• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Open Letter To Stephen Ingraham (1 Viewer)

EL Bridge "Hole" Rebuttal

In an EL binocular the bridge is not waterproof, although the optical cells are. When it is submerged, hydrostatic pressure will force water into the bridge chamber through narrow openings, and expel the air. Once removed from the water there is no escape route for the water unless one is provided. Hence, a vent* is engineered to let water out rather than have it remain trapped and cause corrosion. This is an example of competent engineering, and, contrary to what has been stated, it would be a serious engineering oversight if no vent were provided. I'm sure everyone is familiar with them.

* Vent: noun. An opening that allows air, gas, or liquid to pass out of or into a confined space.

Blue skies,
Ed

Last edited:
Harsh and to some extent unjustified critics here that I don't want to comment.

I quite agree.

But one thing is certainly true: even the best Zeiss these days (and I very much like my 8x42 FL) are nowhere near to be considered collectors pieces. They simply don't exude that aura.

Again, I agree. Very functional but not exactly neck jewellery. (No slight intended on other excellent products.)

I still have not seen a single 8x32, 10x32, 8x42 or 10x42 FL that has equal center-resolution to ANY of the 30 pairs of Trinovids I have compared them to. I can't say for certain if this is the result of a design flaw or simply excessively lax manufacturing tolerances, but it is very disappointing. The Zeiss FL utilizes superb glass and prisms - but I can't help but conclude that their assembly standards are sub-par when compared to Leica, Swarovski, and Nikon - and, for that matter, the Zeiss of 15+ years ago.

Angelo,

I'll offer you a bit of backup here. Although, unlike what you are saying, I have seen some Zeiss FL's that do have center-resolution (at least in one barrel) that is equal to or better than the best I have measured in any other make or model of equal objective diameter, many of the ones I have either resolution-tested or star-tested (or both) have exhibited sub-par resolution for a binocular of this class. Furthermore, star-test patterns in these units have rather often indicated miscollimation of elements within a barrel and/or astigmatism, both of which are likely caused by assembly defects, as you suggest. The very low levels of CA that the Zeiss design allows does seem to help by allowing the image to appear surprisingly good even in the samples that suffer from excessive astigmatism or miscollimation, but the difference between these samples and ones that are closer to being precisely aligned is rather clear to my eye.

So, your criticism may be harsh, but based on my own experience I cannot call it unjustified.

Kimmo

Angelo,

I'll offer you a bit of backup here. Although, unlike what you are saying, I have seen some Zeiss FL's that do have center-resolution (at least in one barrel) that is equal to or better than the best I have measured in any other make or model of equal objective diameter, many of the ones I have either resolution-tested or star-tested (or both) have exhibited sub-par resolution for a binocular of this class. Furthermore, star-test patterns in these units have rather often indicated miscollimation of elements within a barrel and/or astigmatism, both of which are likely caused by assembly defects, as you suggest. The very low levels of CA that the Zeiss design allows does seem to help by allowing the image to appear surprisingly good even in the samples that suffer from excessive astigmatism or miscollimation, but the difference between these samples and ones that are closer to being precisely aligned is rather clear to my eye.

So, your criticism may be harsh, but based on my own experience I cannot call it unjustified.

Kimmo

Thank you, Kimmo. I very much appreciate the support of such a respected source. I have been a photographer for 30 years, so I've seen more than my fair share of both great and poor optics over the years. I have spent most of those same 30 years testing camera optics for many of the same favorable and unfavorable characteristics we look for in binocular optics. Poorly aligned optical elements and rather extreme sample variations are hallmarks of sloppy assembly and poor quality control oversight - not what I have come to expect from Zeiss optical products. I own several Zeiss ZF camera lenses for my Nikon camera because of their exquisite design and build quality (in Japan no less) - if only this could be said of Zeiss' binoculars.

OK....

