• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400 mk11 (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
I currently have a 300 f2.8 and am starting to find it a bit heavy and cumbersome to carry about so am thinking of getting a 100-400 lens, what are they like and is it any good with a 1.4 tc. Thanks Geoff

It's an excellent lens, very sharp and the AF is fast when used on it's own. Still produces a sharp image with the 1.4TC MK3 but AF is a bit slow for BIF. I just wish they had made the lens with an internal zoom as I dislike the fact the barrel pops out and makes it more likely to suck in dust.
You will miss the bokeh of the 300 f2.8 though.

I have both the 100-400 Mk2 and 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 and the 300 is the better lens IMO. Having said that the 300 is heavier, fatter and is a fixed 300. The 100-400 Mk2 is lighter, more versatile, closer focusing and a very nice lens. It is very much down to your personal needs.

My 100-400 Mk2 works quite well with my 1.4 Mk3 extender but my 300 F2.8 works just as well with my 2 x Mk3 extender and with the 1.4 Mk3 extender is at the very least equal to my 100-400 Mk2 bare.

Where I forsee a specific need I will take along my 300, when I am not certain (or are just "Wombling" about) then the 100-400 Mk2 is my lens of choice.

It shows how much Zoom lenses have improved when a 4 x zoom can compete with one of the best lenses going!

You would probably be very happy with the 100-400 Mk2 (I am) but check/try one or two out first as your 300 will take a lot to equal it. It is all a compromise, size/weight/versatility/AF etc etc.

I’ve got both 300 f2.8 and 100-400 v2 and the 400mm 5.6

All excellent lenses

For weight savings the 400mm 5.6 is still after 20 years a fast to focus detail rich lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back