• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most universal smart phone adapter I have found yet for a very fair price (1 Viewer)

john.varner33

birder john
This smart phone adapter seems to be the most universal I have seen and researched. I am pretty new to the forum but I specialize in all smart phone photography mostly digiscoping. There have been several adapters that have come out lately but most of them are either scope or phone specific. A lot of my work has been done by hand because of those restrictions. This one actually works with all phones/cases as well as all scopes/binos and gave me great results. Here are a couple of pictures I got while using it out at Farmington Bay here in Utah.

[Adapter: Smart Optix Field Guide....smartoptix.com]

John

Attachments

• IMG_7206.jpg
    IMG_7206.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_7236.jpg
    IMG_7236.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_6885.jpg
    IMG_6885.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
More details please. What scope/binoculars was used for these photos? What were the distances? How much cropping?

I was using a Vortex Viper HD 80mm spotting scope with the iPhone 4. Cinnamon Teal: 70 yards; negligible cropping. Norther Shoveler: 60 yards; negligible cropping. Blue Heron: 115 yards; zero cropping. I was at about 35-45X on the scope with a slight zoom using my phone for all three pictures. Too much zoom with the phone makes them too grainy. I was able to get really clear pictures because the adaptor (field guide) I was using allows micro adjusting for a perfect image every time. Any other questions? Im really excited about my set-up right now so I will be posting several times a week. Im going out to the marsh tomorrow by my house for a bit to get more pictures/videos. By the way, is it possible to post videos? Because the iPhone 4 has HD video, I would love to post some of the amazing videos I have gotten.

I was using a Vortex Viper HD 80mm spotting scope with the iPhone 4. Cinnamon Teal: 70 yards; negligible cropping. Norther Shoveler: 60 yards; negligible cropping. Blue Heron: 115 yards; zero cropping. I was at about 35-45X on the scope with a slight zoom using my phone for all three pictures. Too much zoom with the phone makes them too grainy. I was able to get really clear pictures because the adaptor (field guide) I was using allows micro adjusting for a perfect image every time. Any other questions? Im really excited about my set-up right now so I will be posting several times a week. Im going out to the marsh tomorrow by my house for a bit to get more pictures/videos. By the way, is it possible to post videos? Because the iPhone 4 has HD video, I would love to post some of the amazing videos I have gotten.

Many thanks for the detailed answers to my questions. Your results so far have been quite impressive and I'm looking forward to future posts with great interest. It's amazing what these minuscule cameras can do!

I have the new Smart Optix adapter and I am very pleased. It works well with my iPhone 4S in its protective case, and it fits my Swarovski ATX EP. Previously I used the Kowa adapter with my Swaro 80, and it worked fine but the case gradually disintegrated at the bottom within six months of using it. The only negative about the Field Guide adapter is that it's too big to fit in my pocket, but nothing's perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back