• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (4 Viewers)

A great morning spent with Ben Nevis, our annual outing together and very enjoyable it was too.
Firstly at Son Bosc at least six Bee-eaters entertained us.
At the depuradora a Green Sandpiper, breeding Common tern, Purple heron, Marbled duck and a few Marsh harriers were the highlights.
A nice walk around Son Real followed and although it was very quiet, it had its moments with a super Hoopoe posing for us from the hide.
Good to meet up again Ben, great fun as always and thanks for keeping me so well informed on the health of Scotland’s wonderful birdlife including those majestic eagles.
Keep up the good work, see you next year!
All the best, Mike

Attachments

• A3F3E3E1-9C6F-496B-9038-4BE8E058166E.jpg
    A3F3E3E1-9C6F-496B-9038-4BE8E058166E.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 31
Pallid calls are also quite distinct:t:

That is some day out - just contrast it with a day in my area of the West Midlands where there is hardly a Hirundine in the sky this year:C

Laurie -

I have received a few reports of Song thrush being seen. I saw one at the Cap de Ses Salines last week, one was seen nearby and Philip saw one yesterday at s’Albufera. Exceptional dates.
Also at Albufera, one Little Bittern, 3 Greenshank and 24 Spotted redshank.
At Salobrar this morning, 2 Green sandpipers, 3 Spotted redshank, 3 Greenshank, 3 Wood sandpipers and 2 Curlew.
Mike

Far and away the best place I have found for studying Pallid Swift are the caves at Porto Colom just under the “frying pan” roundabout.
StewB and I watched them going to and from the nest, the birds being incredibly close.
Views are possible from above and below so all identification features can be observed for as long as you want.
It must also be the best place for photographing them.
Super birds to watch.
Mike

I don’t know if anyone else has ever done a “Big Day” birding but Philip and I did several years ago.
Our day total was 93 species after 11 grueling hours non-stop.
I will never do that again, that’s for sure.
Mike

Far and away the best place I have found for studying Pallid Swift are the caves at Porto Colom just under the “frying pan” roundabout.
StewB and I watched them going to and from the nest, the birds being incredibly close.
Views are possible from above and below so all identification features can be observed for as long as you want.
It must also be the best place for photographing them.
Super birds to watch.
Mike

It was a brilliant place to observe them Mike, and as you say you can really spend time getting to grips with ID. The stand-out memory that day though was the distressed German girl who thought her boyfriend had fallen from the cliffs - until we spotted him climbing across in his flip-flops!

I agree with Laurie too, pallid swift call is different to common swift - something which helped me to pick up a pallid in a large swift flock over Ca’n Cuarassa in June.

Stew

Haha Stew, yes, I don’t think we will ever forget that day. I thought we were looking for a dead body then he appeared from nowhere. Fancy going rock climbing in flip-flops.
To add the the Pallid Swift debate, apparently the two species have very different skulls.
Pallid Swift appears much more “Bull-headed” with an “alien eye” and the bill is much more triangular when viewed from above, Common Swift being more narrow and pointed. Quite difficult to observe in the field though.
Mike

The phrase ‘jizz’ springs to mind and what i like about the phrase is that you can incorporate all the things you feel are pertinent about not only the species but how it is perceived by you.

I remember, during my very early days, when i was stumbling in the dark trying to learn birdsong remembering that Moorhen (to me) sounded like one of the squeaky toys i had as a child. The bird made the same sound as when i trod on it and things like that have kept me in good stead for the last 45+ years:t:

Incidentally i believe ‘jizz’ is a phonetic of the acronym GIS - this derives from training given to US servicemen on identifying distant Japanese aircraft by silhoette i.e the ‘General Impression and Shape.....

Good birding -

Laurie -

Thanks Laurie. Jizz is of course very important. I find ID from photos much more difficult, no jizz!
There is just something about some birds that is hard to explain but is vital for identification.
For instance, Black Redstarts here in the winter alight on a rock, bob once and then pump their tail. They always do it so I can identify one at a great distance without seeing any other features.
I agree about the origins of jizz although I heard it was giss, general impression of size and shape.
There is quite a bit of information about it on the internet if you search “Giss birding”.
Mike

Last edited:
Finally I could see a picture of the pressumed Green Woodpecker detected in Mallorca a few days ago and unfortunately it was not. It was a Common Starling in active moult.

