• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spidertech adaptor for Leica Zoom obj. (1 Viewer)

nepdk

I have just bought at nice Spidertech adaptor for my Leica 20-60 zoom ocular (the newest ocular version with a lock). Spidertech tells me to remove the lock on the ocular to fit the adaptor - has anyone tried this?? Can it be done with no risk to harm the ocular?

Thanks in advance
Niels Petersen
Denmark

I have not seen the locking system of the new Leica eyepiece, but it hurts me to hear that Spidertech tells you to modify *Leica* in order to make their adapter to fit. No - take a Dremel-tool (or the like) and make a hole in the adapter cylinder so that you don't have to remove anything from the scope.

Ilkka

iporali said:
I have not seen the locking system of the new Leica eyepiece, but it hurts me to hear that Spidertech tells you to modify *Leica* in order to make their adapter to fit. No - take a Dremel-tool (or the like) and make a hole in the adapter cylinder so that you don't have to remove anything from the scope.

Ilkka

Thanks for your ansver Iklla! Actually, it's not that easy, as the "lock" on the ocular hinders the application of the "ring" that has to be mounted on the ocular. That is, the problem in not solved only by making a new hole in the adaptor cylinder.
I have asked the dealer of my scope about affection of garantee etc. if I dismounts the lock from the ocluar. Got this answer: "Yes this can be unscrewed without too much problem. This should not be a major issue." Therefore I have today dismounted the lock (two screws to be untightened) an now the adaptor seems to fit very well! If I should regret the dismounting, it shold be very easy to remount it.

Thanks for the reply!

Niels

nepdk said:
... it's not that easy, as the "lock" on the ocular hinders the application of the "ring" that has to be mounted on the ocular. That is, the problem in not solved only by making a new hole in the adaptor cylinder.

OK! Glad to hear you have a working setup now. I too believe that the lack of locking system is not that critical - you just have an eyepiece like they all used to be earlier. And when the camera is attached, it practically tightens the eyepiece with its weight. I just find it very hard to accept that if an adapter is not designed well enough, you have to modify something that is so well designed. I saw an image of the new Leica zoom and I think you could cut a slot (not a hole - sorry) on the "scope-end" of the cylinder(s). But if the system works now... (=if it ain't broke) there probably is no need to fix it anymore ;)

Looking forward to seeing your digiscoping-images!

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back