Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birdingpal website - alive or not?

Old Thursday 30th January 2020, 10:06   #1
andrewins

Birdingpal website - alive or not?

Hello,

The birdingpal website was working in May 2019. Now it is not working but they've taken the annual price from my card for using the website. Does anybody know is it a temporary unavaliability or not?
Old Thursday 30th January 2020, 10:37   #2
bittern

Hi,

I just checked and I can access the site from here in Switzerland. I used to take out birders here but after over 12 years I "retired" from that activity myself.

Best of luck,

Mike
Old Thursday 30th January 2020, 10:47   #3
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Same here - seems to be working fine. I have been registered as a pal since it started but have not had anyone contact me for at least 15 years.

And I have never paid a subscription.

Steve
Old Thursday 30th January 2020, 10:59   #4
andrewins

Thank you!

I will try to visit this site with Tor browser. Probably it is a problem of my provider.
Old Thursday 30th January 2020, 11:05   #5
andrewins

The Tor browser opened it! Thanks a lot!
Old Friday 31st January 2020, 06:57   #6
bittern

I was also a member for about that length of time and in earlier days took out quite a lot of birders every year in the Geneva region and Alps. However latterly I found many problems with messages getting lost in both directions. I finally removed myself completely as I was getting finger pointed for not responding to messages. I think that the problem is in the software on the site that preserves anonymity until direct connection is established with a potential "client". For many years it worked well and I enjoyed many days out with visiting birders from all over the world.

Mike
Old Friday 7th February 2020, 12:05   #7
andrewins

I was trying to find guides for different regions of Indonesia, but none responded from Birdingpal this time.
Old Saturday 8th February 2020, 16:38   #8
Dave Williams

Maybe there could be a "birding pal" feature on this website?
Must admit I only used the Birdingpal website once and ended up paying $180 for the day and buying the guy lunch!! So much for covering expenses. He also told me he could make up his paid job by working at home that evening.
Old Sunday 9th February 2020, 04:26   #9
andrewins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
Maybe there could be a "birding pal" feature on this website?
Must admit I only used the Birdingpal website once and ended up paying $180 for the day and buying the guy lunch!! So much for covering expenses. He also told me he could make up his paid job by working at home that evening.

Good idea!
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 07:34   #10
Jose Ramon

I strongly support the idea !

We could share information about guides like telephones, emails, ... and our experience with them, if they are reliable, their kwoledge, ....

Sometimes I post information about guides that I had in different tours and I would be very happy to share even more information.
Old Monday 17th February 2020, 18:40   #11
BruceBerman

After a few minor disasters with guides who were actually "nature guides" but not specifically birding guides in Costa Rica, I'd definitely be interested in something like this on the forum.
Old Tuesday 18th February 2020, 12:19   #12
pete wragg

A possible alternative is "birding gurus" an online directory of worldwide bird guides

https://www.birdinggurus.com/
Old Tuesday 18th February 2020, 12:49   #13
Jose Ramon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete wragg View Post
A possible alternative is "birding gurus" an online directory of worldwide bird guides

Thanks, Pete

I have been checking this website and they provide a limited amount of information.

I cannot find any of the guides that guided me in the past.

And, in my opinion, a list of guides is something important to have but it is even more important to have a feedback bout them from other birders.

As, I guess, everybody, we had good, acceptable and no so acceptable guides in our previous tours.

Most of them, despite their quality as a guide, were completely honest and tried to do their best to find the birds for you.

But in a few cases they were not so honest. They tried to get more money from you or they did not fulfilled what was agreed.

So, an open forum like birdforum is the best place to share this kind of information.

Regards,
Old Sunday 23rd February 2020, 16:24   #14
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

I had begun writing a long and elaborate response to this thread, but I accidentally deleted it so I will only say that I thoroughly support Dave's idea. There was a similar thread a few years ago, with the same proposal here.

We have been BirdingPal members for about 15 years, and have guided lots of foreign birders and been guided by Pals in other countries, usually keeping in touch afterwards and never asking or being asked for money. Nothing beats local birders when you are looking for up to date info and having company is a plus when you are spending those long hours in the field looking for something to materialise.

The reason why less people are using BP now is that you have to pay to use their contact form, so I would really welcome a similar scheme on BF. It would have to be voluntary and not for profit (although a separate list for professional guides would also be useful). It could be a simple list of names to PM in a "sticky" thread at the top of each single country forum.

