• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica ID help (1 Viewer)

kingzig

Need some confirmation on some birds from a recent trip to Costa Rica, if some of them are obvious, I apologize, new country for me! These are from San Gerardo de Dota, pacific side of the continental divide at 7000ft

Attachments

• DSC_4540.jpg
    DSC_4540.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_4560.jpg
    DSC_4560.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_4577.jpg
    DSC_4577.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_4646.jpg
    DSC_4646.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_4594.jpg
    DSC_4594.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 42
1 Volcano Hummingbird
2 Lesser (split from Green) Violetear
3 Probably Streak-headed Woodcreeper
4 Female White-throated Mountain Gem
5 Black-faced Solitaire

Others with access to their books will correct my errors

A

I would say

1) I thought Speckled Hummingbird but seemingly not in Costa Rica (very common in Colombia), so I follow Andy and say Volcano Hummingbird
2) Lesser Violet-ear (I'm still saying Green Violet-ear in the field, time to update!)
3) Spot-crowned Woodcreeper (I see spots on crown but the photo is a bit blurred, I can be wrong)
4) White-throated Mountain Gem
5) Black-faced Solitaire

Last edited:
What's this one, I don't remember that being in CR at all unless it's an alternative name for Volcano Hummer?

For 3 I think you mean Woodcreeper not Woodpecker.

Corrected for the woodcreeper, and I didn't check for the Speckled Hummer, I based on Colombia but I should have checked first. Thanks.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back