Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Fen's Pool Nr

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 2nd June 2020, 13:40   #226
rollingthunder

Paul Legge constantly sings your praises
Old Monday 8th June 2020, 08:00   #227
rollingthunder

Just to bring this thread up to date for those who might not check any others.....

A Long-tailed Duck was present on the mud at the Middle Pool ca8am ystda. I watched it for a couple of mins before it flew off with a couple of Mallard. I relocated it on nearby Footshole Pool and watched it feeding until 9am.

This is my 4th sighting at 3 locations in a week - i will look at some photos and decide how many individuals *I* think are involved. I will check later today at both sites to see whether it is still present.

Good Birding -

Laurie

Oh - Todd had a male Shoveler later on yesterday.
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 11:57   #228
rollingthunder

It has been a week since the all too brief appearance of the adult Med Gull but Todd turned up trumps with a lunchtime visit that yielded the largest party of waders i have heard of there for quite a while - 7 Common Sandpipers

I was cycling up later anyway but when i got there i found nothing despite combing the edge. I quickly checked all the other pools picking up the LTD on the V pool and went back up to Fens Top Pool where i intended spending an hour finger-drumming and checking out the 100+ large Gulls. I heard the distinct flight call of a Common Sand and picked up the 7 birds that had now split into a 2-3-2 formation - quite how i missed them when i arrived is something that troubles me. I managed to scope them all to see if any were juveniles but they were all adults. I cannot see them managing to breed in time but where there's a will.....

As already stated the problem with afternoon visits to FP is you never know what or who you will bump into to make you look around to see if they are filming Little Britain. Todays idiot was a young girl, possibly the Mother of the kid, riding around on an off road ATV. No thought for what might happen to the child - just the sort of people you do not want passing on their Genes - DNA or stonewashed. There is always a socio-economic group of feckless fecund teenagers in the area that to them getting pregnant is second nature as they come from households where it is the norm and giving birth is just like shelling peas.....

What worries me is that they are supposed to be paying my pension - good birding.

Laurie

Attached: Sandpipers that are not actually that Common at FP and something that is all too common...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2743 Jul. 03 12.10.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	731271  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2744 Jul. 03 12.12.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	731272  Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_2745 Jul. 03 12.13.jpg
Views:	20