Here goes; when I had my 7x42 FL's for three months I dropped them on a linoleum floor in my home, by accident of course ( not for a testing of the ruggedness ). Left objective rim is dented. I say it again: left objective rim is dented.
Optics are OK.
Ergo: GFRP is good, metal is bad.

For comparison: a friend of mine with whom I was out birding in Senegal in 1984 left his Zeiss Classics 10x40 on the bonnet of the Landrover, behind the spare tyre, and forgot about them. After a couple of miles he remembered with shock where he had left his bins and stopped the car. They were gone.
We drove back and found them lying on the asphalt. He picked them up and examined them. Apart from scratches on the armouring they were undamaged and the optics were unharmed, no misalignment had occurred. I witnessed this and thought to myself that someday when I could afford it, I would get myself some Zeiss bins.

Now I have them and see what happens. If it weren't for the outstanding optics I'm completely overwhelmed with, I would not consider buying another FL until they make the whole thing out of GFRP.

Hope I made my point here.

Greetings, Ronald

That's quite the test for a bino falling off the car like that...yikes!

I have to say that this isn't really the best example of comparing the specific strength of two different bins through two completely unrelated accidents. The Zeiss may have fallen at the worst possible angle to incur the damage that it did. Although the car story on the surface sounds terrible they may have landed againt a part of the bino that was more resistant to deformation. Definately a good testimony to the durability of the classic, but not that comparible IMO. |=)|

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add my two cents, as I am intrigued by the psychological aspects of the "subjective quality" feel that some people mention when comparing the FL to leica, swaro etc. I'm no optics expert but I'm a very happy FL 8x32 owner and I compared the zeiss to the other top brands before buying. Where my perspective differs from others is that whereas I completely understand the sentiment that materials and quality of construction give a tactile quality to an instrument that can make it more pleasing to own and use, I don't personally find that the FL compares unfavourably to the other brands in this respect. I say this as someone who can't face making the move to digital photography because I am too attached to my 25 year old Olympus OM4 and all of the digital SLRs I have looked at just seem horribly cheap and nasty in comparison! To me the FL feels like a top quality instrument in spite of the fact that some parts are made of fiberglass/thermoplastic. The latter is actually a pleasant and reassuringly solid-feeling material, completely unlike the cheap plastics that many digi slrs seem to be made out of. OK, the leica has a nice metal feel/look to it, but for me it immediately lost out in comparison to the zeiss in terms of the feel in actual use, particularly the all-important focussing which is so wonderfully smooth and precise in the zeiss and (for me) so awkward in the leica. OK, the click-stops in the eyepiece adjustment could perhaps feel more positive and the diopter adjustment is a little tricky, but unlike the focussing these are not things you are using on a continuous basis. As a spectacles wearer I actually never use either and always have the diopter adjustment centered, so admittedly I am biased! The FL fits my hands perfectly and to me has a solidity and feel in use that speaks of a top quality precision instrument.

I think neeb really stated this well although I don't have any issue with the eyecups. I really believe that the FL is constructed much better than people are giving it credit for. Don't get me wrong because I'm a die hard Swarovski fan and I even love the Ultravid except for the focus issues. I didn't care for the FL until I started handling it. The more I handled it the more I liked it. Now that I've owned the 7x42FL for a short time and currently own the 8x42FL I've very impressed with it! The focus mechanism is in a league of it's own. It's very fast, but it's also butter smooth and ultra-precise. I really consider myself fairly critical of poorly designed optics and cameras and I can't find any major shortcoming with the FL. I believe that many of the stated shortcomings associated with the FL are more "perceived" than actual shortcomings. I can't speak out of personal experience with the 10x42 but the 7s and 8s are fantastic, precise instruments with cutting edge construction materials.