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th March 2020, 10:55   #15
bittern

That sounds like an excellent idea for when, hopefully, we can all start watching birds again.

Best wishes to you all,

Mike
Old Friday 3rd April 2020, 08:25   #16
Andy Bright
Administrator
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Italianbirders View Post

The reason why less people are using BP now is that you have to pay to use their contact form, so I would really welcome a similar scheme on BF. It would have to be voluntary and not for profit (although a separate list for professional guides would also be useful). It could be a simple list of names to PM in a "sticky" thread at the top of each single country forum.
We could certainly do that

cheers,
Andy

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd April 2020, 10:30   #17
Deb Burhinus

I’ve tried to use BP 10-15 times over the years but then gave it up and didnt renew my membership after several bad experiences vis a vis 3 replies, 1 not available and 2 that I used which charged me full on professional fees (after agreeing and showing me an itinerary!) but also failed to deliver adequately in the field for various reasons. I think a BF scheme is an excellent idea (maybe we could throw in a BF member list of free AirBnB too in exchange for fair gratuity?)
http://www.osme.org
Old Friday 3rd April 2020, 17:18   #18
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

If needed, I volunteer to help, collecting names etc. I think that profiles should include: languages spoken, daily availability (every day, afternoons, weekends only etc), brief info about the area with key species, and also, something which wasn't included in the BP profiles and which I think is very important: if one is willing to meet for a birding "session" (for FREE!!!) or just to provide site information in writing.

It remains to be seen what is the best way to organise such a "service": a dedicated forum or, as I suggested above a "sticky" in each country's forum. A separate list for professional guides, tried and tested by BF members could also be an idea. But of course it's uf the BF staff to decide what's the best way forward.

Old Monday 6th April 2020, 14:17   #19
temmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete wragg View Post

this seems like an excellent start!

I see many big names and well-known guides so obviously this has been picked up quite rapidly. With a site like this I feel the 'professional' side of birdingpal would be unnecessary.

I tend to find the 'right' guides (and information preparing trips) through my birding network at facebook these days.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th April 2020, 14:26   #20
Andy Bright
Administrator
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Italianbirders View Post
If needed, I volunteer to help, collecting names etc. I think that profiles should include: languages spoken, daily availability (every day, afternoons, weekends only etc), brief info about the area with key species, and also, something which wasn't included in the BP profiles and which I think is very important: if one is willing to meet for a birding "session" (for FREE!!!) or just to provide site information in writing.

It remains to be seen what is the best way to organise such a "service": a dedicated forum or, as I suggested above a "sticky" in each country's forum. A separate list for professional guides, tried and tested by BF members could also be an idea. But of course it's uf the BF staff to decide what's the best way forward.
We are happy to "sticky" any thread you create, although as a member you would not be able to edit the thread beyond 24hrs of it's creation. However, follow up posts/replies with details could be made and the details put in the original post by BF moderators or admin. A BF member's username could be hyperlinked to their profile for contact purposes.
cheers,
Andy

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th April 2020, 16:13   #21
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

But how would we start "recruiting" volunteers to be included in the various country lists?

Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 19:05   #22
Hamhed

I noticed this thread fairly late. As a Birding Pal member for over ten years, I hope to see this type of contact with other birders arranged here on Birdforum, maybe not so much to replace it but as an alternative.

The biggest problem I've encountered in the past is not with the Birding Pal site but with the lack of response from those listed on the Birding Pal site. That list is probably not updated as birders drop out. I hate to think the birders I've contacted are that rude not to take the time to say "I'm not available".

I would think the Birding Pal list was created over time. This website would have a head start with the contact with so many birders already. Is there a way to give notice to all members that this is in the works?

Many of us members have likely already met and exchanged guiding services. I met Niels Larsen, a forum moderator, through Birdforum and we have since hosted each other at our respective houses, in North Carolina and Dominica. That worked well, though I speak for myself. Niels and Lene may have a different view! Hopefully not...

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 19:16   #23
Maroon Jay
Airborne

Guides (paid or free) can be listed on Birdtripper.com

BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014 2015 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 08:38   #24
annewilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewins View Post
Hello,

The birdingpal website was working in May 2019. Now it is not working but they've taken the annual price from my card for using the website. Does anybody know is it a temporary unavaliability or not?
have you tried reaching out to them? try sending them an email [email protected]
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: