Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bartley reservoir

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 20:55   #201
the Harborne Flyer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: ,Harborne,Birmingham
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs JC View Post
Please explain?
Both of these species breed in the West Mids region but are very localised; nightjar breed on Cannock Chase and perhaps near Newcastle under Lyme ; nightingale in England is on the edge of its European range and is just clinging on by its fingertips in the southern part of Warwickshire ( only 2 records in 2017 as per WMBC Annual Report) and 15 pairs at 6 sites in south Worcs in 2017.

Both are rarely seen on passage away from breeding sites and in the case of nightingales recorders usually count singing males ,such is their skulking nature . Many nightjar will have already arrived in the UK but there may be some still migrating through so you may have seen one, but to see both species in the same wood on the same day is statistically improbable.

Nightingale's range is contracting to the east and south-east of England with the most northerly birds on the Notts/ Lincs/ Sth Yorkshire border near to Doncaster. The numbers are also declining and deer are being cited as the main cause due their habit of grazing the lower branches of coppiced trees, the domain of the nightingale where it feeds, nests and sings to establish a territory,
Hope this clarifies things.
the Harborne Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 05:29   #202
rollingthunder
Registered User
 
rollingthunder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: stourbridge west midlands
Posts: 4,756
There does still appear to to be migrant species still arriving due to the blocking high pressure that has been dominating the UK for the last 6 weeks. There is certainly suitable habitat for displaying passage migrants here in the Midlands - i will be checking recently cleared Conifers locally as there is little disturbance from dog-walkers unlike the established well-known lowland heath areas.

Nightingale could be mistaken for Garden Warbler to the inexperienced eye. The days of this species singing and breeding e.g. the 80’s appear to be over at present. Unlike on the Continent (West) where every bit of scrub seems to hold them here in the UK, on their peripheral range, coppice management appears to be a factor. I check the Woodland Trust reserve of Pepper Wood locally as this is a specific ‘coppice with standards’ c/w anti-Deer fencing to allow regrowth. The last singing Nightjar i heard around here was at Hurcott Wood, Kidderminster, about a decade ago. The habitat there is now much better for this and Cetti’s that i found singing a coupla years ago. I read somewhere that range expansion by Marsh Warbler in Central/Northern France meant earlier-arriving males were responsible for a possible decline in the tiny UK population - perhaps a similar scenario is happening with populations of Nightingales outside of their South-East Hazel copse comfort zone?

Good birding -

Laurie
__________________
Chance favours the prepared mind

Last edited by rollingthunder : Monday 25th May 2020 at 05:31.
rollingthunder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 06:55   #203
the Harborne Flyer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: ,Harborne,Birmingham
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
There does still appear to to be migrant species still arriving due to the blocking high pressure that has been dominating the UK for the last 6 weeks. There is certainly suitable habitat for displaying passage migrants here in the Midlands - i will be checking recently cleared Conifers locally as there is little disturbance from dog-walkers unlike the established well-known lowland heath areas.

Nightingale could be mistaken for Garden Warbler to the inexperienced eye. The days of this species singing and breeding e.g. the 80’s appear to be over at present. Unlike on the Continent (West) where every bit of scrub seems to hold them here in the UK, on their peripheral range, coppice management appears to be a factor. I check the Woodland Trust reserve of Pepper Wood locally as this is a specific ‘coppice with standards’ c/w anti-Deer fencing to allow regrowth. The last singing Nightjar i heard around here was at Hurcott Wood, Kidderminster, about a decade ago. The habitat there is now much better for this and Cetti’s that i found singing a coupla years ago. I read somewhere that range expansion by Marsh Warbler in Central/Northern France meant earlier-arriving males were responsible for a possible decline in the tiny UK population - perhaps a similar scenario is happening with populations of Nightingales outside of their South-East Hazel copse comfort zone?

Good birding -

Laurie
Garden warbler sounds a pretty good bet for the bird seen by Mrs JC.
the Harborne Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 11:49   #204
Mrs JC
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 15
Thank you for the informative replies both.
Much appreciated.
I’m certain it was a nightjar, the noise it made was very unusual and easy to identify. Not many birds that size and shape. I went back at dusk and later on after dark hoping to hear something but it must have already moved on.

Yes I did look at the garden warbler, that seemed to have more markings than what I saw, not many photos online either so hard to tell. It looked like it had just two colours, light on breast and tawny to almost copper brown on head back and wings. It was clinging on to a plant and looked long and slender for its size. I’m sure with more experience it will become easier to be sure. I saw it at the far side of res, where Scotland Lane meets Church Hill. There is a gap in the bushes that leads to a path that follows the edge of the res, it’s very dense with lots of brambles. Takes you through a few bushes(where I spotted the deer) and a farmers field, then on to a further grassy area, ending at Genners Lane. Lots of activity along there. Will be going back when my binoculars arrive ��
Mrs JC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 12:12   #205
Mrs JC
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 15
Tried some farmland this morning, off Scotland lane. Walked up through 3 fields, as far as the housing estate.

Skylark

Femal phesant
Male phesant
Goldfinches
Lots of sparrows
Mrs JC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th May 2020, 16:03   #206
the Harborne Flyer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: ,Harborne,Birmingham
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs JC View Post
Thank you for the informative replies both.
Much appreciated.
I’m certain it was a nightjar, the noise it made was very unusual and easy to identify. Not many birds that size and shape. I went back at dusk and later on after dark hoping to hear something but it must have already moved on.

