• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird feeders Kuusamo and Oulu and between (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
Hi

I will be doing the Finnature one-day tours in Kuusamo and Oulu in late May this year and will have 2 days spare between the 2 trips. Given the cost of a private guide has been quoted at €500 a day, can anyone recommend some productive feeders I can spend some time at over those 2 days for Sib jays, tits, grosbeaks, that sort of thing ? I'm aware of the feeders at Valtavaara and possibly some at Livaara...and maybe a garden near Oivanki/Singerjarvi lake but any info would be gratefully received.

Anything near Oulu ?

Thanks
Tony

Hi

I will be doing the Finnature one-day tours in Kuusamo and Oulu in late May this year and will have 2 days spare between the 2 trips. Given the cost of a private guide has been quoted at €500 a day, can anyone recommend some productive feeders I can spend some time at over those 2 days for Sib jays, tits, grosbeaks, that sort of thing ? I'm aware of the feeders at Valtavaara and possibly some at Livaara...and maybe a garden near Oivanki/Singerjarvi lake but any info would be gratefully received.

Anything near Oulu ?

Thanks
Tony

The best I can suggest is to keep checking ebird in the run-up to your departure. This was very useful for finding active feeders in March. I'm not sure late May is the best time of year to be looking for these species at feeders.

The best I can suggest is to keep checking ebird in the run-up to your departure. This was very useful for finding active feeders in March. I'm not sure late May is the best time of year to be looking for these species at feeders.

Thanks - yes I appreciate winter would be better for feeders. I have the Gosney "book" and have looked at Ebird so I'm aware of the few key sites but with so few birds scattered over so many trees, having a focal point like feeders can be invaluable to anyone self-guiding. Last time I visited I saw very few birds on my own. I'm surprised that there aren't more houses/restaurants with feeders to attract the jays and tits in particular in from the vast expanse of the wild ?

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back