• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where Have the Birds Gone (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I went to Norfolk two weeks ago (to evacuate from the Severn-Trent area as we had no water!) I had a great week's birding - 30 new ticks - but now I am back the local birds have gone missing.
I my garden in the last week I have seen one Robin, one Dunnock and a couple of Woodpigeon (plus the Pigeons that live in a house behind us). No Blackbirds, no Starlings, no Sparrows, and no Magpies and Crows on nearby roofs. The Greenfinches, Blue Tits, Great Tits and Goldfinches had stopped coming a few weeks earlier.
In my trips around birding etc. (including a drive to Llanelli and back) I have seen virtually no Rooks, Starlings, Crows or House Martins, and just one Collared Dove. I don't think I have seen a Blackbird anywhere in the last seven days.
Have all the birds gone off somewhere on their summer holidays?
The only birds still vaguely common are Lesser Black-backed Gulls and more Black-backed Gulls than usual.
Alan

The passerine breeding season is all but over, and august is the month when smaller birds go and moult. It's most likely that the birds are still in your garden, but staying out of the way of predators while they are at their most vulnerable.

The passerine breeding season is all but over, and august is the month when smaller birds go and moult. It's most likely that the birds are still in your garden, but staying out of the way of predators while they are at their most vulnerable.
Thanks for that. I will see if things liven up in a week or two.
Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back