Last edited:
I think neeb really stated this well although I don't have any issue with the eyecups. I really believe that the FL is constructed much better than people are giving it credit for. Don't get me wrong because I'm a die hard Swarovski fan and I even love the Ultravid except for the focus issues. I didn't care for the FL until I started handling it. The more I handled it the more I liked it. Now that I've owned the 7x42FL for a short time and currently own the 8x42FL I've very impressed with it! The focus mechanism is in a league of it's own. It's very fast, but it's also butter smooth and ultra-precise. I really consider myself fairly critical of poorly designed optics and cameras and I can't find any major shortcoming with the FL. I believe that many of the stated shortcomings associated with the FL are more "perceived" than actual shortcomings. I can't speak out of personal experience with the 10x42 but the 7s and 8s are fantastic, precise instruments with cutting edge construction materials.

I'm glad you like the 7xFL as much as I do.
However, I can use the diopter only in its " Grand Canyon "- position, that is the zero diopter click stop, because elsewhere it tends to slip into unwanted settings. Not good. But unlike others I'm very happy with this one formidable clickstop because I know it will stay put so I don't have to check all the time.
For once, I'm actually happy that I wear specs so the diopter can be ignored.
To control my lazy right eye I turn the right eyecup up 1 clickstop position and keep the left eyecup all-in; this minimal difference in height results in better holding against my ( new ) specs, right eyepiece only touching the glass, more relaxed viewing and no blackouts whatsoever. The difference in eyerelief between left and right eye seems to be essential for me. Funny I haven't read anything on BinocularForum about DIFFERENT eyecup settings in one single pair of binocular.
Anyway, this saves me the burden of sending in my FL's for diopter repair and it keeps me birding with a smile. I fixed it. Olé!

Greetings, Ronald

from what i have seen Zeiss makes the brightest binoculars but swarovski and leica make the "best" binoculars....

Hmm...yeah, I know what you mean. I used to think the same thing but now that I'm able to use and compare them on a daily basis I don't feel that way anymore. Please know that I don't own any Ultravids because of the experiences that I've had at the retailers with focus mechanism issues, but have been able to use a friend's 10x50 several times. I do own 7x42BAs and used to own 10x50BAs which were and are very nice optics. Sometimes I'll have my entire optics pack with me and people will ask lots of questions. When start mounting optics on a tripod and people begin looking through the FLs they always comment about how sharp the 8x42FLs are. They also like to the hold the FLs even more than the ELs. Once someone gets them in hand they just keep holding them. I have to admit that the fit finish quality of the FL as grown on me and I really see the construction as very appealing. The tubes are actually smaller in diameter than my ELs and it feels trim, comfortable and has the feeling of high performance. Once I got out of the mindset of "light means cheap" then I really started reaching for the FLs more and more often. It's just like everything else these days...people want lighter and more ergonimic ourdooring gear and I think Zeiss really aimed for that market.

I have 10x42ELs, my Uncle bought the 8.5x42ELs upon my recommendation. After an hour of comparing his 8.5x42s to the FLs he was taken by complete surprise by the Zeiss. Although the ELs have the reputation for superb ergonomics my Uncle was very impressed while comparing them side by side. In the end he liked the extra half power of magnification from the 8.5s but admitted that it would be a toss up if it weren't for that. He said that he would strongly consider the FLs when it came time for him to purchase a 7x.

I know that there are many subjective points when it comes to optics, but I don't feel that the FLs are inferior...overall, in any way to the other two. They're just different IMO. Each of the top three manufacturers has it's own superior catagories and each will be the best at something. Cosidering that they're all waterproof and impact resistant it's saying alot when most everyone agrees that they provide a brighter image while many believe them to be sharpest on axis too. Being a Swarovski guy at heart, I just thought I'd share my opinion about them. |=)|

Last edited:
... but I don't feel that the FLs are inferior...overall, in any way to the other two. They're just different IMO.

