• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So....SF 8X42 has arrived... (1 Viewer)

Gijs,

I'm curious as to whether you have spectral comparisons for various Dialyt 7x42 production runs. Several people have commented that the coatings didn't seem to vary, and for that reason suggest that it's a waste of money trying to upgrade the T*P issue with the later T*P*. Comment?

Ed

Hi Ed

P and P* are exactly the same: the added * does not signify an improvement was made to the phase coating and was only added to make the P look the same as T* which was well respected by that time.

Lee

Ed, post 158,
I am sorry that it took some time before I could react on your question, but I was abroad among others to investigate the new Leica Trinovid HD.
With regard to your question: No we did not investigate the development of the coatings of the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt, but it will undoubtedly follow the patteren of other Zeiss binoculars: gradual improvements over the years. Lee already answered your question with regard to P and P* coating.
Gijs van Ginkel

Dear Ed & Gijs

Please forgive me for diving in between you with an answer concerning P*.

I hadn't noticed that your question, Ed, was addressed to Gijs.

Apologies.

Lee

Gijs and Lee,

Thanks for both your responses. :t:

I tend to favor the notion that if: (1) there is no difference between P and P* coatings (i.e., they remained unimproved over the years), and (2) obsessively skilled observers can't detect a difference between the color balance of the T*P and T*P* models, then the T* coating used in them were probably not improved either.

If the opportunity ever presents itself it would be very interesting (alto of dubious importance other than curiosity) to obtain transmission data for the two types under identical testing conditions.

Thanks gain,
Ed

PS. Full disclosure: I use a T*P model and have skin in the game.

Ed,

As I'm sure you know, perceived sharpness reaches it's peak in the 5 to 10 arcminute range. For photography the classic targets are images of spilled coins or fallen leaves. Likewise with binoculars fairly informally patterned targets can vary in their perceived definition at spacial frequencies around an order lower than their effective resolution.

A few months back I reviewed the Kite Bonelli 2.0. It had an excellent effective resolution, but lacking ED glass, the CA could have been better. Indeed, in one comparison the Zeiss FL had less fringing, but the Bonellis appeared sharper. It was most easily demonstrated viewing pebbles on the shore at a distance to give an apparent 5-10' range in sizing. These were a mixture of greys and earth colours. The difference appeared reduced on other patterned targets with different colour mixes. It may have changed again as the ambient light changed as I've noted on other occasions. I don't know if this kind of response can be predicted from MTF analysis, but I suspect colour may need to be taken into consideration. I'm yet to be convinced it's an intentional part of binocular design at present but, never the less, differences appear between models and between samples of the same modlel it seems.

I must admit I've been in the habit of calling effective resolution sharpness, but here I'm referring to quite a different property. It can be quite confusing.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the interesting post. Occasionally I've experienced some of the contrast effects you mentioned (coins, pebbles, etc.), but I'm not sure I'd call that sharpness. Frankly, I haven't given it much thought. As you say, it's not clear how MTF analysis would be informative, particularly if the perception depends on the color mix, illumination, and are influenced by sample variations.

The only similar color-contrast related phenomenon that begs for an explanation in my mind, is the Swift 804ED's ability to reveal subtle color variations and gradations in birds' plumage. This is quite an amazing experience. But it may be idiosyncratic or limited to my particular model type (apparently the same one reviewed by Steve Ingraham in the early 90s). Few others have commented about it.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back