• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day One VERY RARE BIRD (1 Viewer)

slave_to_mac

Hello Everyone.
I live on the edge of the Peak District overlooking a wooded valley and I've been meaning to put up a bird table. Today I finally got around to it:t:
Sitting on the sofa looking out of the window I'm about four metres from the table and could kick myself for waiting so long.

In the first hour I've seen:

Blue tits
Great tits
Robin
Nuthatch
Magpie
Mistle thrush
Thrush
Blackbird
(and a couple I haven't identified yet)

I'm stunned at the variety.

When we first moved into this cottage, we noticed our neighbours bird table and my husband said 'Hey, what kind of bird is THAT on the bird table? I've never seen one like it" I took a look and grinned. 'Yes, I said, "It's really rare, I think it's called the Great Hairy Coconut" <sniggers>. He is a bit short sighted

Hi slave_to_mac,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t

I think almost every birder has misidentified an inanimate object for a bird at some point - distant white post = Little Egret etc ;)

And a blue plastic back is a Kingfisher! :-O

Hi slave_to_mac and a warm welcome from me too

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I'll look forward to hearing all your news.

D

I once had a neighbour whose garden backed on to ours. He was a bird photographer and sometimes set his camera up in the kitchen window, overlooking a bird table and a branch for a perch. One day, seeing that he was out of the room, I quickly climbed the fence and placed a bright orange "bird" that had been on an Easter bonnet, on the perch. My wife and I then peeped out through our curtains as my neighbour came back into his kitchen. I will never forget the look on his face as he first caught sight of the rarity on his perch. He did a double take, then looked straight over to our house, shaking his fist. He's never let me forget it (and I never will!)

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would be quite embarrassed if I had to list every inanimate object I mistook for a bird.

Once with a Spanish friend we were driving in the country and he commented; "isn't it awful how people just chuck plastic bags everywhere" - I agreed , "damned disgusting" - I saw him grinning and looked again at the field full of white plastic - oh they are Cattle Egrets!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back