• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriental Dollarbird (1 Viewer)

WaqarM

Hello everyone,

I am a new member and an amateur birders from Pakistan. Recently I have photographed an Oriental Dollarbird near the city of Karachi. The location is pretty odd as it is away from it's natural habitat which ends in the eastern part of India. What can be a possible explanation for it? Here is a picture.

Attachments

• DSC_5283.jpg
    DSC_5283.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 109
Thank you so much for appreciating ��. This is the first time this bird has been photographed in the country. This picture was taken on November 30, 2019

It's the second 'odd' record in weird looking habitat (for the species) for Pakistan recently following the Thick-billed Green Pigeon and both, appear to have been photographed at eye level, particularly odd for the Pigeon.

Who found these birds?

Last edited:
It's the second 'odd' record in weird looking habitat (for the species) for Pakistan recently following the Thick-billed Green Pigeon and both, appear to have been photographed at eye level, particularly odd for the Pigeon.

Who found these birds?

According to the last post of other thread, the pigeon seems to be photographed by the same person as the author of this thread ...

Yes. I have photographed both the birds along with a couple of more photographers in November. Thick-billed Green Pigeon photographed on Nov 11 and this one on Nov 30. Both locations are around 30 kms apart from each other.

Yes. I have photographed both the birds along with a couple of more photographers in November. Thick-billed Green Pigeon photographed on Nov 11 and this one on Nov 30. Both locations are around 30 kms apart from each other.

Who found both these birds?

We found them. I along with my couple of friends have been birding around Karachi quite frequently these days. The possibility that thick-billed green pigeon was an escapee is on a higher side because on the same day and around the same time we also photographed an Orange breasted green pigeon out of it's natural habitat but as far as I know dollarbirds are not caged birds which makes this specific case quite different. Here is the picture of the Orange breasted green pigeon I took on Nov 11.

Attachments

• DSC_4033.jpg
    DSC_4033.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 38
Pakistan has probably fewer birdwatchers than Europe, so birds that stray there rarely come to the attention of the general public - or even birders. Just guessing. :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back