Please see post #123 in this thread. While comfort and percieved quality are wholly subjective, such things as center resolution can be measured, and it is here that the Zeiss FL is measurably inferior - if not in all samples, at least in some - which ought to be a cause of great concern to such a proud and historic marque. I have simply not seen this same degree of sample variation in either Leica or Swarovski optics, or pre-FL Zeiss binoculars - after having tested several hundred samples. Many thousands of people cannot differentiate between the quality of a Chevrolet and a Mercedes, but that doesn't mean there isn't any - and most of that difference lies in assembly quality and choice of materials as well.

angelo225544 Many thousands of people cannot differentiate between the quality of a Chevrolet and a Mercedes, but that doesn't mean there isn't any - and most of that difference lies in assembly quality and choice of materials as well.

You're using the example of a Mercedes vs. a Chevrolet, when comparing alpha optics is really more like comparing the first place Formula One car to the second place Formula One car on a given race weekend. In one instance the FL may be superior and it might come in 2nd in another catagory. This gigantic differential picture that you're trying to paint simply doesn't exist.

I read post 123 upon your recommendation angelo but have to say that one person's or even a few people's experience is hardly a testimony to the entire FL line. I think there are as many positive experiences with the FL in this thread as there are there are negative. By the very nature of this particular thread you would expect the worse case horror stories to surface but it never really happens. Furthermore, I can find plenty of information where the FL is rated as the highest resolution binocular of any every tested. I'm really not convinced that there is more variation between FLs and the other companies top end models. My goodness look at the Ultravid focus mechansim lottery for example and the variation there. Many People don't have anything good to say about the 32mm ELs compared to the 42mm ELs.....and some of them can't stand the 10x42 EL but love the 8.5. I think that is has more to do with people and less to do with the actual product. I'm quite sure there are clear cut examples where a manufacturers bin isn't up to spec, but I believe those cases are the exception and not representative of the model as a whole.

Last edited:
You're using the example of a Mercedes vs. a Chevrolet, when comparing alpha optics is really more like comparing the first place Formula One car to the second place Formula One car on a given weekend. In one instance the FL may be superior and it might come in 2nd in another catagory. This gigantic differential picture that you're trying to paint simply doesn't exist.

I read post 123 upon your recommendation angelo but have to say that one person's or even a few people's experience is hardly a testimony to the entire FL line. I think there are as many positive experiences with the FL in this thread as there are there are negative. By the very nature of this particular thread you would expect the worse case horror stories to surface but it never really happens. Furthermore, I can find plenty of information where the FL is rated as the highest resolution binocular of any every tested. I'm really not convinced that there is more variation between FLs and the other companies top end models. My goodness look at the Ultravid focus mechansim lottery for example and the variation there. Many People don't have anything good to say about the 32mm ELs compared to the 42mm ELs.....and some of them can't stand the 10x42 EL but love the 8.5. I think that is has more to do with people and less to do with the actual product. I'm quite sure there are clear cut examples where I bin isn't up to spec, but I believe those cases are the exception and not representative of the model as a whole.

PATRIOT,

BINGO! A solid, intelligent response to the world!

Bill

Once again, thanks to all for your informed opinions. I think this has been an informative conversation that has stayed remarkably on-subject throughout.

Please see post #123 in this thread. While comfort and percieved quality are wholly subjective, such things as center resolution can be measured, and it is here that the Zeiss FL is measurably inferior - if not in all samples, at least in some - which ought to be a cause of great concern to such a proud and historic marque. I have simply not seen this same degree of sample variation in either Leica or Swarovski optics, or pre-FL Zeiss binoculars - after having tested several hundred samples. Many thousands of people cannot differentiate between the quality of a Chevrolet and a Mercedes, but that doesn't mean there isn't any - and most of that difference lies in assembly quality and choice of materials as well.
Every FL I've looked at had exceptional centerfield resolution and I'm not an FL fan.

The FL 8X32 delivers one of the best views I've seen in a binocular.

John

Every FL I've looked at had exceptional centerfield resolution and I'm not an FL fan.

The FL 8X32 delivers one of the best views I've seen in a binocular.

