipit Stonechat + Whinchat.jpg
    Meadow Pipit Stonechat + Whinchat.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 70
Cheers both....

Couldn't manage a RB Fly but I did get a Spotted Flycatcher working its way along one of the hedges at Copcut Rise this evening.

Vis mig today included large flocks of Meadow Pipits moving through and 4+ Skylarks overhead plus a few Grey Wags flying high over in some less usual areas.

Other species seen included 3 Cormorants, 2+ Grey Herons, 7 Canada Geese, 1 Reed Warbler, Sparrowhawks, Jays, lots of Blackcaps, Chiffs, Swallows, House Martins and a few Mistle Thrushes.

Lots of Red Admirals around at the moment plus Commas and Speckled Woods.

Two Stonechats at Copcut Rise this evening - a male and a female together in the top of a large bramble bush. My first multiple record for the patch.

Newts on the move in Salwarpe

;)The mild evenings and damp conditions are bringing the newts out. I saw this large female last night (about 15cm long) by my front door in the village and in the garden yesterday was one of this years juveniles, I call him 'Tiny' because he is 'my newt'.

Best time to spot newts in the village is late winter when we have the first mild (around 8-10 celcius) wet spell (January this year, February last year) where you will find quite a few crossing the road at night in the village close to the Salwarpe Court pond, there are often numerous road casualties too. They were in the ponds egg laying in January this year and regularly breed in February regardless of what the publications say.

Enjoy the snaps

Triturus

Attachments

• 20140923_211900.jpg
    20140923_211900.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140923_152432_resized.jpg
    20140923_152432_resized.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 63
A Cetti's Warbler at Porter's Mill this morning - along a ditch between the mill and Tapenhall - called twice and showed reasonably well although I didn't get a clear look at its legs so couldn't tell if it was ringed or not. This is the first record for this part of the patch.

Lots of Skylarks (36+) and Meadow Pipits over this morning plus 4+ Yellowhammers. Much fewer summer migrants though - just 5 Swallows (3 juvs), a few Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps.

Other species seen included Coal Tit, 10 Mistle Thrushes, lots of Song Thrushes and Blackbirds, Reed Buntings, Goldcrests, 4 Cormorants, Grey and Pied Wagtails, Grey Heron, Kestrel and Buzzards.

The reedbed roost this evening included ten Swallows and 20 or so Pied Wagtails.

Two Kingfishers seen today - one at Salwarpe and one at Porter's Mill.
A Yellowhammer near Porter's Mill
A couple of House Martins high over that area today and two over Copcut yesterday evening
Five Sparrowhawks over Coney Meadow in quick succession - all flying south
Grey Wagtails, Meadow Pipits and Skylarks on the move.
A couple of flocks of Linnets over
Ravens, Jays, Jackdaws, Rooks, Mistle Thrushes, Goldcrests, Coal Tits, Nuthatch, Grey Herons, Starling flocks, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs.

One Painted Lady, several Peacocks, Speckled Woods and one Brimstone butterfly plus several Migrant Hawkers and two Common Darters.

A Little Egret again this evening - flew west over Coney Meadow at dusk and continued past the village along the valley. Just one Swallow flew over around dusk.

11 House Martins flew high due South over Copcut earlier.

Tawny Owls are very vocal through the night at the top end of Salwarpe village (heading up towards Village hall). Had a few nights like this recently. Young ones being moved on I suspect.

Triturus

A female Stonechat this evening on fenceline by Tapenhall farm - while I was watching it caught and ate a large caterpillar. A Chiffchaff was in a nearby orchard.

I won't be counting the 8 Red-legged Partridges nearby though as they are fresh out of a cage.

A Snipe flew over Porter's Mill and a Kingfisher was on the mill pond.

A few Red Admirals flying about still.

A Coot was on the fishing pool.

30+ Swallows flew over Copcut Rise late afternoon plus a pair of Peregrines.
Another Stonechat was seen briefly along the fenceline at Copcut but proved to be elusive.
The Little Owl showed on its favourite perch this morning near Ladywood.
5 Cormorants
2 Kestrels
1 Sparrowhawk
Buzzards
2 Ravens
20+ Skylarks
several flocks of Meadow Pipits
Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers
Reed Buntings
40 or so Pied Wagtails roosted in Coney Reedbed
Several Grey Wagtails

Not quite on the patch but, as I got out of my car this evening (about 6:20 pm), I saw a Peregrine fly over -heading in the direction of Copcut.

A Stonechat (1st w male) at Copcut Rise this afternoon.
3 Yellowhammers at Tapenhall this morning
Male Kestrel
Sparrowhawk male
Skylarks and Meadow Pipits
Grey Heron
Grey Wagtails
Little Owl at Ladywood
Buzzards
Reed Buntings

A few further species recorded this weekend:

A pair of Blackcaps at Porter's Mill yesterday
7 Canada Geese over Coney this morning
1 Cormorant perched in a dead tree along the Salwarpe
Coal Tits (Salwarpe village and Copcut Rise)
Mistle Thrushes
Yellowhammer at Copcut Rise today
Nuthatch Salwarpe
Lots of Jays flying around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back