• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Discolouration and rusty hinges on Zeiss SF (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi!

I returned from an outing to the Tana/Tanojoki river delta over the weekend and discovered that I had got rust on the hinges on my SF! The weather was splendid without a drop of rain, and the only thing I have done to them is to rinse them under (clean) water to remove some dirt and dust.

I see there is a part of the hinge of the SF that exposes its shiny metal inner workings to the elements. I thought such binocular hinges were supposed to be made of magnesium, or at least stainless steel or some other material that shouldn't rust so easily? I find this quite weird, especially for a binocular that purports to be waterproof...

Question is: could this rust be dangerous to the binocular, or is it just surface rust that I don't have to worry about?

I also attached a couple of pictures of the discolouration on the binocular armour, which has been reported by several other SF users, but which has been the object of some contention on this forum.

HN

Attachments

• DSCF5537.JPG
    DSCF5537.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCF5538.JPG
    DSCF5538.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCF5539.JPG
    DSCF5539.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCF5540.JPG
    DSCF5540.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 275
Looks like a steel washer in between the non-ferrous cast bridge members.

Its not actually the bridge that is coloured.

Lee

Last edited:
Looks like a stainless shim or washer thats rusting. Stainless steels should be more accurately called stain resistant. It's surface and I wouldnt worry too much, but if it bothers you it is a cosmetic issue.

Interesting, I can see the discoloration on the barrels of this one.

Good to hear it's only surface rust. Maybe I should I take it to the nearest garage to have it rust proofed? :-O

HN

Looks like a stainless shim or washer thats rusting. Stainless steels should be more accurately called stain resistant. It's surface and I wouldnt worry too much, but if it bothers you it is a cosmetic issue.

Interesting, I can see the discoloration on the barrels of this one.

But why would Zeiss choose to make the hinge in this way? Why haven't they covered up this part of the hinge like they have the other parts? Looks weird to me, but there is probably a good reason for it...

HN

But why would Zeiss choose to make the hinge in this way? Why haven't they covered up this part of the hinge like they have the other parts? Looks weird to me, but there is probably a good reason for it...

HN

If it's a thrust washer you are seeing that is pretty common. Just a bearing surface.

Why it's made of something that might suffer from corrosion is probably more complicated. I dont know how two magnesium surfaces act when they slide against each other. and I seem to recall magnesium being susceptible to seawater corrosion, so if thats the case a thrust washer between them may enable them to work even after they should become corroded. I seem to recall this from the magnesium Shimano fishing reels.

Edited to add, it could also be to address a galvanic issue.

Last edited:
So much for "third time's the charm!" Go back to that close up image of the front hinge on your first pair that cracked and see if it also had a corroded washer.

I don't understand why Zeiss couldn't have used a stainless steel washer. Its not like Dobler didn't deal with front hinges with the EL. Apparently, as an early adopter, you get to be the guinea pig, which beats being the "canary in the cage." :smoke:

Contact Zeiss and let them know what happened.

Two hours later....

Hägar: Hallo, Zeiss? This is Hägar, yeah, that Hägar. The third sample SF you sent me has a corroded thrust washer, whatever that is.

Hans @ Zeiss: (covering the receiver with his hand and leaning over to Franz) Pssst! It's that crazy Norwegian, again. Now he's saying his new SF is rusting.

Franz @ Zeiss: He probably spilled that homemade rot gut Norwegians call beer on it. It could take the paint off a Ferrari.

Hans @ Zeiss: So what should I tell him?

Franz @ Zeiss: Tell him to use some WD-40 to remove the rust and to stop spilling homemade beer on his binoculars, it's corrosive and it voids the warranty.

Hägar's beer

<B>

My bet if I were a gambling man is that what is called rust is not that at all but rather the oxidation of some kind of lubricant, not of some metal with iron content. Zeiss engineers are too sophisticated to put any metal that would rust anywhere in their binoculars, externally or internally. That's my opinion and I'll stick with it until a competent metallurgist proves over wise. Have you tried to place a small magnet near the hinge to verify the conclusion of rust?