John

Hi, John. The observations I brought up in this thread are the result of side-by-side comparisons. Interestingly, so are Kimmo's observations the result of direct side-by-side comparison - and his, of course, in a more rigorously scientific environment than mine. My point here is that most of these differences will only be plainly visible when directly compared to a superior performer. I was pleased with the resolution of my 8x32 FL, until I compared it to several 8x32 Trinovids. Only then could I fully appreciate the shortcomings of the FL with regard to center resolution. A newspaper at a distance of 15 feet, easily read with the Trinovid, was obviously less well resolved by the 8x32 FL. I have repeated this test - and several others - many hundreds of times. My observations in these reasonably well controlled side-by-side direct comparisons are what I wanted to share here - FWIW. I have also concluded that, without something to compare results to, it is next to impossible to reach any meaningful conclusions. This is equally true with camera optics. Again and again, lenses that are legendary for superb optical performance have been easily surpassed by the successor model. We were perfectly pleased with the performance of "lens A" until "lens B" revealed it's shortcomings. I don't mean to imply that my observations are more valid than anyone elses, but rather this is an attempt to explain how I arrived at certain conclusions.

Hi, John. The observations I brought up in this thread are the result of side-by-side comparisons. Interestingly, so are Kimmo's observations the result of direct side-by-side comparison - and his, of course, in a more rigorously scientific environment than mine. My point here is that most of these differences will only be plainly visible when directly compared to a superior performer. I was pleased with the resolution of my 8x32 FL, until I compared it to several 8x32 Trinovids. Only then could I fully appreciate the shortcomings of the FL with regard to center resolution. A newspaper at a distance of 15 feet, easily read with the Trinovid, was obviously less well resolved by the 8x32 FL. I have repeated this test - and several others - many hundreds of times. My observations in these reasonably well controlled side-by-side direct comparisons are what I wanted to share here - FWIW. I have also concluded that, without something to compare results to, it is next to impossible to reach any meaningful conclusions. This is equally true with camera optics. Again and again, lenses that are legendary for superb optical performance have been easily surpassed by the successor model. We were perfectly pleased with the performance of "lens A" until "lens B" revealed it's shortcomings. I don't mean to imply that my observations are more valid than anyone elses, but rather this is an attempt to explain how I arrived at certain conclusions.
Angelo,

Admittedly, I have never owned an FL or used one for an extended period of time. I've looked at maybe a dozen samples since they were released and I was always impressed with the centerfield.

I suspect that when the Ultravid HD arrives the FL’s will lose some of their appeal. I also expect to see fluoride glass in Swarovski and Nikon products, which should add fuel to the debate!

John

Hi Angleo, it's me again. :hi:

I don't own any Zeiss or Leica bins, but maybe that qualifies me to comment in this discussion. What you said about side-by-side comparisons has a truthiness quality, but I'm not sure it's really valid. In this I tend to side with John.

The way I see it, all "resolution" tests involving a formal chart, or an informal newspaper, are at best aided visual resolution tests (technically, grating acuity). The resolution of the optics, at least the objective's, is imbedded in the aerial image hovering inside the binocular at its focal plane. For any well designed and manufactured instrument this resolution is considerably greater than what the eye needs, for this type of acuity testing, when it is normalized for the magnification of the instrument. Therein lies one rub: are the magnifications exactly equal? Pushed to the limit, it will make a difference even if the bins are tripod mounted, which in many cases they are not. Therein lies the second rub: vibration effects. The third rub lies in procedural effects, and in particular observer bias. I'll bet you two beers for a month of Sundays that Zeiss owners, on average, find their bins have equal or greater resolution —and Leica owners the opposite.

