• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash Bird Paintings for All (1 Viewer)

They're not aggressive just shy and skittish, and wont come very near even when I put feed down, was hoping to get close enough to see the intricate feather pattern on those two..

Both have a great sense of posture and movement. A continuation of Nick's poultry theme (water chickens and scraggly forest chicken I think).

Last year I tried unsuccessfully to draw some of the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that zip through our yard for a couple of months in the summer. Even when they're not zipping their wings are moving too fast to portray.

But this summer I've made a more concerted effort to draw them and have done numerous sketches. Tonight one landed near me while I had my camera out. So I snapped a couple of photos of it in flight.

I can't say much for this coloristically but it does do a pretty good job I think of a RTH's posture when in flight. That's what I concentrated on. Then I tried to capture the blur of wings that photo showed. And in last few minutes I tried to whip out a background. Well the background doesn't work at all.

But I am happy with the general from of the RTH. Maybe this flash will lead to a real painting of some sort eventually.

Attachments

• rtHummerFlash072610.jpg
    rtHummerFlash072610.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 48
OOh! Chooks with attitude and a lil' hummer!

Chooks are great, are you using the whole negative space thing like I've been with the flashers? You know, painting around the space that defines the bird then fillinfg in the details? I've found it's the best way to start a painting with no prep drawing.

The hummer's a little gem too Ken, I agree with Colleen that these flash jobs are gonna be a bit trickier in wc than in acrylics or oils so well done you for being brave enough to tackle it in the first place! (By the way, that's wc as in watercolour not water closet! Just in case there's any misunderstanding..

Mike

chooks? is that what chickens are called over there?

Actually, I mix colors 3 values....the load a brush and in 2 or 3 strokes try for the whole thing, as in masses...the do the details and finally refine the form with the bg...

OK you Iders this is a "Flash" painting who is the painter;)

a bottle of Pinot Noir to the first to guess (virtual of courseB :))

Attachments

• mallard small.jpg
    mallard small.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
yes it is....I psed out the sig...here is the source
duck

and here is the google page with all his images.....google has made their image page really work well now and the search is more clear.

Attachments

• lijefors-mallard.gif
    lijefors-mallard.gif
    239.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I saw five different American Wood Warblers yesterday, along with a couple of indefinites. I also took a couple of photos. But when I got home it took me 15 minutes to figure out what this was, even though I knew it could only be one of the five or six I saw.

In any case I decided to do a quick watercolor based on the photo, showing the brief clues that were available. I should add that the white on top of head faded into the background in the photo. And the butt was washed in buff, something I'd never noticed on the bird before.

Back later to comment on all the good work that's just gone up, and Tim's 200,000 thviewing, now long since surpassed.

Attachments

• blackAndWhiteWC082010.jpg
    blackAndWhiteWC082010.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 51
No creativity involved Colleen. This is just the pose that was in the photo. Believe me it was much harder than you might guess from this to figure out it was a Black and White Warbler. I think I did it just because this is how you often seen wood warblers, just a brief view in which you have to use a few clues to figure out what you've seen. I think that's why I have such a hard time doing field sketches of wood warblers. You're often too busy trying to see and figure out what's in front of you to have time to sketch. This might not be true if I lived further north where they breed.

That's what I call 'the ars* shot'! I've got loads of bird butts in my collection (no funny remarks please...)

Right on target!

Mike

Long time since I've done one of these but I fancied a go this morning so along came this wheatear.

Mike

Attachments

• wheatear-flash.jpg
    wheatear-flash.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back