Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bartley reservoir

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 19th June 2013, 19:36   #1
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Bartley reservoir

Does anyone know if Bartley reservoir is being watched by anyone on a daily basis. Or if it is being watched regularly at all.

I've been over there several times over the last couple of months and up until now I haven't encountered another birder.

But anyway, Bartley this evening:

137 LBB Gulls
19 Herring Gulls
6 GC Grebes
34 Canadas
8 Swallows
4 Whitethroats
2 Blackcaps
2 Chiffchaffs
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2013, 19:42   #2
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
 
Phil Andrews's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Royal Sutton Coldfield
Posts: 17,312
During the winter months the likes of Terry Hinnett still regularly trawl through the gull roost; not sure outside of these times.
__________________
Upton Warren Life List: 199 (latest: Iceland Gull)
British Life List: 493 (latest: Asian Desert Warbler)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Phil Andrews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2013, 21:45   #3
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Thanks, Phil. Might as well start covering it then
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th June 2013, 23:56   #4
keithr
Relapsus resurgam
 
keithr's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Heath Birmingham U.K.
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_zodiac View Post
Does anyone know if Bartley reservoir is being watched by anyone on a daily basis. Or if it is being watched regularly at all.

I've been over there several times over the last couple of months and up until now I haven't encountered another birder.

But anyway, Bartley this evening:

137 LBB Gulls
19 Herring Gulls
6 GC Grebes
34 Canadas
8 Swallows
4 Whitethroats
2 Blackcaps
2 Chiffchaffs
It always seems to be a very long distance wherever you view from and I never feel comfortable parking anywhere near it.

Keith
keithr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 20th June 2013, 04:38   #5
rollingthunder
Registered User
 
rollingthunder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: stourbridge west midlands
Posts: 4,756
We park on the road overlooking the picnic tables then walk down and have a good scan from there - never had a problem....

Laurie
__________________
Chance favours the prepared mind
rollingthunder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 20th June 2013, 20:59   #6
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Yeah, Laurie, thats where I tend to park, and by walking along the fence line for a hundred yards or so I can see all the reservoir. Mind you my being 6ft 4ins tall is an advantage for seeing over the fence rather than looking through it

To be honest though, I feel easier there than I do at Sandwell Valley.
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 20th June 2013, 21:40   #7
keithr
Relapsus resurgam
 
keithr's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Heath Birmingham U.K.
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_zodiac View Post
Yeah, Laurie, thats where I tend to park, and by walking along the fence line for a hundred yards or so I can see all the reservoir. Mind you my being 6ft 4ins tall is an advantage for seeing over the fence rather than looking through it

To be honest though, I feel easier there than I do at Sandwell Valley.
I HATE places with fences.....suppose they have not burnt anything down at Bartley...mind you there's nowt to burn.

I did visit here a bit in the 70's (nineteen) but as I don't keep records it's all a bit vague as to what I saw.A Diver keeps coming into my brain - mind you I can remember the Diver at Brierley Hill so it's probably that one.

I wonder if I get an astronomical telescope I could check up from on Beacon Hill (Lickeys)....
Keith
keithr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 22nd June 2013, 09:00   #8
rollingthunder
Registered User
 
rollingthunder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: stourbridge west midlands
Posts: 4,756
Steve - at 6 four i do'nt think your going to have any trouble anyway mate

Laurie
__________________
Chance favours the prepared mind
rollingthunder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 27th June 2013, 22:13   #9
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
The rain didn't bring much down this afternoon apart from a few Swifts and Swallows. Also.....

28 Herring Gulls
180 Lesser Black Backs

Family parties of Whitethroats; Sedge Warblers feeding young; plus 2 Bullfinches, Kestrel, Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, 2 Grey Herons et al
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 28th June 2013, 21:05   #10
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Couple of hours at Bartley this afternoon.....

Gull numbers down on yesterday, but a couple of hundred Swifts (all Common), plus lower numbers of House Martins and Swallows. 35 Canadas, 4 Grey Herons, usual warblers, Yellowhammer, GS Woodpecker.
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 29th June 2013, 09:34   #11
UW82
Registered User
 
UW82's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BIRMINGHAM
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_zodiac View Post
Couple of hours at Bartley this afternoon.....

Gull numbers down on yesterday, but a couple of hundred Swifts (all Common), plus lower numbers of House Martins and Swallows. 35 Canadas, 4 Grey Herons, usual warblers, Yellowhammer, GS Woodpecker.
I know a couple of people who visit on a fairly regular basis.