Yes I did look at the garden warbler, that seemed to have more markings than what I saw, not many photos online either so hard to tell. It looked like it had just two colours, light on breast and tawny to almost copper brown on head back and wings. It was clinging on to a plant and looked long and slender for its size. I’m sure with more experience it will become easier to be sure. I saw it at the far side of res, where Scotland Lane meets Church Hill. There is a gap in the bushes that leads to a path that follows the edge of the res, it’s very dense with lots of brambles. Takes you through a few bushes(where I spotted the deer) and a farmers field, then on to a further grassy area, ending at Genners Lane. Lots of activity along there. Will be going back when my binoculars arrive ��
If this bird has copper-coloured wings it may be a common whitethroat, which is also "long and slender".
the Harborne Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 28th May 2020, 08:55   #207
luckyosprey4
Registered User
 
luckyosprey4's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Halesowen
Posts: 273
It really does come to something when you have casually watched a Midlands site like Bartley for a few years and you see Whooper Swan before Mute. Thankfully 3 Mute dropped in this morning and filled a gaping hole in my list for the reservoir. Also 2 Grey Wagtail were along the shoreline and a solitary pair of Tufted Duck were on the water. Canada Goose and Mallard both have broods.

Chris
luckyosprey4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 28th May 2020, 18:49   #208
the Harborne Flyer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: ,Harborne,Birmingham
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyosprey4 View Post
It really does come to something when you have casually watched a Midlands site like Bartley for a few years and you see Whooper Swan before Mute. Thankfully 3 Mute dropped in this morning and filled a gaping hole in my list for the reservoir. Also 2 Grey Wagtail were along the shoreline and a solitary pair of Tufted Duck were on the water. Canada Goose and Mallard both have broods.

Chris
very true, mute swans are n't common at Bartley. A few weeks ago there was a pair of shoveler, another irregular bird
the Harborne Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 29th May 2020, 08:39   #209
luckyosprey4
Registered User
 
luckyosprey4's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Halesowen
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Harborne Flyer View Post
very true, mute swans are n't common at Bartley. A few weeks ago there was a pair of shoveler, another irregular bird
Yes I've still not caught up with shoveler at the res but had my first teal a while back. A single lapwing was along the shoreline this morning which was good to see and only my third wader here after common sand and redshank.

Chris
luckyosprey4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 29th May 2020, 17:29   #210
the Harborne Flyer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: ,Harborne,Birmingham
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyosprey4 View Post
Yes I've still not caught up with shoveler at the res but had my first teal a while back. A single lapwing was along the shoreline this morning which was good to see and only my third wader here after common sand and redshank.

Chris
This spring avocet ,green and common sand, LRP, oystercatcher and sanderling have all put in an appearance at Bartley but waders don't tend to stop long here.
the Harborne Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 19:08   #211
the Harborne Flyer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: ,Harborne,Birmingham
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Harborne Flyer View Post
This spring avocet ,green and common sand, LRP, oystercatcher and sanderling have all put in an appearance at Bartley but waders don't tend to stop long here.
2 dunlin today at Bartley Res on the east side viewed from the dam, so still waders migrating through.
the Harborne Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 08:57   #212
luckyosprey4
Registered User
 
luckyosprey4's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Halesowen
Posts: 273
Arrived at 7.50 this morning and found 5 drake Common Scoter out in the centre of the reservoir. At first they looked quite flighty but they were still.present before I left at 9.10 they had begun diving but probably finding very little.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200610-WA0001.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	729486  
luckyosprey4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 09:01   #213
rollingthunder
Registered User
 
rollingthunder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: stourbridge west midlands
Posts: 4,756
And a nice find

Could do with one, or more, of the blighters a bit closer to home

Good birding -

Laurie
__________________
Chance favours the prepared mind
rollingthunder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 17:29   #214
luckyosprey4
Registered User
 
luckyosprey4's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Halesowen
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
And a nice find

Could do with one, or more, of the blighters a bit closer to home

Good birding -

Laurie
Thanks Laurie and well done on the Long-Tailed Duck- these birds are the reason we visit relatively less productive sites, and personally the satisfaction is greater in finding one's own scarcities at a less-watched location

Chris
luckyosprey4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 06:39   #215
rollingthunder
Registered User
 
rollingthunder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: stourbridge west midlands
Posts: 4,756
Nail > Head > Hit

Laurie
__________________
Chance favours the prepared mind
rollingthunder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 13th June 2020, 13:18   #216
luckyosprey4
Registered User
 
luckyosprey4's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Halesowen
Posts: 273
After the 5 Common Scoter on Wednesday, a single drake has been present since Thursday and the bird remained in the centre of the reservoir this morning, diving regularly.

Chris
luckyosprey4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 7th July 2020, 08:31   #217
luckyosprey4
Registered User
 
luckyosprey4's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Halesowen
Posts: 273
Some movement was evident at Bartley this morning, with the main highlight being a single Common Sandpiper along the far shoreline. Tufted Duck, having numbered on average between 7 and 10 birds recently, have risen to 27. Black-Headed Gull have steadily increased since singles at the end of June and today there were 33 birds including 7 juveniles. A pair of adult Goldfinch with their two young was also good to see.

Chris
luckyosprey4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bartley midlands birder West Midlands 0 Saturday 4th February 2012 17:41
Quite a day at the reservoir! Fozzybear Birds & Birding 22 Thursday 15th April 2010 18:02
abberton reservoir vs hanningfield reservoir silvercrest Birds & Birding 12 Sunday 10th May 2009 22:04
Grey Phalarpe-Blithfield Reservoir & Shustoke Reservoir-Help please? Jeremy Gloucestershire Your Birding Day 8 Monday 1st October 2007 22:52
Bartley Reservoir andythomas West Midlands 0 Friday 19th September 2003 09:23



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21396995 seconds with 32 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04.