There are several reasons for the instrument to degrade, of course, and Kimmo mentioned some of them. He also mentioned that in at least one sample the optical resolution was as good as any he ever seen (or words to that effect). So, apart from quality control issues, which may be a valid complaint, is there any basis for saying that an FL or Ultravid is necessarily better at aiding the observer's visual acuity? When I consider the raft of other potential non-equivalences in side-by-side testing, including head/binocular coupling, side lighting, selective transmission, ambient lighting, color balance at the retina, etc. my conclusion is that's it's better not to draw conclusions about what's better. Note that I haven't said anything about human variability, which can interact with any combination of the above variables, so that what's best for one observer can be less than best for another.

To me the answer is to avoid side-by-side product comparisons for purposes of product advocacy, even though it seems to be common sense to make them. I agree, entirely, of course, that viewing comparisons are essential in order for the individual to make buyiing decisions and that includes within-model comparisions to assure one doesn't get a lemon.

Incidentally, IMO the comparison of camera lenses is entirely different in that one can compare prints or projections that are external to the eye.

Can we still have a beer? ;)

Ed

Last edited:
Hi Angleo, it's me again. :hi:

Can we still have a beer? ;)

Ed

Hi, Ed. The Guiness is on ice, you need only to call ahead, so I can chill the glasses. I absolutely agree that it is much easier to test camera lenses than binoculars, and I think this is precisely why these discussions continue to go on as they do - with no definitive conclusions. We cannot simply capture and display the results of a binocular test, as we routinely do with camera lenses. However, we can attempt to devise tests which isolate certain important properties such as center resolution. I have simply attempted to devise such a test, so that rather than depending upon a subjective opinion of sharpness, I can reach a repeatable conclusion. I don't claim to have devised a perfect test, but my results are both consistent and repeatable. In other words, if you, or anyone reading this, does the same test with the same binoculars, we can expect that you would reach the same, or similar conclusions.

I just noticed the direction this thread has taken in the last few days. I'm very hesitant to bash the quality control of a particular brand when I am unsure about whether its competition does much better. One bias in my experience is that I've been more interested in the recent Zeiss designs than others, so I've tested more Zeiss products than others. I have seen some defects in Nikon, Swarovski and Leica, but based on my greater personal experience with Zeiss I have to agree with Angelo and Kimmo that Zeiss QC is nothing to brag about, regardless of what the competition does. I've seen so many defective scopes and binocular barrels that I only recommend Zeiss products to local birders with the condition that they let me test the units they buy.

I should add that the kind of boosted magnification testing that Kimmo and I do is extremely sensitive and revealing of defects, some of which turn out to be quite invisible in the low magnification view through binoculars. The same amount of astigmatism or misalignment that ruins the view through a spotting scope at 60x may cause no visible degradation in an 8x binocular. This is especially true when binoculars are effectively stopped down in daylight. Obvious pinching or astigmatism visible at full aperture may not effect the center 30mm of a 42mm objective at all.

I also agree with Ed that Angelo's "resolution" test needs some refining. First off, I would suggest the use of a standard resolution target like the USAF 1951 Test Pattern, so that real measurements can be made. Reading text is not the same thing as making a measurement. If you want to measure the true resolution of a binocular you must boost the magnification by placing a small scope behind the eyepiece (one barrel of a small binocular will do fine). In my experience a binocular has to be pretty poor before a visible loss of detail will show up in normal use and then the problem may be collimation or diopter adjustment when both eyes are used (or field curvature or off-axis astigmatism at a short distance like 15'). Almost always a bad defect that effects resolution will be confined to only one barrel, so barrels should be evaluated separately.

Henry

Individual Optical Certification Needed

Henry et al,

Although I agree with you and Kimmo entirely about the benefits of image magnification to assess various optical faults, I must admit to being perplexed about knowing what constitutes a fault serious enough to reject/return/repair the optic. Along similar lines, I further admit to having become enormously aggravated that super high-end (i.e., extremely high priced) optics are not individually tested and certified for the owner. In fact, I do not intend to spend another dime (farthing?) on such optics until test results are provided — which probably will be a long time coming. Nonetheless, if "open letters" are being considered for high-end manufacturers, that's the one topic I would enthusiastically support.

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back