HighNorth is on a crusade to put Zeiss out of business. I am guessing they will stop exporting to Norway.

Zeiss might want to insert an addendum to the warranty which says "This warranty is null and void if used within the Arctic Circle or in Antartica"

Last edited:
Stainless steel rusting ? Very interesting. It shouldn't be "the oxidation of some kind of lubricant" or I have no idea of what lubricant Zeiss was using. At least even my Chinese bins do not have similar instance.

For the discoloration, could it be the color of the armor ? I have 2 Brunton Epoch, 7.5x43 & 8x21 in grey color. Both developed some stains (Not yellowish but darker grey).

My post in #11 may be without any validity at all because I don't know the composition of the washer(s) (assuming there are washers) used in the hinges nor do I know what the composition of the frame alloy is.

My experience with SS stuff was with boats and SS attachments (cleats, etc.) and that an absence of oxygen could cause some rusting on the bearing surfaces which was superficial. It depends on the chromium content of the SS attachments It showed up as a rust colored stain on the edges but did not affect the strength of the attachments that I could see. Neoprene or nylon washers beneath the fitting would stop the staining from occurring. But again what metals are being used in the frame and the hinge connection? I believe I have already revealed enough ignorance on this topic and need to stop.

HighNorth is on a crusade to put Zeiss out of business. I am guessing they will stop exporting to Norway.

Zeiss might want to insert an addendum to the warranty which says "This warranty is null and void if used within the Arctic Circle or in Antartica"

On the contrary, I am kind enough to do their product testing for them, and pay for it too! ;)

It is quite clear that the SF (Suomi Finland) Zeiss was swallowed by a seal in the Tanajoki. But he didn't like the taste and spat it out leaving it discoloured and tarnished.

Usually they prefer a diet of Swarovski, which is why Swarovski have the seal of approval.

Whatever you do, don't lend the binocular to Jonah.

Swarovski's hinges have no visible washers at all and work just fine. No idea what's going on with this one.

I have to say, close-up that SF front hinge looks a little...rough. An SV hinge looks like a work of art in comparison.

Mark

So much for "third time's the charm!" Go back to that close up image of the front hinge on your first pair that cracked and see if it also had a corroded washer.

I don't understand why Zeiss couldn't have used a stainless steel washer. Its not like Dobler didn't deal with front hinges with the EL. Apparently, as an early adopter, you get to be the guinea pig, which beats being the "canary in the cage." :smoke:

Contact Zeiss and let them know what happened.

Two hours later....

Hägar: Hallo, Zeiss? This is Hägar, yeah, that Hägar. The third sample SF you sent me has a corroded thrust washer, whatever that is.

Hans @ Zeiss: (covering the receiver with his hand and leaning over to Franz) Pssst! It's that crazy Norwegian, again. Now he's saying his new SF is rusting.

Franz @ Zeiss: He probably spilled that homemade rot gut Norwegians call beer on it. It could take the paint off a Ferrari.

Hans @ Zeiss: So what should I tell him?

Franz @ Zeiss: Tell him to use some WD-40 to remove the rust and to stop spilling homemade beer on his binoculars, it's corrosive and it voids the warranty.

Hägar's beer

<B>
Funny. That made me chuckle. Thanks for the laugh Brock.

Last edited:

This is a hilarious thread. Funny. I'm still laughing. You can definitely see the rust on the hinge and the stain on the binocular body. Nice pictures High North.

Last edited:
It is quite clear that the SF (Suomi Finland) Zeiss was swallowed by a seal in the Tanajoki. But he didn't like the taste and spat it out leaving it discoloured and tarnished.

Usually they prefer a diet of Swarovski, which is why Swarovski have the seal of approval.

Whatever you do, don't lend the binocular to Jonah.
HaHa! Great. You guys are comedians.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back