• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see Raptors? (1 Viewer)

jayuk22

hello, im a birder from the north-east of england and my particular interest is raptors, now i know where i can go within the NE to view most of the raptors but i dont know any sites where i can view Peregrines, Merlin (i presume upland) and Hobby (again upland)
could anyone tell me where there are good sites to view the said birds?
p.s i know there are Peregrines around the North Tees area in winter but it would be nice to watch them in summer too
thanks .........

Well - we saw peregrines and buzzards recently in the Northumberland valleys. The most common raptor by far was the kestrel, but late afternoon off the crags there were a few peregrines. The best valleys were College, Ingram and Harthope. I was told merlin were there, too, but I think you would have to treck far up the valley sides and then be lucky to catch a glimpse! I should thing the odd hen harriers breed there, if they can escape the gamie!

Getting a bit late to look for them in the upland, I would have thought. In general I think the best chance of seeing Hobbys from now on are over reedbeds, or other places, where hirundines congregate to roost. For Merlin I would have thought the Seal Sands area would be a likely place in winter - they're quite partial to waders!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back