Best wishes,
Maties

Oh dear Maties!
I rather thought it might be.
I have been called out three times for Green woodpeckers, one was a Starling, one a Greenfinch and the latest one was calling only but was a Wryneck.
One day maybe, you never know but I still think Green woodpecker is very unlikely.
Mike

Does anyone know of any reliable sites ln Puerto Pollensa for Scops Owl or Turtle Dove ? Would like to see some before heading home next week

I wouldn’t have thought a request would be needed for Turtle Dove i had no problem bumping into them wherever i went a few years ago - unless things have changed? As for Scops Owl i waited until the early hours, stuck my head outside the window and cycled off to where they were calling - 3 in total and that was in Alcudia:t:

Laurie -

Hi Ben Nevis
I’m not sure if things have changed but I met a year lister recently who hadn’t seen a Turtle dove all year. I think they are less numerous in the north.
Certainly here in the south they are plentiful with four or five in my road alone and 14 seen on the way down to Cap de Ses Salines recently, but they are of course a declining species due to habitat loss and persecution.
If only people would stop shooting them, we might get to see a few more.
Scops owls are more difficult in the north too, especially now that the popular bird at the back of an hotel is no longer showing. It’s a good idea as you say Laurie, to go out into the countryside and listen for them.
The road down to the depuradora by Son Bosc and the platform is a good place at dusk. They show along the fences so if you can get there, it may prove fruitful.
I know on our day out together we didn’t see a Turtle dove all day. Can Cuarassa might be ok.
Good luck, Mike

Coming from the North East of Scotland,Turtle Doves would be a joy to see.l have been in quite a few habitats that l thought would hold some but as of yet,no joy.Thanks for the advice,Mike

I didn’t realise they were locally scarce and also do not know what the current shooting situation is - i don’t go to Malta because of that, i don’t want to pencil in another Mediterranean island on my list:C

Laurie:t:

Hi Laurie.
I have asked around about hunting here and I believe the situation is quite good. I have never heard of any illegal hunting but apparently the vet gets a few birds of prey injured with shotgun pellets so I guess it must go on.
Things are slowly getting better but it won’t be eliminated overnight.
I complained vigorously about Malta and other countries and I got some very aggressive replies including one invitation to go there to meet some hunters who told me I wouldn’t need a return ticket home. I think I got the picture.
I live in hope of a world without illegal hunting.
Mike

Just returned from a few days in Mallorca, alas birding was few and far between but managed some lifers...

Black-winged stilts (on road to Es Trenc and salt flats)
Woodchat Shrike (on road to Es Trenc)
Hoopoe (on road to Es trenc and Cala Blava)
Kentish Plover (road to Es trenc, S'albufera)
Night Heron (S'albufera)
Purple Swamphen (S'albufera)
Audouin's Gull (Es trenc and Palma)
Crag Martin

Turtle dove heard (on road to Es trenc)

Other birds included fantastic close views of Little Ringed Plover at S'albufera.
Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Kestrel, Red Kite, Sardinian Warbler, Green Sandpiper, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Wren, Avocet, Raven, Spotted Flycatcher, Coot, Moorhen.

I also had alovely moment of being joined by a diving Shag when snorkelling.

Annoyingly there were a few glimpses and noises of things that were just missed, hopefully I can catch up with those next time.

A big thanks to Mike and this forum for all the tips. If I may close with some ID help on 2 images...

I'm assuming the first are Spotted Redshank ?
(taken at S'albufera distant and roosting when I saw them)

The second was taken at Cuber Resevoir, Griffon Vulture ?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 117
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 118
That’s a nice number of Spotted redshanks just moulting out of summer plumage, well done.
I see at least one has been ringed. It would be fascinating to know where they bred.
I don’t have a good record for identifying raptors from photos but I can’t help thinking your bird is a Black (Cinereous) Vulture.
Maybe someone else could help us out.
Mike

Does anyone know of any reliable sites ln Puerto Pollensa for Scops Owl or Turtle Dove ? Would like to see some before heading home next week

When I was there in June I heard a Scop’s Owl. I was up near the Finca at the start of the Bocquer and it seemed to be coming from Postage Stamp wood or thereabouts. Couldn’t find it though.

Not at PP, but I had loads of turtle doves at Son Real.

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back