• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oregon in Fall (1 Viewer)

Jim Lundberg

I'm vacationing in Oregon in late September with plans to spend a few days in each of Newport, Florence, Bend and Lebanon/Albany. In addition to shorebirds, I would like to photograph Clark's Nutcracker, Townsend's Solitaire, Grey Jay, any of the Western specific Woodpeckers and Finches. I have spent several hours of online research for Oregon birdlists and birding hotspots, but nothing replaces local knowledge. I would most appreciate suggestions for where to best spend a little time in those areas - best refuges in the Willamette Valley, Siuslaw, estuaries, coast and Cascade hotspots, etc.
Thank you so much, Jim

I’m just back from Newport, Oregon, though I was only able to squeeze one morning of birding into the trip. We visited the park at Yaquina Head and enjoyed great masses of common murres, pigeon guillemots, Brandt’s and pelagic cormorants nesting in the cliffs and rocks surrounding the lighthouse. There were close views of brown pelicans and black oystercatchers. The tidepools and black cobble beaches were very nice as well. I’m afraid we just drove tantalizingly near great mudflats and wildlife refuges as we drove north on 101 back to Portland. Someday.

I can heartily not recommend eating in Mo’s in Newport and strongly endorse Siletz Oatmeal Stout however. Good luck on your trip.

Last edited:
I spent a couple of days in the Sisters/Bend area last September and found Clark's Nutcracker, Townsend's Solitaire, Pinyon Jay, and American Three-toed Woodpecker.

There is a short feature on it here:

Oregon Mountain Birds

I found "Birding Oregon" by John Rakestraw useful.

Good luck!

I’m just back from Newport, Oregon, though I was only able to squeeze one morning of birding into the trip. We visited the park at Yaquina Head and enjoyed great masses of common murres, pigeon guillemots, Brandt’s and pelagic cormorants nesting in the cliffs and rocks surrounding the lighthouse. There were close views of brown pelicans and black oystercatchers. The tidepools and black cobble beaches were very nice as well. I’m afraid we just drove tantalizing near great mudflats and wildlife refuges as we drove north on 101 back to Portland. Someday.

I can heartily not recommend eating in Mo’s in Newport and strongly endorse Siletz Oatmeal Stout however. Good luck on your trip.

BeesWing,
Thank you for the reply. Don't you hate it when work gets in the way of birding? I will certainly visit the park at Yaquina Head. A Black Oystercatcher is a Lifer for me and looks to be a year-round resident. I wonder if the Murres will have moved offshore by late September.
Mo's, at one time, had a reputation for good clam chowder at a reasonable price -- too bad.
Jim

I spent a couple of days in the Sisters/Bend area last September and found Clark's Nutcracker, Townsend's Solitaire, Pinyon Jay, and American Three-toed Woodpecker.

There is a short feature on it here:

Oregon Mountain Birds

I found "Birding Oregon" by John Rakestraw useful.

Good luck!

Harold,
I will hunt down "Birding Oregon". Again, I have found your website to be informative with beautiful photos. It gives me confidence that I will find some of the birds on my higher elevations wishlist.
Thank you, Jim

Just back from a trip to southern Oregon and would recommend Cape Arago and Face rock at Bandon beach (river otter playing in the surf as well as loads of whimbrels, godwits and sea birds) as good places. Also another recommendation for Mo's this time in Florence.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back