Des.
UW82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 29th June 2013, 15:11   #12
Stratton Birder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Stratton
Posts: 442
I visited Bartley out of sheer curiosity whilst passing through the West Midlands on 19th and 20th May and expected it to be surrounded by a couple of housing estates and half a dozen tower blocks so I was pleasantly surprised by the largely rural surroundings of the reservoir and the fantastic adjacent bluebell wood.

Two Common Terns were the best sighting over the reservoir but there were also many Swifts and all the regular hirundines. Lots of passerines were in the more bushy areas including several Blackcaps, Whitethroats one Garden Warbler and a male Bullfinch.

For an inland site just outside a major city you could do a lot worse than here and if I lived locally I would certainly pay it regular visits. Next time I pass through the area I would like to give it another look as you can work the whole area pretty thoroughly in two or three hours.
Stratton Birder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 30th June 2013, 05:51   #13
rollingthunder
Registered User
 
rollingthunder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: stourbridge west midlands
Posts: 4,756
Agreed - the setting is decidedly rural and the viewpoint from the picnic area is a good position if you have a 30x scope.

Laurie
__________________
Chance favours the prepared mind
rollingthunder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 1st July 2013, 21:44   #14
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Apart from the local sailing club access is restricted to outside of the perimeter fence, officially, but in the summer months the local teenagers do climb over the steel gates near the dam and use the reservoir for recreational means.
I can't really see the point of having the fence. I know the reservoir supplies the tap water for Birmingham, and that in effect could make it a terrorist target, but the fence isn't going to make a lot of difference if its there as a deterrent.

As for the bluebell wood, yes it is nice.......but unfortunately one or two strange people do hang about in there
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 06:57   #15
rollingthunder
Registered User
 
rollingthunder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: stourbridge west midlands
Posts: 4,756
You will have to meet them somewhere else then

Laurie
__________________
Chance favours the prepared mind
rollingthunder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 23:27   #16
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Still quiet at Bartley. Went on Wednesday morning (3rd) between 9am and 10am.

Even more family parties of Whitethroats than ever before, I think half the population of the UK have nested at Bartley this year.

Also 4 Song Thrushes, 30+ Swifts, 2 House Martins, 3 Herring Gulls, Chiffchaff, 4 GC Grebes, 1 Stock Dove plus the usual stuff.
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 4th July 2013, 08:26   #17
upstarts1979
Registered User
 
upstarts1979's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: REDDITCH WORCS
Posts: 8,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_zodiac View Post
Thanks, Phil. Might as well start covering it then
Hi Steve.
Back in the 70's and early 80's I used to do it on a daily basis when I was a field engineer. I saw a good delection of species. In those days Glaucous and Iceland gulls were regular during winter. My list includes: all 3divers, red necked grebe. Whooper swan. Leach's petrel. Pom skua just a few years ago. If the levels drop you can get a shingle shore appear on the SE side. Waders included knot. Sanderling. Little stint. Lapwings used to breed on the lower gield. If you drive past the church there is a small bridge with a small stream underneath it. In winter it used to be good for jack snipe and grey wag.
John
upstarts1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 4th July 2013, 14:28   #18
Brian Stretch
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WORCESTER
Posts: 1,767
Pictures of the Pom can be seen here.

Amazing to think that was nearly four years ago.

Brian
Brian Stretch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 4th July 2013, 15:47   #19
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
 
Phil Andrews's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Royal Sutton Coldfield
Posts: 17,312
Reported sightings since 2001 have included Sandwich Arctic and Black Tern, Common and Velvet Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Smew, Pomarine Skua, Great Northern Diver, Quail, Avocet, Sanderling, Turnstone, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Knot, Grey Phalarope, Kittiwake, Kumlien's Little Iceland Caspian Glaucous and Med Gulls, Slavonian Red-necked and Black-necked Grebe, Red-breasted Merganser, Osprey, Whooper Swan, Red-crested Pochard, Short-eared Owl, Stonechat, Whinchat, Red Kite, Brent and Pink-footed Goose, Nightingale and Ring Ouzel.
__________________
Upton Warren Life List: 199 (latest: Iceland Gull)
British Life List: 493 (latest: Asian Desert Warbler)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Phil Andrews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 4th July 2013, 23:32   #20
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstarts1979 View Post
Hi Steve.
Back in the 70's and early 80's I used to do it on a daily basis when I was a field engineer. I saw a good delection of species. In those days Glaucous and Iceland gulls were regular during winter. My list includes: all 3divers, red necked grebe. Whooper swan. Leach's petrel. Pom skua just a few years ago. If the levels drop you can get a shingle shore appear on the SE side. Waders included knot. Sanderling. Little stint. Lapwings used to breed on the lower gield. If you drive past the church there is a small bridge with a small stream underneath it. In winter it used to be good for jack snipe and grey wag.
John
Thanks John. I had a wander round the fields behind the church last week. I'm surprised how underwatched it is, I know its quiet at the moment but thats what you expect at this time of year. I'm optimistic, I know its going to get some good stuff this autumn
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 5th July 2013, 08:43   #21
keithr
Relapsus resurgam
 
