• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for opinions, You can only choose 1..... (1 Viewer)

I am well experienced with some of these, but not Vortex, they are now all made in China.

You need to include the Nikon Monarch HG, it is very good, and compares well to the Conquest HD.

The Leica Trinovid HD is also good, but the Nikon and the Zeiss are the cream of the crop in the
mid-range right now.

Jerry

I had the chance to put a Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide side by side today with the new Vortex Viper HD, both in 10x42. They BX-4 is clearly superior in sharpness, brightness, and build quality. Both the Viper and Razor had "Made in China" imprinted on them, and you could tell it if you went over them with a fine tooth comb. Notably, the new Chinese Razor's eyecups would not stay put when put in the intermediate positions. Vortex' really screwed the pooch on this move to China deal.

jgraider;3754426 the new Chinese Razor's eyecups would not stay put when put in the intermediate positions. [/QUOTE said:
JG
This is what I found with both Viper and Razor 42mm at Bird Fair, but were the previous made in Japan eye cups any better?

Lee

I never noticed it the few times I handled the previous Japanese models. Not saying it wasn't there, but since i always found something better, or at least as good as Vortex for less money, Vortex never made the cut. The move to China is very unimpressive.

Optically, any of the three models or the above mentioned Monarch HG would suffice. I doubt you'll be able to find much aside from differences in personal taste when comparing the three.

I though the Razor HD superior based on ergonomics and a few other factors, but if I had to choose between the above four models, I'd go with the Monarch HG. It's an all around nice handling, optically pleasing instrument that appears to be as well made as the others.

The Kowa Genesis is probably the best optically in that price bracket but the ergonomics and narrow FoV are significant downsides to consider.

The Tract Toric HTs also look to be a contender, considering they are simply an improved Toric, which was already a model with a lot of acclaim on this forum.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back