• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings~ Stourbridge. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

21 Waxwings at 10.45am this morning at Stourbridge, West Midlands. The birds were flying to and from the trees opposite Wilkinsons car Park on Stourbridge Ring Road, also flying to Mercedes garage roof next to Rowan trees.

What a treat they were to see!! :D

Merry Christmas West Midlanders!

Attachments

• P1110106 [].JPG
    P1110106 [].JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 216
  • P1110110 [].JPG
    P1110110 [].JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 214
  • P1110108 [].JPG
    P1110108 [].JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 221
Thanks for the info Pam:t:. poped down there this afternoon where there were 3 birds still lingering. My first waxwings of the winter. Now to find the Brierley Hill waxies, tried Sion Close but nothing doing there.

Love the middle pic, Pam, looks like they're about to start sledging!
Happy Christmas to you and yours, also

I also managed to see 3 Waxwings at the Mercedes Garage as well this afternoon, another 6 flew over but the long stayers decided to stay put! A few shoppers wondered what we were doing with binoculars on the ring road but once they knew that we were birdwatching they were quite taken by the sight of the Waxwings through a fellow birder's scope!

We decided to head over to the public footpath near Roman Way (by Stourbridge Crematorium) to firstly have a nice walk and secondly to see if we could find some more Waxwings as they had been reported in this area during the week......we only saw 150+ Waxwings being flushed from the top of a tree by a Sparrowhawk after literally only 2 minutes of walking!!!! It was a lovely sight to see and the sound they made was quite magical!!! What a super Christmas Eve!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!:D

Attachments

• P1250732 [].JPG
    P1250732 [].JPG
    35 KB · Views: 190
  • P1250733 [].JPG
    P1250733 [].JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 184
  • P1250743 [].JPG
    P1250743 [].JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 215
Thanks for the info Pam:t:. poped down there this afternoon where there were 3 birds still lingering. My first waxwings of the winter. Now to find the Brierley Hill waxies, tried Sion Close but nothing doing there.

I am so pleased for you Graham! Good luck with the Brierley Hill Waxies!:t:

Love the middle pic, Pam, looks like they're about to start sledging!
Happy Christmas to you and yours, also

Thanks Mary. Glad you liked the almost sledging Waxwings pic!

I also managed to see 3 Waxwings at the Mercedes Garage as well this afternoon, another 6 flew over but the long stayers decided to stay put! A few shoppers wondered what we were doing with binoculars on the ring road but once they knew that we were birdwatching they were quite taken by the sight of the Waxwings through a fellow birder's scope!

We decided to head over to the public footpath near Roman Way (by Stourbridge Crematorium) to firstly have a nice walk and secondly to see if we could find some more Waxwings as they had been reported in this area during the week......we only saw 150+ Waxwings being flushed from the top of a tree by a Sparrowhawk after literally only 2 minutes of walking!!!! It was a lovely sight to see and the sound they made was quite magical!!! What a super Christmas Eve!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!:D

Well done Emma with the 150+ flock and super pics! I may have a walk along that footpath tomorrow afternoon if I haven't eaten too much Christmas pud!:eat:
Definately a super Christmas Eve!:t:

1 Waxwing seen this morning along public footpath at the end of Roman Way (Stourbridge crematorium).
125 were reported here yesterday. I spoke to a Lady this morning who had had great views of them as they fed on the berries of a small tree.

Other species seen this morning were Mistle Thrush, Starling, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Redwing, Blue & Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Chaffinch, G S Woodpecker and 8 Collared Doves. The most Collared Doves I have seen at one time for quite a long time.

Last edited:
I was near Ashwoods Garden Centre, nr Kingswinford, yesterday afternoon Along the lane, near the main A449, I got a good view of a flock of about 25+ Waxwings flying Westwards towards private woodland and gardens. My first ever sighting!! But still not heard of sightings as far West as Martley/Gt Witley area. Angie

Hi, i was just walking back from gornal direction heading towards kingswinford, my wife spotted about 16 waxwings in a small tree, no more than 6 feet away from the pavement, there were a few more opposite side of the road in the top of a very tall tree, this was right at the junction of stallings lane and tansey green road, if your coming from kingswinford direction the birds were opposite side of the island on the left and the right corners.

There is a good chance they could still be there because they were eating something off the small tree, could have been berries or something. like i said, if you are approaching the island coming from kingswinford, look opposite corner and look up, very very tall tree,they were right in the top and flying down to the opposite corner. This was about 11am-11:15am this morning 26th jan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back