keithr's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Heath Birmingham U.K.
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Reported sightings since 2001 have included Sandwich Arctic and Black Tern, Common and Velvet Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Smew, Pomarine Skua, Great Northern Diver, Quail, Avocet, Sanderling, Turnstone, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Knot, Grey Phalarope, Kittiwake, Kumlien's Little Iceland Caspian Glaucous and Med Gulls, Slavonian Red-necked and Black-necked Grebe, Red-breasted Merganser, Osprey, Whooper Swan, Red-crested Pochard, Short-eared Owl, Stonechat, Whinchat, Red Kite, Brent and Pink-footed Goose, Nightingale and Ring Ouzel.
I told ya it was crap .......

Keith

pic...a Gull ...the Beeches are on the right....taken through the bathroom window in West Heath last night ( a few miles away)....I always look at this view every day to judge the weather...most days its a blur with mist/cloud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon 148 116.jpg low.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	451082  

Last edited by keithr : Friday 5th July 2013 at 09:08.
keithr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 5th July 2013, 14:55   #22
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dawlish, Devon; in a seabird colony
Posts: 1,774
As soon as I saw a thread titled 'Bartley Reservoir' I instantly thought 'Bill Oddie'.
Can't forget his wonderful accounts of birding here in the mid-50's :
'Bartley: one Dabchick'
'Bartley: one Lesser Black-backed Gull'
while sites around were recording masses of birds.
__________________
Dave
davercox is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 5th July 2013, 19:46   #23
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by davercox View Post
As soon as I saw a thread titled 'Bartley Reservoir' I instantly thought 'Bill Oddie'.
Can't forget his wonderful accounts of birding here in the mid-50's :
'Bartley: one Dabchick'
'Bartley: one Lesser Black-backed Gull'
while sites around were recording masses of birds.
I recall him saying he went there because it was his own spot, and his incentive was to "rack up as many sets of initials in the WMBC Reports as he could, which wasn't difficult as he was the only one there".

Its a bit like the guy who has watched that cemetery in Kent for years......and the other week found the Dusky Thrush.

Personally, unless its a mega, I hate seeing other peoples birds, I like to go and find my own.

Last edited by steve_zodiac : Friday 5th July 2013 at 21:05.
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 5th July 2013, 19:49   #24
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
 
Phil Andrews's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Royal Sutton Coldfield
Posts: 17,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_zodiac View Post
I recall him saying he went there because it was his own spot, and his incentive was to "rack up as many sets of initials in the WMBC Reports as he could, which wasn't difficult as he was the only one there".

Its a bit like the guy who has watched that cemetery in Kent for years......and the other week found the Dusky Warbler.

Personally, unless its a mega, I hate seeing other peoples birds, I like to go and find my own.
Or even Thrush
__________________
Upton Warren Life List: 199 (latest: Iceland Gull)
British Life List: 493 (latest: Asian Desert Warbler)
Twitter: @pmandrews1973
Phil Andrews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 5th July 2013, 21:08   #25
steve_zodiac
Registered User
 
steve_zodiac's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Darlaston, Black Country
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Or even Thrush
I sat here and thought "What's he on about" .........Ive changed it........it was a Dusky Warbler at Sheepwash......which was another good find on a local patch.
steve_zodiac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bartley midlands birder West Midlands 0 Saturday 4th February 2012 17:41
Quite a day at the reservoir! Fozzybear Birds & Birding 22 Thursday 15th April 2010 18:02
abberton reservoir vs hanningfield reservoir silvercrest Birds & Birding 12 Sunday 10th May 2009 22:04
Grey Phalarpe-Blithfield Reservoir & Shustoke Reservoir-Help please? Jeremy Gloucestershire Your Birding Day 8 Monday 1st October 2007 22:52
Bartley Reservoir andythomas West Midlands 0 Friday 19th September 2003 09:23



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.19270802 seconds with 38 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58.