• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark identification required (1 Viewer)

aili22

Hello All
Need help to identify this lark. I took the photographs from Multan, Punjab, Pakistan On 20 August 2017.
Sorry for not so clear pics.

Attachments

• DSC_8476.jpg
    DSC_8476.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_8477.jpg
    DSC_8477.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_8478.jpg
    DSC_8478.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_8481.jpg
    DSC_8481.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 113
Hi, is this definitely a lark? Really hard to see any detail of the bill, and can't really judge tail length, but might it be a Tawny Pipit?

Doesn't look a pipit to me, I'd say this is a Crested Lark.

That was my thought too.

One can almost sense that the tertials are slightly shorter than the primaries, and the wing in particular has the pattern and structure of that robust species.

Peter

Last edited:
Just does not look like a Lark to me, apparently small bill is better for a Pipit despite Peter's 'sense' of the tertials IMHO.....?

A

Just does not look like a Lark to me, apparently small bill is better for a Pipit despite Peter's 'sense' of the tertials IMHO.....?

A

I also sense that a Pipit (perhaps in particular such a long-legged species as Tawny Pipit) would have a different stance, and would be anatomically/proportionally at a variance with our subject;)

Peter

Looking at these again I tend to agree it looks more lark than pipit, especially the first photo.

Looking at these again I tend to agree it looks more lark than pipit, especially the first photo.

On what though?

Choices are fairly limited and it just doesn't look bulky enough or have the right bill structure for Crested lark to me?

I'm sticking with Pipit until someones qualifies why it's a Lark and what Lark

A

Last edited:
I like your attitude:t:

There's got to be some evidence to ones "feel" or "sense" of the genus.

Here's one more "de-tail" in favour of Crested Lark versus Tawny Pipit: the tail projection is shorter in the former than in the latter.

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=57516

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=57887

Peter

The bill structure alone, IMHO defeats you argument, way to small and narrow based than ant Crested I ever saw? I never looked at this and thought Lark?

A

Bulky shape, long thick streaks on chest, lack of long and evident submoustachial white stripe, all shout Crested Lark to me. Also bill base looks quite broad to me.

The bill structure alone, IMHO defeats you argument, way to small and narrow based than ant Crested I ever saw? I never looked at this and thought Lark?

A

Bill is one end of the bird. Tail is at the other end.

And I never looked at this lark and thought: Pipit!

People are different.

And so are birds.

Found a rather dainty-billed Crested, but with our bird we're looking at a set of blurred images....

https://www.shutterstock.com/da/vid...lark-bird-standing.html?src=rel/14027945:2/gg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back