• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Borneo moth IDs (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
Have checked a lot of resources online and haven't found anything very close to these that makes me confident I'm getting close to an ID. Even getting to the family level would be helpful. Both were taken in upper montane forest in Sabah in Mount Kinabalu National Park (maybe 1500 meters elevation). (Pretty sure the blue one is a moth, but not certain!)

Attachments

• Gelechiid Moth, genus Coydalla-P7315277.jpg
    Gelechiid Moth, genus Coydalla-P7315277.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Moth sp.--genus Trichaetoides-P7315346.jpg
    Moth sp.--genus Trichaetoides-P7315346.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 17
The resting posture of the first rings bells with me but I'll have to think about it. Possibly Oecophoridae or something close. Have you tried the plates in the Moths of Borneo series by Jeremy Holloway, which are available on-line.

The resting posture of the first rings bells with me but I'll have to think about it. Possibly Oecophoridae or something close. Have you tried the plates in the Moths of Borneo series by Jeremy Holloway, which are available on-line.

Thanks. I had used the plates to ID various other photos once I had an idea of something close, but hadn't tried to use them to ID from scratch--guess I thought they were only partially completed. But I just did a check for the blue one and this appears to be it: http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-11/Boarmiini/boarmiini_1_2.php

Haven't tried the other one yet; but since the plates don't have illustrations of the moths in natural resting postures, it will be more difficult!

Yes, I'd looked at M. fulgida but dismissed it on the basis that the red fascia only extends to the middle of the forewing, not to the hind margin.
As for the other, Moths of Borneo only deals with the macro moths, not the micros.
Martin

Yes, I'd looked at M. fulgida but dismissed it on the basis that the red fascia only extends to the middle of the forewing, not to the hind margin.

Good point, but I think it is by far the closest option in the book (or the galleries of Borneo moth photos I've reviewed). Online photos suggest some variation in the length of the orange striping; though it might also be an unrecognized species.

Last edited:
Always possible.
I've sent a copy of the micro to a colleague. I'll let you know what he thinks.
Martin

Your micro is a member of the family Lecithoceridae, probably the genus Lecithocera and perhaps a sp. near Lecithocera erecta Meyrick.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back