Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Australia - East Gippsland

Old Tuesday 29th March 2005, 22:12   #1
JJP

Australia - East Gippsland

Recently I went to Australia for my second time (from the U.S.). I've birded much of Queensland, but this time I had an opportunity to bird E. Gippsland in SE Victoria (Snowy River country).

I was surprised to find almost no published information on that area. Steve Clark's birding page mostly deals with areas west of where we were.

I enjoyed the trip very much, and although the trip was not specific to birding, I got in quite a bit.

The following is trip report and my humble take on the status and distributuion in my small window of time during the fall.

http://www.nctexasbirds.com/EGippsland.htm
Old Wednesday 30th March 2005, 15:14   #2
Edward
Umimmak

Seems like you had a good trip, JJP. It's an area I've not been to before (I've only been to Queensland and Sydney), so I would have had 33 lifers in that trip. I must get down there on my next visit to see Superb Lyrebird and Pilotbird especially.

E
Old Wednesday 30th March 2005, 18:48   #3
JJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
Seems like you had a good trip, JJP. It's an area I've not been to before (I've only been to Queensland and Sydney), so I would have had 33 lifers in that trip. I must get down there on my next visit to see Superb Lyrebird and Pilotbird especially.

E
E.

There are lots of national parks to roam in and significantlly little information about the avifauna. It's ripe for research and study.

Errinundra National Park remains one of great national parks I''ve ever visited. It's a rainforest of truly prehistoric proportions. Gang-Gang Cockatoos, lyrepirds and pilotbirds can all be found there, and well as at least 3-4 robin species in season.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: