• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maximum reproduction ratio (1 Viewer)

avan

avan
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the term. My lens have a max repro ratio of 1:4, some other lens said 1:7, this is mean a 1:7 may look like appear bigger than the 1:4 ratio. Hope someone can explain.

Thanks

avan said:
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the term. My lens have a max repro ratio of 1:4, some other lens said 1:7, this is mean a 1:7 may look like appear bigger than the 1:4 ratio. Hope someone can explain.

Thanks
There are two possibilities here. The 1 - 4 could be the Zoom Ratio i.e a 75 - 300mm zoom has a 4 to 1 ratio. The Maximum focal length is 4 times the minimum. A 18-125mm is amost a 7-1 zoom range but the magnification at 125 would be way short of the 300 on the 4-1 so you can see that if you are refering to zoom ratio the figures are useless unless you give the focal lengths with them.
The other possibility is that you are refering to the maximum magnification possible at the closest focussing distance. In this case 1:4 could mean that the image recorded will be ¼ of life size while 1:7 would be 1 seventh of life size. These figures work regardless of focal length and often mean that to get the maximum magnification the lens is almost touching the subject.
I hope that this does not cause too much confusion and may even help a little.

Thank you very much Cannoffice.
My question was regarding the maximum magnification possible, and you answer well. thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back